The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristolian

Thought this might be usefull. :wink:

Bristolian Dictionary

I've certainly heard my grandparents use alot of these expressions, i don't live anywhere near bristol anymore but i used to live near there till i was six.

I still say "tuthbrush" 12 years later :eek:

Scroll to see replies

My dad says "tuthbrush" and he's from Bromsgrove!
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
I now lapse into fluent rural berkshire on occasion.

Put that down to associating with farm workers for the last year....

Sounds awesome with my public school accent i can tell you :p:
Reply 3
I say "tuthbrush" and a few other common Bristolianisms (not quite on the same level as Vicky Pollard - but i know a few people who are!). Thankfully i have lost most of my Bristol twag by living in London and not being surrounded by "alright my lover 'ows you?" all the time!

Accents don't really bother me, but it was a little worrying when the Bristolian accent got voted the most unsexy accent in Great Britain a few years back! :eek:
Reply 4
lol, my accent is kinda cross between, maltease, welsh and cornish so apparantly i sound like i'm from barbados, very odd! bristol accent is ok, not as bad as a welsh one!
Reply 5
Ah, accents. Don't you just love um? :biggrin:

Well, to my ears, i have quite a neutral accent. A very very very "watered down" scouse accent.

But strangely, to anyone outside "Meseryside", i apparently have a strong accent. My mum's side of the family who are all from Oldham always take the p*ss.

I just hope that i don't take on a West Country accent while i'm down in Bristol. As much as i like to hear other people speak like that, i'd hate to think what i'd sound like when West Country mingles with mild scouse. :redface:
Shelbycakes
lol, my accent is kinda cross between, maltease, welsh and cornish so apparantly i sound like i'm from barbados, very odd! bristol accent is ok, not as bad as a welsh one!

LOL i'm planning to lose my (very slight) welsh accent as soon as i get to bristol :smile:
Reply 7
hehe good luck too you! mines going already, but if i'm around a load of welsh people i tend to slip back into it.
Reply 8
Shelbycakes
hehe good luck too you! mines going already, but if i'm around a load of welsh people i tend to slip back into it.

Thats exactly what happens to mine! For months on end i will have just a slight accent and then as soon as i meet up with old school friends who all have really strong accents i pick it up again. :rolleyes:

I start coming out with "alright my lover?" and "Ark at 'ee!" :eek:
Reply 9
i quite like the welsh accent.

is better than swindon or berkshire :p:
Reply 10
Gexko

He He, the Swindon accent always reminds me of the blond man from The office! Can't remember his name? :confused:
Reply 11
cycle path lolol i remember reading all those when i first got to bristol! its like the thing to brush up on before you arrive so you can understand the porters :P
lauraloo
He He, the Swindon accent always reminds me of the blond man from The office! Can't remember his name? :confused:

twas gareth methinks :smile:
the bristol accent kinda scares me lol...reminds me of creepy farmers xx
Gexko

its ok, as long as its not like really really stong like the swanseeeeeeah accent. its really awful (no offence to anyone from swansea.
i say tuthbrush n im from birmingham. lol. so im gona come bak with some wierd accent like i did wen i did the summerschool for only a week last yr!
The Welsh accent is awesome. I love it. The norfolk accent can be quite funny as well
Reply 16
Checking for Spies

the bristol accent kinda scares me lol...reminds me of creepy farmers xx

hehe i can slip into a proper bristolian accent when i go home there and im around some of my old friends... creepy farmers sounds about right :biggrin:
Reply 17
i find the welsh accent ok when girls have it, but worse for men. (i'm talking about the really strong one in south wales, around swansea i found it). I just find it a bit hard on the ears, because its so exteme.

I've certainly still got a few west country things even though i moved from there ages ago, for example i will allways "smooth" a cat. Apparantly other people say "stroke" but i've never noticed...

My mum always talk about the snow pitching aswell, which is apparently a bristol saying.

I doubt many people at bristol sound like Vicky Pollard, but you never know when knowing the local lingo may come in handy. :smile:
Reply 18
Zakatu

I doubt many people at bristol sound like Vicky Pollard

Oh there are a fair few :biggrin: :wink:
Reply 19
bouncy
Oh there are a fair few :biggrin: :wink:

haha, when I went for my open day there was a group of 3 vicky's chatting about......well, im not to sure coz i only understood every forth word :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending