The Student Room Group

Got caught using discounted Oyster card and now have to go to court, pls help.

I'm 20 and tried applying for an Oyster card but my application wasn't able to go through due to errors, even though I tried to fix it, it didn't work and my application wasn't processed. So I used my mums discounted Oyster card to get to college and back and got caught on my way to college. I used it a lot, around 40ish times, which makes matters so much worse.I panicked and told the inspector I picked up the wrong card by mistake and now its on record. I have to attend a court hearing and give my plea beforehand. I also just got accepted into nursing, where I stated I didn't have any criminal convictions. I'm scared it might go on my record and it might affect my acceptance and future prospects. How could I settle this out of court? Is there any way I can avoid getting a criminal conviction? How long would it stay? If anyone could help, I am going out of my mind. I'm really scared and feel so stupid.
bump!
Reply 2
There's information here on how someone dealt with a similar situation:

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/315268-caught-using-fathers-discounted-oyster-card-settled/

They seem to have only used it once or twice. May be worth making your own post on there to ask for advice.
Thank you, I have contacted the solicitor named in the TFL letter but he said that since its a criminal offence, it can't be settled out of court but to contact his team. I just feel so confused
Original post by marple
There's information here on how someone dealt with a similar situation:

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/315268-caught-using-fathers-discounted-oyster-card-settled/

They seem to have only used it once or twice. May be worth making your own post on there to ask for advice.
Reply 4
Original post by ThisIsBlank
he said that since its a criminal offence

Indeed. Get a solicitor.

Good advice on this dedicated forum: https://railforums.co.uk/forums/disputes-prosecutions.152/
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/jun/11/tfl-fines-bus-passenger-oyster-card
sounds like tfl will settle out of court for an exorbitant rate but you might have to accept a formal warning (although this is only from TFL and not the court)
this guy admitted his 'guilt' but they will also settle for mistaken use (not sure if they will believe u tho if u used it 40 times)
(edited 1 year ago)
I don't mind paying the fine, but I don't know if I'll be given the chance.
Original post by rebelw
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/jun/11/tfl-fines-bus-passenger-oyster-card
sounds like tfl will settle out of court for an exorbitant rate but you might have to accept a formal warning (although this is only from TFL and not the court)
this guy admitted his 'guilt' but they will also settle for mistaken use (not sure if they will believe u tho if u used it 40 times)
(edited 1 year ago)
Thank you, I'm on there now. I also don't have the money to get a solicitor.
Original post by Reue
Indeed. Get a solicitor.

Good advice on this dedicated forum: https://railforums.co.uk/forums/disputes-prosecutions.152/

If you are being taken to court for a crime I would expect you to qualify for legal aid and would suggest you look into it. You need a solicitor, not a bunch of bored internet randos.
Reply 9
Urgent
I’m in the same position what shall I do? Did you get a criminal record

I'm 20 and tried applying for an Oyster card but my application wasn't able to go through due to errors, even though I tried to fix it, it didn't work and my application wasn't processed. So I used my mums discounted Oyster card to get to college and back and got caught on my way to college. I used it a lot, around 40ish times, which makes matters so much worse.I panicked and told the inspector I picked up the wrong card by mistake and now its on record. I have to attend a court hearing and give my plea beforehand. I also just got accepted into nursing, where I stated I didn't have any criminal convictions. I'm scared it might go on my record and it might affect my acceptance and future prospects. How could I settle this out of court? Is there any way I can avoid getting a criminal conviction? How long would it stay? If anyone could help, I am going out of my mind. I'm really scared and feel so stupid.

You can try the citizens advice
Reply 11
Hi can you please how did it end this case with you bro as I have done the same thing did they issued you with criminal record let me know please

Original post by Meglouv
Hi can you please how did it end this case with you bro as I have done the same thing did they issued you with criminal record let me know please

Bro, he hasn’t logged on in over a year, you’re unlikely to get a response.
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest