The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This happened to my friend once when I was with her and she does not have a criminal record. It was the same kind of situation, but they say it's your responsibility to buy a ticket, not their responsibility to sell one to you.

I doubt the fine's 2k to be honest, don't get frightened. It could be as little as £20 (which was what my friend's was) up to about £150, depending on how long the journey was. Obviously I'm not guaranteeing anything but I doubt the fine's going to be over £200!
Nick_000
Hate crime. You're lucky it wasn't jailtime.

It was done with a sense of irony. The victim is a massive homophobe who can't take a joke. The police reviewed it and eventually took the caution away, but that was after I bled through my ass to get a visa to the USA.
See you in about 10 years time *shakes head sadly as iron doors swing shut* ...

seriously? lol.
No. You'll get a fine. Probably £20. If you get caught again it will £50 i think.
I know somebody who has been caught four times and he then got a criminal record.
Why didn't you tell them you left it on the train?
tea_or_coffee?
I know its partially my fault for not asking for a ticket, but surely the train company must also be to blame for not asking me to buy one?

Er, not in the slightest? You know the rules, you know you are required to purchase a ticket. If you didn't buy one beforehand, you should have bought one afterwards.
Reply 26
Should we all pay taxes and then we can get on a trainw whenever we want, for free? :wink:
Don't you normally get a ticket before going on the train?
of course not. I got caught once and lied (foolishly) to them about my details, but of course was found out. Even then just got the standard fine.
My friend did this too, he only got a £25 fine and a snotty letter from the train company saying if he didn't pay it they would take him to court. Nothing to worry about, just pay it and have it over and done with. No criminal record.
Reply 30
Age_of_Innocence
of course not. I got caught once and lied (foolishly) to them about my details, but of course was found out. Even then just got the standard fine.

How did you get caught giving fake details? I would 100% give fake details in that situation
I've been asked for a ticket at Nottingham before, and I had genuinely left it on the train. Naturally, they didn't believe me, and they were just about to make a point about this before realising that I had already vacated the premises at one hundred miles per hour. I am a **** and I'm sure they're on the look-out for me: deluded *****. If they haven't got a ticket machine nor a ticket booth at the platform, they can go **** themselves. It's not my fault the ticket guy thought I'd blended into the train.
Reply 32
I thought travelling without a ticket was a £1000 fine?
Yekim_8
Nah I highly doubt it if it was a first offence. Should have just gave them fake contact details to be safe though :awesome:

If they are like our local ticket fine people they would have checked your details :p:

It's generally easier if you get caught just to be honest so you don't make things worse.
Q_M
I thought travelling without a ticket was a £1000 fine?

''The penalty is £20 or twice the full single fare from the station where the passenger got on the train to the next station at which the train stops, whichever is the greater.

If the passenger wants to travel beyond the next station, they must also pay the relevant fare from that station to their final destination.''

It can go up if you start messing around with not paying or it's repeat offences but one off it's as above.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/purchasing_tickets/penalty_fares.html
Reply 35
letsdothetimewarpagain
''The penalty is £20 or twice the full single fare from the station where the passenger got on the train to the next station at which the train stops, whichever is the greater.

If the passenger wants to travel beyond the next station, they must also pay the relevant fare from that station to their final destination.''

It can go up if you start messing around with not paying or it's repeat offences but one off it's as above.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/purchasing_tickets/penalty_fares.html

Ah apologies. I was half right. The £1000 fine is if you don't pay the penalty.
goodmen
How did you get caught giving fake details? I would 100% give fake details in that situation

They check at the time. They got onto somebody at "control", on a big handheld radio, and checked. Police possibly? I don't know. They then told me that was fraud, and I better start co-operating. There was a brief moment when I could have escaped them when we stopped at a station, but I was with a friend, who also hadn't a ticket, and he was blocked from getting out, so I left it.
tea_or_coffee?
OK, so i was on the train this morning on my way into manchester piccadilly, but the train driver never asked me to buy a ticket, so when i arrived at the station i got off the train and walked out of the station, but just as i was about to leave the building two men came up behind me and asked to see my ticket and i said i didn't have one.

They then took all me contact details and said i would be recieving a letter off them through the post. At this point i offered to pay for my ticket but they declined.

Am i liklely to get a crimminal record for this? Because if i do it will screw up the rest of my life, ie: much harder to get a job etc? I'm really worried:frown:

it was his fault. he was not doing his job. dont worry about it
Reply 38
sam.hunton
I have seen a lot of people prosecuted for this offence actually. Chances are, they often send you a letter detailing their penalty charge (often hefty), and if you fail to pay the charge, you will receive a summons, or a visit from the police, with a potential offer of a caution.

One way or another, if the police are involved you will end up with some kind of criminal record anywhere from a caution to a conviction.

In the eyes of the law it is entirely your fault. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse, and anyone that thinks they do not need a ticket to get on a train is deluded.

You could always look here: www.expertresponse.co.uk I used them once and they were quite helpful, but in reality, you know you should not have done that.

Ive read some of your posts now... and you're not very adventurous are you?

You are a daily mail reader i fancy..
Reply 39
This happened to one of my friends a while back an she got a £20 fine for it... But I do think it increases over time if you refuse to pay.

You should, in future, ask to buy a ticket on the train if this happens again. Even so, I really do doubt you'll get in any sort of serious trouble if you pay your fines on time etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending