The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

What grades did you get into royal holloway with? ecology and conservation

Stressed about my grades not turning out good enough, but really want to get into RH (my dream uni).

Also is anyone doing ecology and conservation degree? what grades did you get into it with? how do you find the course
Reply 1
Dear Katrysya2004,

Please don't feel stressed about your grades, I have no doubt that you will get the grades you deserve and fingers crossed that you get into your dream university!

Just to introduce myself, I am a student from the University of Kent studying Wildlife Conservation with a Year in Professional Practice. I am currently on my Placement Year and have found the course to be incredibly useful and fulfilling so far. I always wanted to have a career in conservation and I was very excited to find a university course that had a really good reputation for teaching, research and social enrichment. I was also pleasantly surprised that the entry requirements where pretty reasonable (BBB) and only included one natural science subject as a requirement. I didn't take biology for A level (the course was too human biology focussed for my taste) so I was really happy when I looked at the entry requirements that I could apply as I was doing Geography at A level. I made the University of Kent as my first choice and so my offer dropped the requirements to BBC which made me a bit less stressed when going into my exams. I got BBB in Geography, History and Sociology at A level.

I have found the student and staff community at the University of Kent, alongside the expert teaching within the School of Anthropology and Conservation, to be really engaging and supportive; you really feel that you are a part of active conservation network. The school is also a part of the Durrell Institute of Conservation and Ecology (DICE), which is unique to the University of Kent. As an institute it strives to conserve biodiversity and the ecological processes that humans as a species depend upon by breaking down of scientific barriers and improving conservation policy and management through groundbreaking research and teaching. As for statistics, Geography and Environmental Studies at Kent was ranked 1st in the UK for research output in the Times Higher Education. I would say that when it comes to making a difference in the conservation sector, conducting and engaging in quality research is an absolute necessity. When I was applying for universities this really set Kent apart from the others as a true investment into my future career and my desire to really make a difference in the conservation sector. The option to do a Year in Professional Practice was also a great opportunity for me to improve my ecological and employability skills, as well as make useful networking connections in my preferred conservation field.

I hope that you found my experiences useful and I wish you the best of luck with your future.

Best wishes,

George
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending