The Student Room Group

Graduate entry into medicine. Please help.

1)I would like a list of the universities that do graduate entry into medicine.
I have searched on Google, however the list is incomplete.

I struggled on UCAS to find the list as well.

Please could someone help me? :smile:

2)I am currently doing a undergraduate Biochemistry degree in my first year, I didn't meet the grade requirements for Medicine in my A-levels and neither my GCSE's.

I am willing to do a placement year in a hospital Biochemistry in my 2nd year. Would you think this is a mistake, when wanting to apply for a medicine course? Should I do the placement year or not?
Reply 1
Graduate entry courses have the ucas code A101. That should help your ucas search.

When I applied med schools online was a decent resource, not 100% up to date but still pretty helpful.
http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=77

As for your second question, having a lot of relevant work experience can only help in interviews. For example they ask things like "talk about a time you demonstrated empathy towards a patient". If you have no patient contact experience its going to pretty hard to answer that...

A hospitals biochem department would not offer much in the way of patient contact so might be better spending the time on more relevant work experiences.
Reply 2
Magic_007
1)I would like a list of the universities that do graduate entry into medicine.
I have searched on Google, however the list is incomplete.

I struggled on UCAS to find the list as well.

Please could someone help me? :smile:

2)I am currently doing a undergraduate Biochemistry degree in my first year, I didn't meet the grade requirements for Medicine in my A-levels and neither my GCSE's.

I am willing to do a placement year in a hospital Biochemistry in my 2nd year. Would you think this is a mistake, when wanting to apply for a medicine course? Should I do the placement year or not?

Hmmm...I don't know if it is or it isn't, do you have a lot of patient contact? As for a pharmacy student a pre-registration placement helps a lot when saying whether you have hospital experience.

What would you gain from doing a placement in hospital? If you can think of things that will help your application..then go for it :smile:
Reply 4
morecambebay

you're so mean, LOL. Valid point!
Unless you get extra credit for the year out, it really won't help you. It won't hinder you either, it will just be another year until you can apply to med. All you need is a 2:i, 2:ii at a push. You should do whatever it is that makes it easier for you to get that.
Reply 6
Spare a thought to your options if you can't get into medicine straight after your degree or at all. Would that placement give you experience for a fall back (or temporary) career? Trust me that's an important thing to think about.
Reply 7
HI, I want to apply for GEM. I sat my UKCAT and have an average of 625. This stupid thing was held in the same place as driving theory test, guy behind me had lots of questions about the driving test and I completely screwed up my QR!!:frown:... Does anyone know If I can re-sit UKCAT again this same year please? I feel 625 is not good enough. I have AAB for my Alevels, Biology,chemstry and Physics. 2.1 for Biomedical science degree and I will be finishing my PhD in Immunology in the next month or two. But apparently none of this really counts as a good few universities have UKCAT cutoff scores....
Please help

Latest

Trending

Trending