The Student Room Group

HELP am i in trouble with trainline??

I am an international student at uni and i was traveling with a child ticket. When caught I panicked said I was 17 instead (because i did not want to say I am 20 traveling with under 16). I gave the TC my uncles address but unfortunately got the house number wrong initally because I only go over 1x a year so didnt know the exact house number. I stuck with the wrong house number for a while before checking my phone and finally giving the right one.
I also gave him a wrong DOB and not my actual one. He said a letter will arrive soon and I am okay with paying a fine and putting an end to this but I am not sh*t scared if its going to call me to court or something.
Anyone know whats going to happen????
Reply 1
I AM sh*t scared.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I am an international student at uni and i was traveling with a child ticket. When caught I panicked said I was 17 instead (because i did not want to say I am 20 traveling with under 16). I gave the TC my uncles address but unfortunately got the house number wrong initally because I only go over 1x a year so didnt know the exact house number. I stuck with the wrong house number for a while before checking my phone and finally giving the right one.
I also gave him a wrong DOB and not my actual one. He said a letter will arrive soon and I am okay with paying a fine and putting an end to this but I am not sh*t scared if its going to call me to court or something.

What do your visa conditions say about committing such offences?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1

You've committed a criminal offence, which can be prosecuted either under the Railway Byelaws, or under the Regulation of Railways Act 1889. If you plead guilty, or are found guilty, you'll get a criminal record.

You may be able to persuade the Train Operating Company (TOC) to allow you to pay an "out-of-court settlement" -- which looks like a fine, but isn't -- instead of prosecuting you.

You won't be in trouble with Trainline; their only involvement was to sell you a ticket.

From what I've read elsewhere, the TOC might request your purchase history from Trainline. If they see there's a pattern of you buying child fares that might prompt them to investigate further.

Why did you give your uncle's address if you're only there once a year? When the TOC write to you, they'll write to you at his address. You need to deal with that letter promptly, as that's your chance to get an out-of-court settlement rather than have the matter go to court.

I would suggest that you ask for advice in the Disputes & Prosecutions forum at RailUK Forums - they're very helpful in giving advice on how to proceed in these cases.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending