The Student Room Group

Parametrization of a 2D plane in three dimensions

Ok, I don't really understand how I can't do this, but it's late and I'm tired so I would appreciate some help.

We've got a unit cube, centred on the origin, in the first octant. How can I parametrize each face using two variables?

My first guess was that for the face in the xz plane, we could have

r(x,y) = (x,y,x)

But this turns out to be wrong.

Help, please?
If it's in the xz plane, you want y = 0.
Yeah, I considered that, too, but that's even worse cause then there is no way to get a non-zero value of the vector product of the partial derivative with respect to x and the partial derivative with respect to y. The partial derivative with respect to y is just the zero vector. Do not want. Where am I going wrong?

The worst bit is I know exactly what the vector surface element of this plane is, I just have to play the game for this problem sheet
I don't know what exactly you're looking for; if the y-coordinate of this plane isn't changing, why are you trying to take derivatives with respect to it?
I've got to find the vector surface element. Which, I'm pretty damn sure is dS = (0,-1,0)^Tdxdt, am I right? I've got to do it the long winded way though finding the vector product of the partial derivatives with respect to x and y. This involves parametrizing the surface. At the same time, though, you're right, y should not be involved. But, it has to be? This makes no sense. I have done much harder questions than this.
You're meant to be differentiating with respect to x and z, as those are your parameters. You'll end up crossing (1,0,0) with (0,0,1), which is (0,-1,0) as you predicted.
Ah, I see! Thanks very much. I'm sending mad internet love your way.
Cool. :wink: No problem.

Latest