The Student Room Group
Reply 1
people fart alot in winter, all that christmas food :awesome:
Reply 2
Wind is differences in air pressure - when you there is high air pressure in one are and low air pressure in adjacent another, then the air will move from the higher pressure to the lower pressure.

Air pressure is, in turn determined by temperature. This means that when there are higher differences in temperature (and thus in air pressure) you will get more wind.

That is Year 9 Geography for you.
Reply 3
M_E_X
Simple question: Why is it windier in winter?

One of my sources claims that there is four times as much power in the wind (in an area) than in summer, but offers no explanation for this. I wasn't sure which section to put this in, but physics seems appropriate.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
James

here is a detailed discussion:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_it_windier_in_the_winter_than_in_the_summer
Reply 4
DAFOne
Wind is differences in air pressure - when you there is high air pressure in one are and low air pressure in adjacent another, then the air will move from the higher pressure to the lower pressure.

Air pressure is, in turn determined by temperature. This means that when there are higher differences in temperature (and thus in air pressure) you will get more wind.

For me, Year 9 geography was simply Michael Palin.
Reply 5
amenhotep
For me, Year 9 geography was simply Michael Palin.

The LOL side of him, I'd hope... don't want to know what his books are like.
Reply 6
Tsukuyomi
people fart alot in winter, all that christmas food :awesome:

Ah damn you beat me to it! :p:
Reply 7
DAFOne

But why are there greater temperature differences in winter? Surely everywhere is colder. I don't see why there would be a significantly bigger temperature gradient in winter.

I don't appreciate your condescending remark at the end, by the way. :frown:

edit:

wikianswers

There is much greater variation in barometric pressure during the winter than during the summer. On average, high pressure systems are higher pressure and low pressure systems are lower pressure. This leads to a more rapid flow of air between the systems. This fluctuation is caused by much greater variation in temperature during the winter. While most summer days are roughly the same temperature, winter temperatures fluctuate dramatically.

Ahh got it now, thanks :smile:.
thanks rbnphlp! :smile:

So the answer is just:
Wind depends on pressure differences. Pressure differences depend on temperature. Temperature varies more in winter. Hence, more wind in winter.

Thanks all :smile:
Reply 8
M_E_X

Ahh got it now, thanks :smile:.
thanks rbnphlp! :smile:

no worries:hat2:
Reply 9
M_E_X
I don't appreciate your condescending remark at the end, by the way. :frown:

[...]

So the answer is just:
Wind depends on pressure differences. Pressure differences depend on temperature. Temperature varies more in winter. Hence, more wind in winter.

Thanks all :smile:

Didn't mean nothing by it... I was just trying to tell you where I got the info from in case it was wrong or you didn't believe me... Anyway, if I helped out even a bit, I'm happy.
There's more low pressure in winter. Low pressure = depressions , and depressions = wind + rain.................
Reply 11
M_E_X
... I don't appreciate your condescending remark at the end, by the way.

Not my remark or post that you're referring to, but it may not be condescending - rather an explanation of how they know, uncommon as that knowledge probably is.
DAFOne

I'm currently doing A2 Geography. I didn't know that.

:s-smilie:
Reply 13
You really do learn something new everyday...

Latest