The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I try and get as much use as I can out of mine. If you own a gown you have free entry to the castle. They're also lovely and warm on a winter's night. One tradition is to wear them to exams. I like to do it but not many others seem to which is a bit of a shame. Another instance of gown use I can think of is if you become a university ambassador.

I recommend The Sinner too. Sometimes on the first floor of the Student Union people post notices wanting to sell their gowns. In July I saw two gowns on sale in a charity shop for £30 each.

You by no means need a gown to get on but they are nice to have. If you are going to the gown sale during Freshers Week I really recommend turning up as early as you can and definitely in the morning. I once volunteered to sell gowns on the afternoon shift but I was surprised to find that my help wasn't needed because all the gowns had sold by then.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 21
I reckon no matter how much use you get out of it it's still pretty unique :biggrin:
Reply 22
misslily
do students always wear gowns? or was something particular on? im new to st andrews starting in september and i keep seeing people ask if we have to buy gowns!

No they don't. As people have pointed out there are multiple occasions on which people do wear them though. The photo was taken just before a chapel service and the people in the photo are members of the chapel choir, which is why they're all done up. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending