The Student Room Group

Best University for Wildlife Conservation?

I have decided that I really want to go into conservation when I'm older, but I have no idea which university is best.
I have found 16 universities :Plymouth, Manchester, Chiswick, Bournemouth, Kent, Oxford, Nottingham, Newcastle, Leicester, Liverpool, sheffield, Cumbria, Wolverhampton, Brighton, Reading and Newquay.

So far I think Wolverhampton, Newquay and Kent are the best from the websites. But does anyone know, statistically or from experience, how good these universities are?

Thanks in Advance!
Reply 1
Original post by Smalley
I have decided that I really want to go into conservation when I'm older, but I have no idea which university is best.
I have found 16 universities :Plymouth, Manchester, Chiswick, Bournemouth, Kent, Oxford, Nottingham, Newcastle, Leicester, Liverpool, sheffield, Cumbria, Wolverhampton, Brighton, Reading and Newquay.

So far I think Wolverhampton, Newquay and Kent are the best from the websites. But does anyone know, statistically or from experience, how good these universities are?

Thanks in Advance!

Dear Smalley,

It's great that you want to get into conservation as a career, but deciding the right course can of course be challenge as there are such a range of courses to choose from.

To answer your question, I myself am a student from the University of Kent studying Wildlife Conservation with a Year in Professional Practice. I am currently on my Placement Year and have found the course to be incredibly useful and fulfilling so far. The course offers a wide variety of modules that help tailor the course to your interests, whether that is more towards the natural or social science fields related to the conservation sector. I have found the student and staff community, alongside the expert teaching within the School of Anthropology and Conservation, to be really engaging and supportive; you really feel that you are a part of active conservation network. The school is also a part of the Durrell Institute of Conservation and Ecology (DICE), which is unique to the University of Kent. As an institute it strives to conserve biodiversity and the ecological processes that humans as a species depend upon by breaking down of scientific barriers and improving conservation policy and management through groundbreaking research and teaching. When I was applying for universities this really set Kent apart from the others as a true investment into my future career and my desire to really make a difference in the conservation sector. The option to do a Year in Professional Practice was also a great opportunity for me to improve my ecological and employability skills, as well as make useful networking connections in my preferred conservation sector.

I hope that you found my experiences useful as you reflect on which course to choose. I ask you though, wether you are choosing a conservation course purely based on academics or social enrichment, why not choose one that offers both?

Best wishes,

George

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending