The Student Room Group

OFFICIAL OCR A2 Biology - F214 Thread

Scroll to see replies

camsterhamster
alsooo can someone PLEASE explain to me this:
in the photosynthesis module, there's a double spread about limiting factors, and basically all i can figure out is that carbon dioxide, light and water levels all increase photosynthesis rate? what else do we need to know form that double spread? seriously like, i have no clue what else that spread talks about? so confusing? what do we need to knowww !!

This post is nothing useful but just letting you know you're not alone. Photosynthesis - all of it - is by far my worst area. It's just not sinking in :woo:
Tinkerbelle &#9829
This post is nothing useful but just letting you know you're not alone. Photosynthesis - all of it - is by far my worst area. It's just not sinking in :woo:

ahhhhh it is slightly comforting knowing that other people are slightly confused by the content of this STOOOOOOOOOOPID exam !!
rahh so annoyed, and i need to do well in this! grrrrrrr
btw has anyone applied to durham? i haven't got an offer yet and sent my ucas off in about october. fml
camsterhamster
thank goodness i've finally found a thread for this exam !!
arghhhh i can't believe how much there is to learn for just 30% aparrently? especially considering how many important processes there are which go into so much detail i.e. respiration and photosynthesis!
crazy times.
i'm probably having the most difficulty with understanding the hairpin countercurrent multiplier bit, like with the movement of salts across and all that crap, so confusing!!
also understanding non-cyclic photophosphorylation, it's so badly explained. i thought the electrnos moving along the electron carriers was to pump hydrogen ions into the thylakoid space but in the book all it bangs on about is how the energy is needed to make ATP and to reduce NADP...weird.
whoever posted those past paper questions is a god!!!
i have to do well in this exam, as overall for AS i got 239/300 which is one off an A, HOW FRUSTRATING IS THAT!???

haha good luck everyone :smile:

hey don't forget to rep+ me or else my hard work was for nothing lol:biggrin:
and im not god lol just tryin to help:smile:
I have compiled a file which is linked below, with all the questions relevant to the new specification from the Old Specification of 2804 (Central Concepts), so to save time searching for them and printing. Ive done this for paper's from Jan 02 - Jan 06.

(Sorry couldn't do them for June 06 onwards as the PDF files I have are protected so I can't edit them).

http://www.sendspace.com/file/omnaih

Alt Links

Spoiler

camsterhamster
ahhhhh it is slightly comforting knowing that other people are slightly confused by the content of this STOOOOOOOOOOPID exam !!
rahh so annoyed, and i need to do well in this! grrrrrrr
btw has anyone applied to durham? i haven't got an offer yet and sent my ucas off in about october. fml

photosynthesis is not that hard as long as you get the Big Picture then that's good. Now start doing those past paper questions on photosynthesis i posted because that should give you an idea of how much you know of this process:biggrin:
Remarqable M
ok if it is soo, here is it guys you first need to download it from mediafire:smile: becoz the file is about 2.20mb exceeds thestudentroom limit

don't forget to rep+ :biggrin:

Photosynethsis: http://www.mediafire.com/?1tnymydn5vt

Respiration: http://www.mediafire.com/?lngjzywlzzt

Homeostasis: http://www.mediafire.com/?53nwmnmwiwz

Excretion: http://www.mediafire.com/?mtngntoywtr

You do need Microsoft office 2007 to view it properly, otherwise you will have to sort out the questions if its out of place in the older Ms versions.:smile:
i believe this should be no problems for IT geeks lol

don't forget to tell me what you think of my post ok:P

Woaah thanks for this! Rep tomorrow. But, could you please also email me the excretion file as it doesn't seem to be opening. :frown:
camsterhamster
alsooo can someone PLEASE explain to me this:
in the photosynthesis module, there's a double spread about limiting factors, and basically all i can figure out is that carbon dioxide, light and water levels all increase photosynthesis rate? what else do we need to know form that double spread? seriously like, i have no clue what else that spread talks about? so confusing? what do we need to knowww !!

ye i know what you mean, theres a lot of stuff banging on about something to do with when dinosoaurs were alive :rolleyes: :biggrin: but like someone said when in doubt use the spec (and not just when in doubt)
Reply 127
That's all you need to know about in that spread. The important stuff is how these limiting factors affect the LDS/LIS respectively which are covered in a very good understandable way on the next spread.

+rep to Remarqable M and Liverpool F.C for the files, really appreciated.
Liverpool F.C.™
I have compiled a file which is linked below, with all the questions relevant to the new specification from the Old Specification of 2804 (Central Concepts), so to save time searching for them and printing. Ive done this for paper's from Jan 02 - Jan 06.

(Sorry couldn't do them for June 06 onwards as the PDF files I have are protected so I can't edit them).

http://www.sendspace.com/file/omnaih

Alt Links

Spoiler

Thank you so much for this, it has really saved me a lot of time.

Would you, by any chance, be able to upload the mark schemes for these questions as well?
ForeverDreaming
Thank you so much for this, it has really saved me a lot of time.

Would you, by any chance, be able to upload the mark schemes for these questions as well?

Like the rest of the papers, the Mark Schemes I have for the appropriate papers are all protected so My PDF Editor won't let me edit them. Ill look around If I can find a new bunch of them, If possible I'll upload them. :smile:
Liverpool F.C.™
Like the rest of the papers, the Mark Schemes I have for the appropriate papers are all protected so My PDF Editor won't let me edit them. Ill look around If I can find a new bunch of them, If possible I'll upload them. :smile:

ok thanks for this. When i'm a big TSR 'imperial overlord' i'll be sure to rep you for the papers. :biggrin:
Reply 131
chuck111
Ok guys heres the first installment with the question cards, they helped alot of ppl last year so hopefully theyll do the same this time :smile:. Umm if theres anything u think i have left out please tell me :smile:

the rest are coming soon, working on the hormone and excretion ones atm :smile:

Any updates on the question cards chuck ? :smile:
I've got loads of past questions and mark schemes for each section my biology teacher gave me but i haven't got word so i can veiw them but can't save and post them for you guys :frown:

How's everyone getting on with it ?
Reply 133
So whats the hardest topic in this module any views ?
Reply 134
MG.GULED
So whats the hardest topic in this module any views ?

I found excretion difficult at first...
and now I keep getting mixed up with photosynthesis and respiration :frown:
Hey guys, Hows it going?

I'm about to start revision... :frown:

I have done Photosynthesis/Respiration, but need to go over it to know the technicalities and match it up with the Spec.

I plan on doing excretion tonight/today ready for the Homeostasis module which looks terrifying! :frown:
Reply 136
Chunkeymonkey62
Hey guys, Hows it going?

I'm about to start revision... :frown:

I have done Photosynthesis/Respiration, but need to go over it to know the technicalities and match it up with the Spec.

I plan on doing excretion tonight/today ready for the Homeostasis module which looks terrifying! :frown:

You should be fine with homeostatis just need to understand negative feedback and like this with receptor , effector and how core body temperature is regulated in endotherms.
im going try to learn how to set up a practical for photosyinthesis something like that always comes up !
uer23
Any updates on the question cards chuck ? :smile:

Seconded. :wink:
Does anyone have access to F214 June 2009 Biology OCR paper?
with mark scheme please
lol I think this is going to be the first time this paper is going to be sit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending