The Student Room Group

Maths help

Q1. The town hall clock gains two minutes every hour . The clock at the library is accurate.They both chime on every quarter hour. Both clocks are set at 12:00 noon on Monday so they chime together
a) At what time and day will they next chime together?
b)At what time and day will they next chime on the hour together
Reply 1
Is it not just 12:15 then 1:00 both on Monday?
Reply 2
Ah no wrong for b sorry
I'll help you with 'a' (I could be wrong though :tongue:)

TH clock chimes every quarter hrs. This means that the clock needs 7.5 hrs (real time) for it to gain 15 minutes. The library clock needs 15 minutes to gain 15 minutes. Now, 7.5 hrs is 7.5*60 minutes (450 minutes). 450 is a multiple of 15; therefore, if TH chimes, then library will chime. But, the library will chime for every multiple of 450 minutes. This means that they will both chime at the same time every 450n minutes, where n is a natural number :h:
Reply 4
Wait where r u getting real time from
and the answer to part a is 7:25
Original post by Official-21

Both clocks will chime every quarter hrs on each clock. TH clock is not accurate (therefore not real time), library clock is accurate (therefore real time)

Well I got 19:30 :s-smilie:
Reply 7
But by quarter hour does not mean 15 past and 45 to and also i have another question pqr^3=270
find the value of p,q,r
But by quarter hour does not mean 15 past and 45 to and also i have another question pqr^3=270
find the value of p,q,r

find the prime factors of 270
a) The first time the town hall clock will chime is at the closest quater hour which is 15 minutes away in regular time. As the clock only gains two minutes per hour, it will take 7.5 hours to gain 15 mins. 12:00pm + 7.5hrs = 19:30pm.
b) Using the same method as part a, the next hour will take the town hall clock 7.5*4 = 30 hours. This will take us to 6:00pm on tuesday. This is the time they will both chime together next on the hour.
To solve use prime factor trees and then put in Bennett diagrams to see the HCF and LCM. It’s pretty easy from there but that is the skills you need
Original post by Zalvager
a) The first time the town hall clock will chime is at the closest quater hour which is 15 minutes away in regular time. As the clock only gains two minutes per hour, it will take 7.5 hours to gain 15 mins. 12:00pm + 7.5hrs = 19:30pm.
b) Using the same method as part a, the next hour will take the town hall clock 7.5*4 = 30 hours. This will take us to 6:00pm on tuesday. This is the time they will both chime together next on the hour.

Thank you very much i got the same answer for part b 6:00 but my textbook says 4:00 but the concept makes sense
Original post by Hannah28xx
To solve use prime factor trees and then put in Bennett diagrams to see the HCF and LCM. It’s pretty easy from there but that is the skills you need

you see i did not see it that way but thanks a lot
Thank you for helping everyone? Are you guys taking GCSE's too? If so how do you do well?
Tips please especially for English
I went to my teachers for 2 years no-one managed to figure it out thanks a lot
Reply 15

How is it 7:25 when they both chime on the quarter hour

Quick Reply

Latest