The Student Room Group

Nervous talking to people at university

Way back in February i attended an offer holder day for a London Russell group uni. i went with my mum and dad and so did many others. it started off the profs giving an overview of the course and stuff. then they separated the students and parents. students went to a separate room and thats where we had a kind of 'lecture' type thing.

loads of people ofc we dont know each other so loads were on their own. i was walking beside this girl the whole time when walking to the Arts block where our lecture hall was and i was too nervous to say anything. when we were waiting in like the lobby thing, everyone was standing kinda alone and then that same girl was walking around and she looked at me and said "i dont know where we are going", and i replied with "me neither (and smiled), i think we are going to go somewhere because drama people are different room and stuff." I could have carried on the conversation but i didnt.

we all went and sat in our places and i sat next to this other girl. i didnt say anything as well because i was too nervous.

the thing is i struggle with nervousness to just walk up and strike up a conversation with people. i wish i got someone's number or something so i could talk to them and already have made a friend but i didnt and now i think if i go to the proper uni everyone would have made friends already.
Original post by Marysia W-Smith
Way back in February i attended an offer holder day for a London Russell group uni. i went with my mum and dad and so did many others. it started off the profs giving an overview of the course and stuff. then they separated the students and parents. students went to a separate room and thats where we had a kind of 'lecture' type thing.

loads of people ofc we dont know each other so loads were on their own. i was walking beside this girl the whole time when walking to the Arts block where our lecture hall was and i was too nervous to say anything. when we were waiting in like the lobby thing, everyone was standing kinda alone and then that same girl was walking around and she looked at me and said "i dont know where we are going", and i replied with "me neither (and smiled), i think we are going to go somewhere because drama people are different room and stuff." I could have carried on the conversation but i didnt.

we all went and sat in our places and i sat next to this other girl. i didnt say anything as well because i was too nervous.

the thing is i struggle with nervousness to just walk up and strike up a conversation with people. i wish i got someone's number or something so i could talk to them and already have made a friend but i didnt and now i think if i go to the proper uni everyone would have made friends already.

Have you looked online to see if there's any fresher groups you can join?
Many accommodation blocks create facebook groups too if you were planning to stay in student accommodation? It'd also be a great way to find out who'd you be living with ahead of time.
@Marysia W-Smith

First, even though people may have received an offer not everyone may have been able to attend. Also even though some people did attend, they might still go to another university or take a year out.

Second, it's normal for people to feel nervous around others and to be shy. If you still remember the people you met in February, then come September all you have to say is ' I remember you from the Open Day.' They will feel happy that you remember them and that should lead to them making more conversation.

Third, it takes time to get to know people and it's easier when you are in the same place and seeing them regularly. University provides a lot of time and shared experiences to build deep friendships. There's still time!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Hi,
I completely understand how you are feeling, I was feeling the exact same way when I went to open days.
You will meet so many people during freshers week who have not found friends yet or even people who are beginning to form a friendship group but are looking for others to join. The opportunities to make friends are endless and many people do not end up best friends with people they met on offer holder days.
Many universities have a Facebook group for freshers where you can meet people on your course and potentially your flatmates (this is how I met mine!) so it is definitely worth joining if there is one available.
When you get to uni so many people will be going up to people and just randomly talking as everyone is looking to make friends, whereas at an offer holder day the focus is on the course and the uni itself rather than meeting people so don't panic, once you arrive at university I am sure people will be much mire chatty as everyone will be in the same boat.
Hope this helps, Faye :smile:
Original post by Marysia W-Smith

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending