The Student Room Group

Mature student 2010 entry thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Anyone firmed for Manchester in here? Accommodation choices?! :smile:
Reply 221
Just got a conditional from Westminster but don't know what the conditions are because UCAS hasn't been updated! Grrrrrr...
nonnibear
Just got a conditional from Westminster but don't know what the conditions are because UCAS hasn't been updated! Grrrrrr...

Congrats :o:
Any other mature students in art or design?

I just got an unconditional from Goldsmiths in design, it's my first choice so I guess that's settled then! It's weird cause I got rejected by Westminster without them even seeing my portfolio. I applied for foundation in art & design at Kingston and Chelsea, and the first rejected me, then Chelsea wanted to give me an interview rather than the usual portfolio review without an interview. They wanted it at the same time as Kingston, but then they said they'd give me a different interview date. It took them a month just to get back to me, giving me an interview date almost 2 months after the original date!! I guess if it's not possible to make the date they give you you're put at the back of the queue. Not that it matters now, as I'd rather start my degree rather than add an extra year onto my studies (as useful an experience as foundation may be).

Any others going to Goldsmiths or trying to?
Reply 224
common-hope
Congrats :o:

Thanks. I whooped quite loudly but knowing my luck, they'll want 57 credits at Distinction or something!
Reply 225
Zakadoh
Anyone firmed for Manchester in here? Accommodation choices?! :smile:

Me :smile:
Haven't a clue though. Like the sound of Weston Hall ... But not the price tag...
Reply 226
oldlady01
Me :smile:
Haven't a clue though. Like the sound of Weston Hall ... But not the price tag...

Cool :smile: what you going to study? Thats one of the ones in the city yeah? Im wanting catered and probably Victoria park or Fallowfield i think-gunna decide tomorrow after the open day :smile:
Reply 227
Zakadoh
Cool :smile: what you going to study? Thats one of the ones in the city yeah? Im wanting catered and probably Victoria park or Fallowfield i think-gunna decide tomorrow after the open day :smile:

Law - you?
Reply 228
oldlady01
Law - you?

medicine
Reply 229
Zakadoh
medicine

I'd love to hear what you think of it after the open day - I can't make it tomorrow, so it'd be nice to hear some opinions.
Reply 230
oldlady01
I'd love to hear what you think of it after the open day - I can't make it tomorrow, so it'd be nice to hear some opinions.

yeah sure ill drop a post in ere when ive had a scout about
Reply 231
Is anyone going to St Mary's, Twickenham in Sep? I have firmed my offer to study English and am interested to know if any of you will be joining me on the 'Big Adventure'? WOOO
nonnibear
Thanks. I whooped quite loudly but knowing my luck, they'll want 57 credits at Distinction or something!

My offer for History was fairly alright; 54 credits at level 3. So that's really achievable. :o: Two others at my college have been offered a place in Psychology for 60 credits at level 3. No mention of Distinctions there.
But one guy in my college applied for Politics and his offer WAS 60 credits at Merit/Distinction.- Harsh! Feel sorry for that guy. :no:

What subject did you apply for?
Reply 233
common-hope
My offer for History was fairly alright; 54 credits at level 3. So that's really achievable. :o: Two others at my college have been offered a place in Psychology for 60 credits at level 3. No mention of Distinctions there.
But one guy in my college applied for Politics and his offer WAS 60 credits at Merit/Distinction.- Harsh! Feel sorry for that guy. :no:

What subject did you apply for?

Law - they've offered 60 credits at Level 3 but the compulsary maths module comes in at level 2 making the maximum I can get 57 so my tutor has emailed off to see what can happen.

I don't really hold out any hope for Queen Mary's. That was my wildcard!

It seems unfair that when you are here to do an access course, you have to get the equivalant of A's at A Level immediately yet I hadn't been in education for over ten years. And whilst there's some resubmission, the work is still very subjective and some tutors are harder markers than others.

This grading stuff is causing my tutors some right headaches. I so wish I'd done it last year when it was a simple Level 2 or 3.

Phew, rant over!
Reply 234
cobeano
Is anyone going to St Mary's, Twickenham in Sep? I have firmed my offer to study English and am interested to know if any of you will be joining me on the 'Big Adventure'? WOOO

I'm not but I sometimes live near there....it's really small and cute!
Reply 235
still no any news... they send me letter standing i will get answer before end of this month... but as i applied after deadline im affraid they will just leave me without resond :frown:
nonnibear
Law - they've offered 60 credits at Level 3 but the compulsary maths module comes in at level 2 making the maximum I can get 57 so my tutor has emailed off to see what can happen.

I don't really hold out any hope for Queen Mary's. That was my wildcard!

It seems unfair that when you are here to do an access course, you have to get the equivalant of A's at A Level immediately yet I hadn't been in education for over ten years. And whilst there's some resubmission, the work is still very subjective and some tutors are harder markers than others.

This grading stuff is causing my tutors some right headaches. I so wish I'd done it last year when it was a simple Level 2 or 3.

Phew, rant over!

Yeah that is deffo unfair to make you an offer that is so unachievable. I am surprised that you can't get 60 credits though. In my college there are options to take additional modules.

Yeah I really am not holding out for QMUL. I had an interview at Kings College London today- it was awful!!! The tutor asked no questions about my personal statement and instead to grill me on the holocaust. I stuttered and stammered and gabbled my way around the issues. It was just terrible, so I am expecting a rejection any day now. :frown: Oh well, I am happy with Westminster.:smile: Kings was a loooonnnng shot! lol

Yeah, am having issues with grading too. The thing that I am in arguments about at the mo, is that, if I don't get a distinction, I would like feedback to know what I need to do to improve. But most teachers can't really give much feedback on what exactly I could do to make my work better. One tutor (who had a nervous breakdown) flew in to a rant at me saying I was unrealistic to expect feedback as they had so much paper work. I was like 'well, it's you job to teach us.' They expect us to know every thing straight away. Like you say, A level students have time- we don't.

-equally- rant over :yep:
common-hope
Yeah that is deffo unfair to make you an offer that is so unachievable. I am surprised that you can't get 60 credits though. In my college there are options to take additional modules.

Yeah I really am not holding out for QMUL. I had an interview at Kings College London today- it was awful!!! The tutor asked no questions about my personal statement and instead to grill me on the holocaust. I stuttered and stammered and gabbled my way around the issues. It was just terrible, so I am expecting a rejection any day now. :frown: Oh well, I am happy with Westminster.:smile: Kings was a loooonnnng shot! lol

Yeah, am having issues with grading too. The thing that I am in arguments about at the mo, is that, if I don't get a distinction, I would like feedback to know what I need to do to improve. But most teachers can't really give much feedback on what exactly I could do to make my work better. One tutor (who had a nervous breakdown) flew in to a rant at me saying I was unrealistic to expect feedback as they had so much paper work. I was like 'well, it's you job to teach us.' They expect us to know every thing straight away. Like you say, A level students have time- we don't.

-equally- rant over :yep:

I was on an access to science course this year, but I had to leave in Jan. Like both of you I was so confused with the marking. I wrote up a biology experiment and got 40% even though I did everything asked of me and included more detail (for a higher grade) yet someone who just wrote it basicly got 75%?? that happened loads and we were almost punished for going into detail. There were questions in tests we never covered, but apparently we should have know as it self directed study??? In the end we all complained to the education authority as people were getting distinctions with referrals and then told if you got a referral you couldnt achieve more then a pass.
The course was shut down for a week just after christmas while some inspectors ame into college, and it turned out that alot of marks were wrong. But they wouldnt change them just future marks would be different. As I had got 92% in exams and only 40% for homework at the like to drove my overall grades down. I left then found out my OU work was enough to get me on my course anyway, so I was lucky. I feel so sorry for the people left there, 80% have left due to this and speaking to a few people on student sites, it seems to be a major problem with alot of the access to HE Dips.
Rant over lol
But I wish you both the best and congrats with your offers
Reply 238
I don't think I've said here that I accepted my offer to study SLT at UEA! I'm very excited! :biggrin:
Reply 239
Heyo.

I'm Jessica, 25, from USA. Always wanted to go back to school, always wanted to visit the UK. Dream come true that I get to do both! So excited!

As far as impressions of 18/19 year old coursemates... I'm just impressed they can handle all this application business! I really don't think I would have had the patience/tenacity to apply for school 'back in the day'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending