The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yes. Lots of people at my University don't even seem clever. Last semester one of my course friends asked me if 'no one' was one words or two. On another occasion she asked me how to average two scores.
Reply 2
I certainly don't think so, personally. I'd take no issue with EVERYONE attending university.
Reply 3
I think the problem is more to do with how some institutions stretch the definition of "university".
Reply 4
well the way things are going some people may not get to university with funding being cut by large proportion so it means unis are going to be more selective and raise there entry points were in recession. Things are getting tough for some school leavers who will either go on the doll or have to find a job its unfair because it will mean only children of wealtheir parents will get that opportunity to study at Higher level and education should be for everyone regardless of social class after all education is very important in todays world we take it for granted in a sense.
Lindsey123
Yes. Lots of people at my University don't even seem clever. Last semester one of my course friends asked me if 'no one' was one words or two. On another occasion she asked me how to average two scores.

QFT.

On a side note, no-one is generally hyphenated, although no one is often acceptable.
Reply 6
Yeah, it really isn't worth it if you're not doing a Science related degree.

SOCIAL SCIENCES AREN'T REAL SCIENCES.

You're being conned.
Reply 7
I don't think so.

I suspect that the people who wail about degrees being devalued do so because now they will actually have to distinguish themselves to get somewhere, while 20 years ago the privileged few attending university could just have walked into a job.

Well life's tough. Just be better than the competition and you shouldn't have a problem.
Reply 8
Repressor

You're being conned.

Law is a con? Economics is a con?
yes, there are too many people at uni doing worthless degrees.......I won't list them as to do so would probbably take up about 10 pages....

I think the worthwhile degrees that are not simply a quick way to get into debt and actually add value to your career should be offered to more people, with more spaces, but less subject choices
at my school, everyone was encouraged to go to university, whether they really wanted to or not. and people who wanted to leave and get a job were generally looked down on. I think the schools know that the more people they get into university, the better they'll look - whether it's right for the person or not.
(this was a comprehensive btw)
Reply 11
Good Apollo
I think the problem is more to do with how some institutions stretch the definition of "university".

Agreed
Reply 12
Too many worthless degrees and too many people going to uni so they don't have to go to work. Yes, it is a problem.
Repressor

You're being conned.

Excluding economics and possibly psychology I'd definitely agree with the above as a Mathematical Physicist :cool:
FinishHim!
Law is a con? Economics is a con?

Economics is slightly related to science.

Law is a crazy world.
Reply 15
Marcollo
well the way things are going some people may not get to university with funding being cut by large proportion so it means unis are going to be more selective and raise there entry points were in recession. Things are getting tough for some school leavers who will either go on the doll or have to find a job its unfair because it will mean only children of wealtheir parents will get that opportunity to study at Higher level and education should be for everyone regardless of social class after all education is very important in todays world we take it for granted in a sense.

Did you actually think about any of what you just said, or did you just take the grammar out of what the newspaper told you then post it?
Reply 16
Lol i saw a course called 'circus studies' at Bath Spa University i think. Would love to have applied to it as a piss take lmao. Shows how ****** up the university system is, the degree wouldn't even be worth the paper it was written on!
YL_LDN
Lol i saw a course called 'circus studies' at Bath Spa University i think. Would love to have applied to it as a piss take lmao. Shows how ****** up the university system is, the degree wouldn't even be worth the paper it was written on!

You only get offered a place on that course if your name is Bobo. You wouldn't have stood a chance.
Christian_j
You only get offered a place on that course if your name is Bobo. You wouldn't have stood a chance.

Ha! - The course in question is here , though at least it's only a foundation degree:

http://www.bathspa.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/contemporary-circus-and-physical-performance-fd.asp
Good Apollo

This.

Universities are academic - for the academic.

There are some ridiculous courses on offer, for example 'policing studies'. (JUST JOIN THE ****ING POLICE.)
I know for a fact there are people in my sixth form applying to uni who don't even understand how to write a good essay - they don't touch books and are definitely not uni material.
The reasons they give for applying? The social life. :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending