The Student Room Group

parallels between gunpowder plot and 9/11 attacks

Not sure if this is the right thread to post in, but I was wondering if any of you could see any similarities between the Guy Fawkes gunpowder plot and the 9/11 attacks? Also, any ideas about how/if it influenced future terrorist attacks?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Yeah, guy fawkes actually planned on flying a couple of jets into the houses of parliment but then realised they weren't invented yet.
Reply 2
Pickford
Yeah, guy fawkes actually planned on flying a couple of jets into the houses of parliment but then realised they weren't invented yet.

:|
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Guy Fawkes plotted to directly bomb a political structure and assasinate the king the 9/11 bombings were an attack on a civillian target.
Also Catholics were subject to persecution in Britain at this time whereas the Muslim people were not being persecuted in America
There is a religious element to both attacks but due to different circumstances but I would call Fawkes plot an assasination attempt(albeit one with high possible collateral damage) whereas the 9/11 bombings were an act of terror against a civilian populace rather than a coutries leadership.
Reply 4
Nelo Angelo
Guy Fawkes plotted to directly bomb a political structure and assasinate the king the 9/11 bombings were an attack on a civillian target.

Osama Bin Laden has been quoted as saying he did not attack the towers or the pentagon purely to kill civilians. The main reason (apart from a twisted sense of retribution) Was to destroy the economic and military symbols of US power.

Also Catholics were subject to persecution in Britain at this time whereas the Muslim people were not being persecuted in America.

Yes, but many Muslims feel they are being persecuted by America in their own lands, wether directly ie, Afghanistan or indirectly through regime support. So really it depends which way you look at it. Bin Laden seemed to believe he was striking back in retribution for injustices carried out against Islam and Muslims:

God knows it did not cross our minds to attack the towers but after the situation became unbearable and we witnessed the injustice and tyranny of the American-Israeli alliance against our people in Palestine and Lebanon, I thought about it. And the events that affected me directly were that of 1982 and the events that followed -- when America allowed the Israelis to invade Lebanon, helped by the U.S. Sixth Fleet. As I watched the destroyed towers in Lebanon, it occurred to me punish the unjust the same way (and) to destroy towers in America so it could taste some of what we are tasting and to stop killing our children and women.
Osama bin Laden
Admitting responsibility for attacks on US on September 11, 2001, on videotape shown on Al Jazeera, October 29, 2004

To kill the Americans and their allies -- civilians and military -- is an individual duty for every Muslim who can do it in any country in which it is possible to do it, in order to liberate the al-Aqsa Mosque [Jerusalem] and the holy mosque [Mecca] from their grip, and in order for their armies to move out of all the lands of Islam, defeated and unable to threaten any Muslim.
Osama bin Laden
In Fatwa entitled Jihad Against Jews and Crusaders World Islamic Front Statement, February 28, 1998

We declared jihad against the US government, because the US government is unjust, criminal and tyrannical. It has committed acts that are extremely unjust, hideous and criminal, whether directly or through its support of the Israeli occupation of the Prophet's Night Travel Land [Palestine].
Osama bin Laden
CNN interview 1997

We, God willing, will continue to fight you and will continue martyrdom operations inside and outside the United States until you abandon your oppression and foolish acts.
Osama bin Laden
Demanding US withdraw from Iraq, in audiotape broadcast on Al Jazeera, October 18 2003

There is a religious element to both attacks but due to different circumstances but I would call Fawkes plot an assasination attempt(albeit one with high possible collateral damage) whereas the 9/11 bombings were an act of terror against a civilian populace rather than a coutries leadership.

I agree only on the assasination point. Both plots were attacks against symbols of power, both plots had, or would have had a high level of collateral damage, both plots were more to do with a rebellion against what was seen by the individuals as opression which were then smeared with a veneer of religous rightousness.
Reply 5
I think there are many similarities, some startlingly, particularly in regards to the social perceptions. There were arguments, suggestions and quotes that were made throughout the 16th and early 17th century that are repeated in conversations today about terrorism and religion. I'm actually in the early stages of compiling a piece to write on about this but not sure how to present it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Meus
I think there are many similarities, some startlingly, particularly in regards to the social perceptions. There were arguments, suggestions and quotes that were made throughout the 16th and early 17th century that are repeated in conversations today about terrorism and religion. I'm actually in the early stages of compiling a piece to write on about this but not sure how to present it.

Will you post it on TSR? I usually enjoy the articles and such you post on here as they tend to be very wel thought out and well written.
Reply 7
Original post by Aj12
Will you post it on TSR? I usually enjoy the articles and such you post on here as they tend to be very wel thought out and well written.

Of course, but if you like I can point you to the specific book I'm reading.
Reply 8
Well, let's start with the obvious. They both used aeroplanes...
Reply 9
Original post by Meus
Of course, but if you like I can point you to the specific book I'm reading.

Sure:smile:
Reply 10
Reply 11

Thanks will watch when Im more awake tomoz.:smile:
Reply 12
They both wanted to blow up a building which was a symbol to that society, that is where the similarities end. Although I think they all had beards of some sort.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending