The Student Room Group

AQA Biology exam - Makes the news

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Lol!! Aww I feel bad for them. Did the paper really not match the spec?
Facebook rules -- Helped me out in General exam earlier.
Reply 22
I agree, this paper was horrendous. The majority of it was either stats or geography. I found it very hard to see where the biology we'd been learning for the past few months applied at all, and some of the questions didn't even make sense. My personal favourite:

"Explain why a statistical test was necessary in analysing the results for the common shrew. Use the terms chance and probability in your answer."

Last time I checked, chance and probability meant the same thing... Hmm....
I think we should all sign a petition a make them let us sit a relevent paper over the next few months so we get the grades we deserve!
Could it be a case of the teachers teaching the old spec? I can't see how an exam board would be allowed to set a paper that didn't match the spec! Seems quite unfortunate for everybody taking it...
Reply 25
thesalamander123
What was so bad about it? Was it:
A) About unrelated areas of biology, testing your inert scientific intelligence.
B) About unrelated areas of biology, but testing your knowledge.

atheistwithfaith
What were the questions?

Read above, especially the Spearman's rank thing, isn't that out of order?

Also, I didn't do it but people who re-sat last year's BIOL2 said there was a mistake on the graph and that was complained about too.

:eek4:
omg...which exam was this??
*MJ*
I don't disagree, I was told about the OCR paper.

It's just with ours (which may be true about yours), you could have gone to Pakistan all year, chilled all day, smoked some cheap weed, put your feet up (you would probably want to do this elsewhere than Pakistan) but yeah...and you would have got the same mark as you will get come March 11th.

It was just totally random irrelevant stuff apart from question 8 which was cool.

Also, "you will not be tested on Spearman's rank for examination purposes." is published on Page 9 of the AQA A2 Textbook...there was a question on interpretation of Spearman's rank.

:lolwut:

Hey half of me is pakistani so watch it!!:p:

No but seriously I feel the exact same - I put in soooo much time for revision - and it was all wasted !! If i didnt revise I wouldve also got the same mark - our papers must have been similar in that respect...what a coincidence though..both papers being retarded..
i hate to say it but it doesnt sound that different to the old spec one last year- (ours was all about moose/mooses/meece- i still dont know the plural!) its just not a nice paper and we were all ok after the results so theres still hope yet
Reply 29
I want to see the paper!
*MJ*....I love your sig! Poor little creatures, the whole nation now hates them because of AQA.lol.
maybe the examiners finally realised setting a paper identical to the last 10 papers wasn't very productive and they wanted to differentiate between the brightest students. OH SNAP. how does that feel, an exam that makes a student work and think, rather than regurgitate.
*MJ*
There were 8 questions in total.

Only question 8 was 'real' Biology.

Now I understand how in A-level you get put under new situations and it's very different to GCSE...but this was taking the pee a bit too much.

Double page on shrews, turn over and another double page on shrews, turn over and another double page on shrews.

Something totally random like what happens when Nitrogen is added to apples, this was similar to BIOL1 where they asked something about carrots.

They really love their fruit and veg. :erm:

It was just weird, if you sat it, you would agree, do you know what Fungunababoohungawunga glue is or what it does?

This was my reaction when it turned up: :lolwut:

:rofl:

Faunagoo!

:rofl:
*MJ*
I don't disagree, I was told about the OCR paper.

It's just with ours (which may be true about yours), you could have gone to Pakistan all year, chilled all day, smoked some cheap weed, put your feet up (you would probably want to do this elsewhere than Pakistan) but yeah...and you would have got the same mark as you will get come March 11th.

It was just totally random irrelevant stuff apart from question 8 which was cool.

Also, "you will not be tested on Spearman's rank for examination purposes." is published on Page 9 of the AQA A2 Textbook...there was a question on interpretation of Spearman's rank.

:lolwut:

are you sure that they didnt mean you dont have to memorise the spearman's rank equation but still need to be able to apply it as was the case with the old spec?
Reply 34
ocr was BADDDD aswell:mad:
Reply 35
AmitYiddo
i finished A Levels n got AAA in chem BIO maths.... I wanna see this paper to see what all this fuss is about..... link plz anyone???

See sig. :shifty:
AmitYiddo
i finished A Levels n got AAA in chem BIO maths.... I wanna see this paper to see what all this fuss is about..... link plz anyone???

This exam was sat like last week? Unless someone manually copies a copy from school there is no uploaded version.
Reply 37
I sat OCR and by the sounds of it, AQA was perhaps worse!

Stupid AQA stealing our thunder...
Reply 38
Can someone start a petition so we can email it to AQA asking if we can sit a more relevent paper??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending