The Student Room Group

Next step from beginning [python]

So I've got the basics down, [e.g arithmetic, functions, variables, lists, dictionaries, built in functions], where can I find a project that'd test me on it, and then secondly, what should I learn next?
Reply 1
Original post by UndecisiveBoy
So I've got the basics down, [e.g arithmetic, functions, variables, lists, dictionaries, built in functions], where can I find a project that'd test me on it, and then secondly, what should I learn next?

Loads of stuff you could do really, might be worth making some sort of Caesar Shift program that draws on that, a basic Command Line Interface for Maths inputs. Something simple that I'd recommend to a lot of people is a program that takes a Username and Password from a user, then checks if it fits with those in a couple of lists. Have different outputs depending on if you got the username right, just the password right, neither, etc. Uses a lot of good stuff.
Also: this website has some good ideas.
Might also be worth doing a GCSE paper maybe (Edexcel paper 2 springs to mind), which have some questions/projects you can do.

In regard to moving on, I'd recommend firstly (I'm presuming you know loops by the way? Didn't mention it, if not check them out):
Exploring Python lists more:

Check out the 'filter()', 'map()', etc., 'max()' and 'min()', list comprehension and other such things.

File handling is also very useful, might be worth checking out.
It's also worth checking out general usage of packages and also having multi-file programs.
Delving deeper into Python, I would highly recommend checking out Object Oriented Programming (OOP), it's in basically every language and is very useful.

And then, it might be worth checking out other libraries depending on what you want to do: tkinter for graphics; matplotlib for graphing; etcetera - there are too many to list.
I did one of my first big projects with the BeautifulSoup library, as a web-scraper. Used a lot of pure Python but was a good introduction to generally managing code.

Also worth checking out things like API calls, creating an API, using frameworks like Django or Flask (used for websites), or even connecting to a local SQL server to store data and make a program like that.

A lot of that later stuff might seem a bit too end-game, but it might be something to work towards! There are a lot of Python roadmaps out there if you care to look. Hopefully this helps :biggrin:. Best of luck, and feel free to reply or DM me with any further questions!
Original post by {Moss}
Loads of stuff you could do really, might be worth making some sort of Caesar Shift program that draws on that, a basic Command Line Interface for Maths inputs. Something simple that I'd recommend to a lot of people is a program that takes a Username and Password from a user, then checks if it fits with those in a couple of lists. Have different outputs depending on if you got the username right, just the password right, neither, etc. Uses a lot of good stuff.
Also: this website has some good ideas.
Might also be worth doing a GCSE paper maybe (Edexcel paper 2 springs to mind), which have some questions/projects you can do.

In regard to moving on, I'd recommend firstly (I'm presuming you know loops by the way? Didn't mention it, if not check them out):
Exploring Python lists more:

Check out the 'filter()', 'map()', etc., 'max()' and 'min()', list comprehension and other such things.

File handling is also very useful, might be worth checking out.
It's also worth checking out general usage of packages and also having multi-file programs.
Delving deeper into Python, I would highly recommend checking out Object Oriented Programming (OOP), it's in basically every language and is very useful.

And then, it might be worth checking out other libraries depending on what you want to do: tkinter for graphics; matplotlib for graphing; etcetera - there are too many to list.
I did one of my first big projects with the BeautifulSoup library, as a web-scraper. Used a lot of pure Python but was a good introduction to generally managing code.

Also worth checking out things like API calls, creating an API, using frameworks like Django or Flask (used for websites), or even connecting to a local SQL server to store data and make a program like that.

A lot of that later stuff might seem a bit too end-game, but it might be something to work towards! There are a lot of Python roadmaps out there if you care to look. Hopefully this helps :biggrin:. Best of luck, and feel free to reply or DM me with any further questions!

Thanks a lot, really helpful! My last project was in school python which was talking about exporting inputs to a csv file and being able to retrieve from it, Although I didn't really understand much from the CSV library, I could comprehend the 2D array [if thats what it was called?]
Reply 3
Original post by UndecisiveBoy
Thanks a lot, really helpful! My last project was in school python which was talking about exporting inputs to a csv file and being able to retrieve from it, Although I didn't really understand much from the CSV library, I could comprehend the 2D array [if thats what it was called?]

Hey that's great, yeah reading from CSVs is another great thing to have! It would return a 2d array, you're right, basically a list that contains lists (though the description ranges across languages), so that's brilliant! Being able to read different dimensions of arrays is really useful.
If you ever struggle understanding any of these libraries, like the CSV one you mention finding odd, it's worth searching Google for their 'docs', they provide a nice rundown of what their functions do, which might be worth considering?
Reading normal text files is similar but a lot easier, so I would recommend checking that out to get a general overview: they're also good for testing your other knowledge :smile:.

But yeah that's great, very glad to be of assistance! Best of luck once more :biggrin:
Original post by {Moss}

Hey that's great, yeah reading from CSVs is another great thing to have! It would return a 2d array, you're right, basically a list that contains lists (though the description ranges across languages), so that's brilliant! Being able to read different dimensions of arrays is really useful.
If you ever struggle understanding any of these libraries, like the CSV one you mention finding odd, it's worth searching Google for their 'docs', they provide a nice rundown of what their functions do, which might be worth considering?
Reading normal text files is similar but a lot easier, so I would recommend checking that out to get a general overview: they're also good for testing your other knowledge :smile:.

But yeah that's great, very glad to be of assistance! Best of luck once more :biggrin:

Yeah might check it out, depends what my teacher has in store for us in coding, I think he's planning on giving us an option of projects to do from a prompt, such as a 2 player dice game.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending