The Student Room Group

Mature student 2010 entry thread!

I'm not sure if I'm being stupid but I haven't really seen a thread for mature students who have applied for 2010 entry, so i thought that since the UCAS deadline has now passed I'd see who's actually applied for university!

I'm not sure whether there are any other matureys applying for entry this year but if there are maybe if we all put our name, how old we are, where we're form, where we've applied and the course we've applied for? Oh and information about any replies/offers/worries etc! :biggrin:

I'm Lucy, I'm 22 but turn 23 in September just before the start of the university term and I'm from Middlesex, right near Heathrow airport! I've applied to study Speech and Language Therapy at UEA, Reading, Sheffield, UCP Marjon and Manchester. I applied about 3 weeks ago and have so far had a few acknowledgements, a questionnaire from Manchester which I've sent back and I've got an interview at UEA in Feb. I've also just secured myself a new job as a Speech and Language Therapy assistant which starts soon!

I posted a thread here in the middle of last year in complete despair about what I'm doing with my life, asking for advice and loads of people were really helpful and gave me the push I needed. Now I finally feel like I'm going somewhere!

So over to you...

Scroll to see replies

Hi I'm Lex app sent of right at the beging of November had interviews at York, Lancaster and Salford. Have one coming up in Chester if I don't get an offer from York. Already have an offer fro Lancaster.
Reply 2
Hi
I am 41, and have applied for:
1. English and Philosphy at Notttingham
2. English at Nottingham
3. Philosophy at Nottingham
4. English and Philosophy at Sheffield
My UCAS went in mid Nov and so far all I have is an acknowledgement from Nottingham. The waiting is actually driving me mad.
I know the English courses are competative, but it's like being tortured at the moment!
Anyone else in the same boat?
Just want to say good luck to all of you. Going back to uni last year was the best thing I've ever done. Don't be worried about being older either, nobody minds and everyone is lovely-well they have in Worcester anyway! :smile:
Hi all, I'm Emma i'm 26 and have applied for:
Westminster
UEA
Anglia Ruskin
Lincoln
Manchester and
East London.

This is very very new to me. I started an access to Science course in September 09 which I was doing really well in and had my route all planned out, but I ended up having an emergancy c-section on 1/1/10 so its meant I can't drive and can't get back to college within the time limit they set for me, so they have thrown me off the course :frown: GUTTED

However I am not going to let that stop me and have applied for some more OU course to boost my points and adult numeracy and literacy level 2 courses to try and boost my GCSE D grades up abit.

I hate the fact that the UCAS Tariff system doesn't have anything about the Open University, when I called UCAS and asked them about points for OU study they didn't have a clue. So I have no idea if my biology courses (total of 60 points) will stand me in good stead or not? So I thought I would apply and see, worst that can happen is I don't get in, I will just do some more OU study and have the year off with the kids if thats the case.

I have applied for human biology courses. I got my UCAS in on the 22nd at 11:56pm lol, so JUST in time... phew :smile:
Reply 5
Hi,

I'm 22 in March, I left school after doing my GCSEs (but I did achieve 12 all A-C), people seem to think I left school because I was an "under-achiever", which isn't the case, I just couldn't see A-levels taking me downa path I wanted.
For the past 5 years I've worked my way up to being a management accountant, and I'm set to complete the AAT Technician (NVQ lv 4) at the end of March.

So my uni application is based on using my AAT for entry. AAT lv 3 is only worth something like 90 points, but it can be used on it's own according to Ucas. The lv 4 doesn't have any Ucas points assigned to it, because Ucas consider it equivalent to the first years study at degree level. So I'm just hoping that it is enough to get my application considered!

I am actually applying for Dance at Northampton, as much as I would've liked to go to other universities, I am commited to a dance school in Northampton where I'm studying and ding my teacher training. I have multiple vocational NQF-recognised exams in Ballet, so with these & the AAT, I'm hoping to be invited for an audition.

I sent in my application on January 12th, and still haven't heard anything :frown:
Reply 6
Hi, I am Anne and I am 31 years old. I have applied for radiography at UWE, Exeter, Cardiff, Portsmouth and Liverpool.
My UCAS applicn was submitted in Jan, so far only received aknowledgements!

Congrats to all who received offers and good luck to everybody else.
Reply 7
Hermione_moo
Hi all, I'm Emma i'm 26 and have applied for:
Westminster
UEA
Anglia Ruskin
Lincoln
Manchester and
East London.

This is very very new to me. I started an access to Science course in September 09 which I was doing really well in and had my route all planned out, but I ended up having an emergancy c-section on 1/1/10 so its meant I can't drive and can't get back to college within the time limit they set for me, so they have thrown me off the course :frown: GUTTED

However I am not going to let that stop me and have applied for some more OU course to boost my points and adult numeracy and literacy level 2 courses to try and boost my GCSE D grades up abit.

I hate the fact that the UCAS Tariff system doesn't have anything about the Open University, when I called UCAS and asked them about points for OU study they didn't have a clue. So I have no idea if my biology courses (total of 60 points) will stand me in good stead or not? So I thought I would apply and see, worst that can happen is I don't get in, I will just do some more OU study and have the year off with the kids if thats the case.

I have applied for human biology courses. I got my UCAS in on the 22nd at 11:56pm lol, so JUST in time... phew :smile:

Hiya Emma. Some of the university websites list open university credits as a means of entry, on some I've seen that a 60 point level 1 course is enough to get entry. I don't know whether a few courses totalling 60 points counts in the same way, but you can always email and ask! I emailed the universities I applied for before I put in my application to check that I met their entry requirements as they're different for mature students!

You've applied to 2 of the same universities as me! Do you have a favourite and are you planning to live away from home?
Reply 8
Hello! :hello:

I'm Jenny, I'm 22, I'm from the UK but I live in Switzerland and have done since I was sixteen. It was actually my little sister going to uni that made me realise I wanted to go too-but I had no idea what for until I had a bit of an epiphany and realised that while I'd always assumed I'd do something English related, that actually science was more my thing.

I'm studying science short courses with the OU at the moment. See my sig for where I've applied. I've applied for science foundation years (you have never seen anyone happier than me when I realised they existed!) and I want to go on to do molecular biology. It's been a bit of a shocking year to be honest, suddenly finding out I know exactly what I want to do (I want to work in molecular phylogenetics, preferably at the natural history museum but that bit is probably a bit of a pipe dream :rolleyes: Although I have found the perfect masters course for me which is run jointly with the NHM. :love: )

I applied the week before Christmas, Aber replied around the 9/1 and RHUL the same day, but didn't update on UCAS until a week later. Still to hear from Cardiff and Leeds (keeping fingers crossed for Cardiff but had a horrible dream where they rejected me last night...)

The unconditionals for Aber and RHUL have definitely come as a shock so far (and the admissions tutor at Aber sent me a handwritten note saying I was just the sort of person they wanted on the course :eek: ). Getting a rejection from QMUL was also a bit of a shock though, but first I was like :s-smilie: and now I'm just like this: :eviltongue:

:biggrin:

How's everyone feeling about going to uni? I thought I'd be nervous, but actually I'm just REALLY excited!!
Hey I'm Louise I'll be classed as a mature student when I enter university in october (I'll be 21) and the places I've applied to and what I'm studying are in my sig *wave*

I am doing a foundation diploma in art at the minute and come from Wales. Really excited about next year too! I'm going to miss my other half but I'm excited about new projects and essays and briefs! I love doing that sort of thing XD

Had one interview last week that went terribly but my Worcester interview yesterday was soo good. Too good to be true it's like one of those interview of your dreams type of interviews. I think it's too good to be true cause I'm now thinking I won't get in cause it went so well! Tomorrow another interview.

It's now a waiting game.

Louise
Reply 10
hi i am jayne
applied to:manchester, salford, lancaster, edge hill, manchester met to do sociology
received little post cardy thing from edge hill, and an interview from manchester (got the invite 1 week after sending the application off)
quite worried about the interview at manchester as it is the one i wanted most (because everyone even the woman who helps with the uni apps said manchester is really hard to get into lol i can be quiet stubborn), wondering if anyone else could give me some advice about what question sthey will ask
thanks
ooops26uk
manchester is really hard to get into lol i can be quiet stubborn)

University of Manchester is "hard" to get into.

Manchester Metropolitan is easy to get into, they'll let anyone in, comparatively.
Reply 12
Good luck to everyone. Don't worry too much about applying for unis that are hard to get into - easy to say I know. As long as you're likely to get the grades required and show a genuine enthusiasm for your subject, then you've got as good a chance as the next person. Interviewers want to see a genuine passion for what you want to study and the ability or evidence that you're already fairly well-read in your subject, if that makes sense. (The last sentence is applicable to what I'm studying - literature - but can be applied to most subjects.)
Hi, I'm 31 (32 in March! :eek: ), from Manchester and I applied for Popular Music at Chester and MMU Cheshire on 16th Dec. So far I've been invited to audition at Chester on March 3rd and I've not heard from MMU yet.
Good luck in your applications! :smile:
Reply 14
i have a bit of a query, how many hours a week is the average that is spent in lectures and so on? i care for my disabled brother full time and i also am the guardian of my 15 year old brother and my 17 year old brother

thank you
Reply 15
My turn :teehee:

I'm 22 this year and going to Royal Holloway to do the science foundation year in September :smile: I've applied for the Biomedical Science option but think I will most likely be opting for Biology come next year.

At this point I have no idea what exactly my plans will be when I graduate as it is four years away but I have a few ideas such as lab work or RBG. Either way, extremely excited about the path my life is taking. I'm also really scared about going to uni because I'm as quiet as a mouse but as my course starts early and most people will be mature, it isn't as bad as if I was starting my degree straight up. Good luck everyone x
Reply 16
Wow there's loads of us, I didn't think there would be this many!! :biggrin: It's so good to see we're all so positive and excited about it all! And loads of you I haven't 'seen' around before so hi! :hello:

At the moment I'm feeling just excited about the whole process but if I get offers and if/when I accept them, I'm sure I'll be even more excited but also nervous too, it's such a big change :smile: I feel so ready for it though!
Reply 17
ooops26uk
i have a bit of a query, how many hours a week is the average that is spent in lectures and so on? i care for my disabled brother full time and i also am the guardian of my 15 year old brother and my 17 year old brother

thank you

It depends on the subject. If you're doing humanities, you'll have fewer contact hours (around 8-10 per week), but around 40 hours a week self-study. It may be possible for you to study part-time and this may be better for you, as you need to look after your brothers. I hope that didn't sound patronising, but the uni workload can be large, especially when essays are due, or you've got exams.

LooCee, glad to see you're so excited about uni. It's a huge change, but worth it. Good luck!
Reply 18
I feel like your mothers!!! I'm 39, applied to do history and politics at Stirling, UCAS application went in on 8th Jan, got a conditional yesterday!!! And thankfully they hadn't changed the grades, so I need to pass my access course and get Bs in my highers, which is fine, I've averaging 80% at the moment in all three subjects.

Rumour has it that I have an unconditional from UHI, where I am doing my access course, nothing has been confirmed by UCAS but my student advisor gave me the heads-up this morning. I'm so excited - I will get to spend the next four years studying the most interesting subjects! I want to be a librarian, so four years at uni, postgrad at RGU, a year out to go travelling, the come back and work for the next 20 years as a librarian in a university.

I can't believe some of you have had to go for interviews - I'm the only one on my access course (out of maybe 40) to get an offer, never had an interview, but I have determination and have studied on and off with the OU for years, so I guess that's helped my application.
Many people from my college did not have to attend an interview

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending