The Student Room Group

assumed racism makes your racist

We watched a video in school and it was abt people saying how it was racism to tell someone they looked exotic or saying something like "you're hair is so impressive, it suits you so much, " when its talking abt someone's braids.

While I slightly understand the first one, I don't understand the second. It was something about how it isnt the norm due to you being surprised. If anyone can properly explain it I would be grateful because i still don't understand how its classed as indirect racism.

My friend changes her hair with different styles of braids and she tells me how she takes hours out of her day to just braid and style it and if she's lucky, she can go to the hair dress and get it done. I've always said how impressive her hair is because shes always put different colours or beads in it each time and the amount fo effort she has to put into it is insane. She doesnt seem uncomfortable when I say this, nor has she tried to speak with me about it so i've always thought this was okay but the powerpoint we had made me think otherwise.

I didn't have the intention to be racism but does that mean I am? Or like if you assume someone had a racist intention behide their words but they didn't - does that make you racist, seeing as you connected the statement to the stereotype.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
We watched a video in school and it was abt people saying how it was racism to tell someone they looked exotic or saying something like "you're hair is so impressive, it suits you so much, " when its talking abt someone's braids.

While I slightly understand the first one, I don't understand the second. It was something about how it isnt the norm due to you being surprised. If anyone can properly explain it I would be grateful because i still don't understand how its classed as indirect racism.

My friend changes her hair with different styles of braids and she tells me how she takes hours out of her day to just braid and style it and if she's lucky, she can go to the hair dress and get it done. I've always said how impressive her hair is because shes always put different colours or beads in it each time and the amount fo effort she has to put into it is insane. She doesnt seem uncomfortable when I say this, nor has she tried to speak with me about it so i've always thought this was okay but the powerpoint we had made me think otherwise.

I didn't have the intention to be racism but does that mean I am? Or like if you assume someone had a racist intention behide their words but they didn't - does that make you racist, seeing as you connected the statement to the stereotype.

I think you quite possibly misinterpreted the point of the video. How is it racist to comment favourably and positively comment on someone's hair?

Are you sure it wasn't about the modern concept known as cultural appropriation and how some people find mistakenly believe it to be racist and inappropriate?
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by hotpud
I think you quite possibly misinterpreted the point of the video. How is it racist to comment favourably and positively comment on someone's hair?

Are you sure it wasn't about the modern concept known as cultural appropriation and how some people find mistakenly believe it to be racist and inappropriate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RfwnibEd3A
I found the video, we watched that and then were shown more slides about what classed as micro aggression.
If someone says a sentence containing 'Micro Aggression' then the whole thing is likely worth ignoring as tosh.
Reply 4
Original post by StriderHort
If someone says a sentence containing 'Micro Aggression' then the whole thing is likely worth ignoring as tosh.

I don't like the terminology, but I;ve watched the video and the stuff they complain about has some basis, imo
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RfwnibEd3A
I found the video, we watched that and then were shown more slides about what classed as micro aggression.

Right - gotcha. So this is what you said

"it was abt people saying how it was racism to tell someone they looked exotic or saying something like "you're hair is so impressive, it suits you so much, " when its talking abt someone's braids."

Except the video wasn't about people talking about braids or saying your hair is impressive. It was about making small judgements on people based on pre-existing prejudice. So for example, "You don't act like a black person," as if black people must act in a particular way to be true to the colour of their skin or, "Can I touch your hair," as if someone with hair that might be a little different that generally encountered is nothing but an object that can be touched or commented on.

The simple measure is, would you say these sentences of micro aggression against people who weren't black or of different ethnicity / religion or a minority in general. Would you ever say, "You don't act white"? Or would you ask to touch the hair of a white person who had short hair? Would you ever say to someone, "You aren't very British!"

This video isn't saying that you can't praise someone's hair or clothes. It is saying that you can't single someone out because they are different. It is quite ok for them to be different.

Here's another example - "When did you first realise your were gay?" No one would ever ask you when you first realised you were attracted to girls or boys, so why is it acceptable to single out a gay person?
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending