The Student Room Group

California Attacks Civilised Society

Even though the economy of the state is falling apart, the Californians still dare to create a state day of recognition to honour a decadent pervert, Harvey Milk.

San Francisco Chronicle
Governor OKs Harvey Milk Day

Capping a remarkable year for slain San Francisco Supervisor Harvey Milk, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a bill to create a state day of recognition for Milk, making him only the second Californian, after naturalist John Muir, to receive the honor.

The governor signed the measure late Sunday along with new laws to help gay and lesbian people in the state, including a measure giving same-sex couples legally married in other states all the rights of marriage in California.

While the governor vetoed the bill honoring Milk last year, President Obama's awarding Milk the Presidential Medal of Freedom and an Academy Award-winning film about Milk's life moved Schwarzenegger to sign the bill, spokesman Aaron McLear said.

"The bill is symbolic of the importance of the gay community to California, which is why he signed it," McLear said, adding that Schwarzenegger wanted to "honor that community." It is the only such day of recognition for a gay or lesbian person in the United States.

The measure was among 478 bills signed by Schwarzenegger on Sunday, the deadline for him to act on legislation passed by the Legislature before its session ended Sept. 11. The governor vetoed 229 bills.

Milk, one of the first openly gay people elected in the United States, and San Francisco Mayor George Moscone were shot and killed by Dan White, a former supervisor, at City Hall on Nov. 29, 1978.

The measure mandates that the governor proclaim each May 22 as Harvey Milk Day in the state, to coincide with Milk's birthday. It will not be a state holiday. The bill signed by Schwarzenegger encourages public schools in the state to conduct lessons "remembering the life of Harvey Milk, recognizing his accomplishments and familiarizing pupils with the contributions he made to this state."

Formal recognition of Milk and the action on out-of-state same-sex marriage add to Schwarzenegger's legacy of having approved more legislation expanding gay rights than any other governor in state or national history, despite his vetoes of bills to extend marriage rights to same-sex couples.

In August, Schwarzenegger accepted the nomination of Milk to the California Hall of Fame, to which he will be inducted in December.

Sen. Mark Leno, D-San Francisco, who authored the legislation declaring a day honoring Milk, praised the governor for his action, saying it was an idea "whose time had come."

"This will go a long way to better inform Californians as to the nature of the civil rights struggle in the LGBT community," Leno said.

The measure was backed by Equality California, the largest gay-rights organization in the state. Geoff Kors, executive director of the group, said it would develop curriculum for schools and teachers to use on Milk's birthday.

Schwarzenegger's staff said the office heard from tens of thousands of people, for and against the bill.

The Campaign for Children and Families, which opposed the law, called it "the strongest impetus yet for loving parents to remove their children from anti-family public schools."

In addition to the Milk bill, Schwarzenegger signed another Leno bill affecting same-sex couples legally married outside of California.

The measure ensures that couples who wed before the passage of Proposition 8 in November retain their status as "married," while those who wed after the measure passed will retain all rights of marriage save the name. That means married couples who move to California will not have to register as domestic partners to have their relationships recognized by the state.

The governor also signed a bill that will expand funding for domestic violence programs targeting the gay and lesbian communities. He vetoed a measure to direct the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation to consider sexual orientation and gender identity in the housing of inmates, which the governor said occurs already.

Schwarzenegger vetoed a measure allowing transgender people who have left the state to request a new birth certificate reflecting their change in gender. He said a recent court ruling made that legal, making a law unnecessary.

This new development just shows how much the liberals really care for "freedom". Forced acceptance of homosexuality is now the rule.

Liberalism is tyranny.
Homosexuality is tyranny.

Scroll to see replies

Don_Scott
Forced acceptance of homosexuality is now the rule.

what's the alternative? let bigots have their poisonous anti-gay opinions go unchallenged?
Baz1990
the people who are anti gay are in my experinece secretly gay themselves or are munters

haha yes!
Reply 3
Pocket Calculator
what's the alternative? let bigots have their poisonous anti-gay opinions go unchallenged?

The bigotry of the homosexual activists must be opposed.
Reply 4
The Terminator will sort them out.
Reply 5
Don_Scott

:rolleyes: x a million.
Wow. Just wow. This thread is going to end badly.
Reply 7
bt541598
We shouldn't integrate homosexuality into society. It's perverse and should be swept under the rug. Sure, bum each other - but don't tell me I'm gunna have to teach my kids about your lecherous, self-seeking lifestyle as if it's perfectly natural.

What if your child turns out to be one these perverts and then takes his life because society despises who he is?

It happens to thousands of teenagers every year. Still, nevermind ey?
Reply 8
Nick_000
What if your child turns out to be one these perverts and then takes his life because society despises who he is?

It happens to thousands of teenagers every year. Still, nevermind ey?

I don't have any control over what society thinks. So I'm unsure how I'm supposed to respond to that.

However, if my child is gay I'll still love him*. I'd just tell him what I think, and encourage him to not let it consume his life. He can do what he likes though once he's an adult. I'll raise him to be the best version of himself, gay or straight.

*him/her
Reply 9
I'll pay for you anytime.
Reply 10
Your views are 200 years old, grow up and let go of religious dogmas. If you genuinely think homosexuality is a fallacy i feel sorry for you, Harvey Milk was a great man and to slur his name as 'pervert' really doesn't prove anything but your ignorance of something which is an unconscious human instinct.
Don_Scott

in what way are they bigoted? (besides being secondarily bigoted towards those who have an unfounded hatred of them)
Don_Scott

Don_Scott

Double Standards me thinks :yes:
Reply 13
Finding religion is like waking up one day and finding that you can no longer see.
Don_Scott
Even though the economy of the state is falling apart, the Californians still dare to create a state day of recognition to honour a decadent pervert, Harvey Milk.

This new development just shows how much the liberals really care for "freedom". Forced acceptance of homosexuality is now the rule.

Liberalism is tyranny.

As a fellow member of the Patriotic conservative party - you really need to tone down the vitriol against homosexuals. I don't see anything forced here, neither would many people call homosexuality perversion. If we care about freedom we should be concerned with statism - I agree to an extent that there is no need for this to be government endorsed - but neither is it tyranny. At best it is an attempt at cultural change - but to what extent does it reflect society rather then dominate it?
Stomm
Finding religion is like waking up one day and finding that you can no longer see.

are you religious?
are you blind?
are you neither?
Reply 16
Doyle&TheFourFathers
are you religious?
are you blind?
are you neither?

no
no
no
Reply 17
I think Don needs to come out of the closet :mmm:
Reply 18
I fail to see how allowing people to chose what they do with their lives is tyranny. To my knowledge heterosexuals are not being put in prison for their sexuality.
Reply 19
Don_Scott
Liberalism is tyranny.

Oxymoron, much? Liberalism is the belief in the importance of individual freedom. Tyranny is defined as the office, authority, government, or jurisdiction of a tyrant, or absolute ruler.

Don_Scott

Homosexality is the emotional and sexual feelings people have towards members of the same-sex. How does this constitute 'tyranny'?

Latest

Trending

Trending