The Student Room Group

Resitting A level chem and bio privately

I am resitting my A level exams for OCR A Chemistry and AQA Biology as a private candidate but I am unsure whether I need to complete and pass my practical endorsements again or not? I completed and passed them in year 13 but my actual A level grades were not good so I am resitting the exams.
Reply 1
Original post by dustymustycrusty
I am resitting my A level exams for OCR A Chemistry and AQA Biology as a private candidate but I am unsure whether I need to complete and pass my practical endorsements again or not? I completed and passed them in year 13 but my actual A level grades were not good so I am resitting the exams.

Most Universities specifically mention that if your a private candidate you do not need to pass the endorsement as most of the time these students are not able to sit the practical endorsement. From what I know if you past it it will be part of your first set of grades which universities will be able to see and still than as a private candidate it doesn't matter. Hope that helps
Original post by happyluck
Most Universities specifically mention that if your a private candidate you do not need to pass the endorsement as most of the time these students are not able to sit the practical endorsement. From what I know if you past it it will be part of your first set of grades which universities will be able to see and still than as a private candidate it doesn't matter. Hope that helps

Okay, thanks for the reply :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by dustymustycrusty

You do not have to retake the practical endorsements. Make sure your exams officer knows you already passed them when you do your retake exam entries.

OCR
If I want to retake my A Level exams will I have to redo all the practical endorsement activities?

No. The practical endorsement will not contribute to the A Level grade and will be reported as Pass or Not Classified. Thus this will remain the same whatever your final A Level grade. A pass in the practical endorsement may be carried forward and used alongside the grade achieved in re-sitting the exams, even if this is with a different exam board (using the appropriate entry code).
https://www.ocr.org.uk/subjects/science/positive-about-practical/faqs/

AQA
A student who is re-taking an A-level in Biology, Chemistry or Physics may request to carry forward (i.e. transfer into a new entry) a previous grade for theendorsement, even if it was awarded by a different awarding body
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/admin/nea/AQA-CF-ENDORSEMENTS.PDF
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by gdunne42
You do not have to retake the practical endorsements. Make sure your exams officer knows you already passed them when you do your retake exam entries.

OCR
If I want to retake my A Level exams will I have to redo all the practical endorsement activities?

No. The practical endorsement will not contribute to the A Level grade and will be reported as Pass or Not Classified. Thus this will remain the same whatever your final A Level grade. A pass in the practical endorsement may be carried forward and used alongside the grade achieved in re-sitting the exams, even if this is with a different exam board (using the appropriate entry code).
https://www.ocr.org.uk/subjects/science/positive-about-practical/faqs/

AQA
A student who is re-taking an A-level in Biology, Chemistry or Physics may request to carry forward (i.e. transfer into a new entry) a previous grade for theendorsement, even if it was awarded by a different awarding body
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/admin/nea/AQA-CF-ENDORSEMENTS.PDF

Ah okay, that's relieving to hear. Thank you for the reply :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by happyluck

For ocr a Biology alevel practical 12 is a research practical what would you be doing, in terms of what is the research about and would they provide me with a topic to research and only then and there in the lab I’d be researching that specified topic? What is that practical about?

Quick Reply

Latest