The Student Room Group

Zen Micro

Just wondering if anyone has one of these and can recommend it.

I have read some reviews on it and I know its better than an iPod Mini, the main things that came up on it though were:

1. The battery life is stated as 12 hours, however some have said it only lasts 3 or so.

2. The headphones socket sometimes goes wrong and the sound goes funny (this happened to my friends Creative MP3 player too).

I would just like to know if these are common problems or if they only happen to certain players. Also if they can be easily fixed.

Scroll to see replies

Oziris

I have read some reviews on it and I know its better than an iPod Mini, the main things that came up on it though were:

1. The battery life is stated as 12 hours, however some have said it only lasts 3 or so.

2. The headphones socket sometimes goes wrong and the sound goes funny (this happened to my friends Creative MP3 player too).

I would just like to know if these are common problems or if they only happen to certain players. Also if they can be easily fixed.

make sure your computer can run the software required by the zen micro. its like itunes but for creative. my friend got his and the program didn't work and now he's stuck with an mp3 but can't transfer O_O
Reply 2
spazingdonkey
make sure your computer can run the software required by the zen micro. its like itunes but for creative. my friend got his and the program didn't work and now he's stuck with an mp3 but can't transfer O_O

What computer did he have that it didnt work on, its worked fine on any i put it onto?
Reply 3
Oziris

I have the zen micro, and I love it. I haven't had any problems with it at all. My battery lasts about 9 hours (12 hours is the maximum, but i don't know of many people who's zen runs for 12 hours). An extra battery is good to invest in, so you can keep it charged, and ready to replace...i found that useful while i was traveling.

As far as the sound is concerned, it has better sound then the ipod mini!! my friends and I tested them out when I first got my zen, and there was a huge difference in the quality of the sound. This may have just been the headphones, but then again, I guess the headphones that come with the zen are better :smile: I haven't had any problems with the headphone socket.

bottom line: love the zen; love the display and blue light around it; fast start up; small (but a lil fatter then the ipod mini). I usually leave it in my purse or the top pocket of my backpack, so the fatness doesn't bother me. The sound is great; 1gb more space!!; I use the built in microphone to record all my lectures at uni; the software is good and easy to use; the vertical scroll pad is nice (but i had to change the sensitivity...it was tooooo sensitive!). The only thing i don't liek about it is that it doesn't come with as many accessories as the ipod mini...everything on the market for mp3 accessories is geared for the ipod family :frown: oh it has an FM tuner too...which is helpful at the gym :smile: If you have any more specific questions about it, let me know.
Reply 4
Thanks, i will be getting one when i find out where is cheap :wink:
I got the Zen and I had a problem with the headphone socket. It appears that they "know" theres a problem, but the newer models arent supposed to have a problem. With mine there was no problem exchanging at the shop, or I could send it to Creative. The new one is fine **touches wood!**.
Reply 6
Oziris

I love my Zen Micro.

1. The battery life is perfect, and all my music's encoded at 192kb/s or more. You'll get LOADS of life if you have it at 128kb/s.

2. That happens if you don't unplug your headphones, and instead leave them plugged in and wrap the cable around the Zen itself. It tugs at the socket and can damage it. Although you won't have any problems if you simply take out the headphones when you're not listening to it (or don't wrap them around it!). It happened to one of my friends.

My brother has an iPod Mini, and I'd take my Zen Micro (Black) over it any day. I think it's much better looking, I prefer the touchpad (although some may disagree), and I even found the sound is a bit clearer when directly comparing the two. I also find the MediaSource Organizer gives you much more power over the importing (and exporting, something an iPod can't do) of songs.

Go for it!

(Oh, and there's the added bonus of owning something that not every other person in the entire world has. Much more of a headturner than the iPod, if you care about that :p: )
Reply 7
Mr. Fox
(Oh, and there's the added bonus of owning something that not every other person in the entire world has. Much more of a headturner than the iPod, if you care about that :p: )

Yeah, that was my second or third reason for not getting an iPod, after the inferior battery life and the 1gb less space...i think they are more expensive too, but i havent looked.
Reply 8
i've got a zen micro too, and its pretty good so far, the only thing is that i never know when my batt is low and when it dies the whole player just hangs.. (to those with a zen micro, is it supposed to be like that?) other than that, no complains.

you could check out the zen neeon too, its smaller with the same functions and memory (if i'm not wrong). plus its prettier too!!
If your worried about battery life as the main feature - the creative zen touch (my mp3 player) will last 24 hours like it says on the box (u might have to turn the contrast down a bit and the backlight off tho!) However, it is a lot bigger than the zen micro - both physical size and its 20gb hard drive which can store about 10,000 192kbps mp3's - hence i haven't filled it! Not had any probs with it - and it's less than £150 now - I think! nearly as cheap as the ipod mini!!
Reply 10
Oziris

Hey! I've got one and I really like it. However, like you said, I find the battery runs out quicker than it's meant to- normally I charge it every 5 days or so and I only really listen to it walking to and back from school/ going to town/ whenever I'm on the move. Having said that, it looks gorgeous, the scrolling down bit is clever andthe choice of colours is huge. Mine's white.
Reply 11
does anyone know where i can find one as cheap as possible, ive found it at £140, but im sure there must be some cheaper. thanks...
Reply 12
Ebuyer have it for around £135 or Amazon have it for £133.90
it is very good and i wouldn't trade it for anything else. if anything, there is too much space for all my stuff and i've got about 40 odd CDs with recordings as well on it. its very useful for recording though - i play guitar and its useful to record rhythm and play lead over the top etc. buy it!
but 1 minor problem: it sometimes freezes up, but all you have to do is reset it by taking the battery out and putting it back in again. i don't know if it's typical of all micros but it occasionally - (every 3 months) freezes and you can't use the buttons until it's reset.
Reply 14
Reply 15
Might be worth mentioning I found the included drawstring pocket-case a nice little extra - I don't know what else I'd put my Zen Micro in. It's disappointing how the iPod mini doesn't ship with a pouch.
Reply 16
Nope but they're Creative so they usually work pretty damn well. Look funky too
Reply 17
Well my friend has the creative and i gotta say it = crap, the only good thing is tha battery. The firmware sucks and so does the bundled software, very annoying to use and ugly. The so called touch stick gets sticky easily and is really slow at scrolling through music.
Reply 18
I HAD a zen micro, but then sold it straight away.

the player was good, dont get me wrong. the build quility looked good.

HOWEVER, the touch sensitive buttons werent great + the battery was TERRIBLE

I do not like recharging it all the time, but i didnt expect it would be that bad. i was recharging it twice a day and the battery level fell so quickly (2 hours usage and there was one left). For that reason I sold it.

If you want something with good battery life, then do not get it (try the Sony ones)
Reply 19
To be honest, I'm not exactly ecstatic about the battery life of my Zen Micro. Since I'm earning a fair bit of money working at Waitrose, I'll probably reward myself with a Sony Network Walkman at Christmas, as I also want a bit more storage. God, I really don't want to use Sonic Stage though. Stupid file format wars. Why can't someone produce a good mp3 player with long battery life?!

Actually, an iRiver H340 is a feasible option.

Latest

Trending

Trending