The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Its hard to give a hint which doesn't give away the answer immediately, but start by thinking about the "standard" proof that there are infinitely many prime numbers... :smile:
Reply 2
funny you are on the same course.
Reply 3
danny111
funny you are on the same course.

Indeed. In fact P&B, why are we still up? We have two lectures tomorrow morning... :p:
Reply 4
sonofdot
Indeed. In fact P&B, why are we still up? We have two lectures tomorrow morning... :p:

whats P&B. and lol, ouch.
Reply 5
danny111
whats P&B. and lol, ouch.

as in "Pork and Beans", the OP
Reply 6
i see, maybe thats my cue to go bed...
Reply 7
Pork and Beans
"Does there exist 100 consecutive natural numbers none of which is prime?"

The answer's obviously yes, but is there any way to prove this other than by checking on a list of prime numbers?

I remember this question. Consider 100! and nearby numbers.
Reply 8
zdo0o
ok this is pretty weird but for some reason i had the idea to look at your very first post ever and found, on that page, a quote from you, in 2004:

Is Further Maths worth the trouble??
I intend to study medicine at uni, and i in tend to study further maths at AS. Is it worth it??

what made you switch from medicine to maths? your answer could be very influential so please tell :P

Whoa! Blast from the past! :rofl:

Essentially, I realised that I didn't really have much social concern and I didn't have the patience with people that a doctor needs. Thought about doing Economics, Engineering, Physic and a few assorted other subjects. Ended up choosing maths because I didn't want to write essays.
Pork and Beans
"Does there exist 100 consecutive natural numbers none of which is prime?"

The answer's obviously yes, but is there any way to prove this other than by checking on a list of prime numbers?

Well. Can you think of a number n such that n is composite, n+1 is composite, n+2 is composite, ..., n+99 is composite?

Simpler question: what if you only had to find 5 such consecutive numbers? Don't just look for them, think about what you'd do. Try something like making the first number divisible by 2, the second divisible by 3...

zdo0o
hey this is serious business here, this could be my whole life direction changed based on your replies! :P

Don't assume he's not entirely serious. I certainly didn't want to write essays.
Reply 10
zdo0o
hey this is serious business here, this could be my whole life direction changed based on your replies! :P

That was my main reason! At the time I was good enough to apply for a variety of subjects. Decided that I didn't like writing extended prose so went for the subject that would minimise it. It worked.
Reply 11
zdo0o
ok aaaand what is your career intention now that you've graduated? :smile:

Actuarial hopefully.
yusufu
Actuarial hopefully.

Ah well, nice knowing you.
Reply 13
generalebriety
Ah well, nice knowing you.

lol.
zdo0o
lol, what are you doing/will you do?

Dunno. Not thinking about that until I have to.
Thanks everyone. The 100! thing makes sense.

Latest