The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Does anyone feel contextual offers at bristol are unfair?

Hi all,

essentiallly Bristol is far too generous with contextual offers, nearly every state school is eligible for them and its very easy to get one from bristol. I agree with contextual offers but only when they are handed out to people who actually need them. Bristol is either being too generous or is misrepresenting its academic standards and contextual offers are now a mere recruitment tactic, I believe 40% of the students there got in on one. I doubt the majority of those people actually deserve one. This generous approach undermines the competiveness and reputation of the uni, which explains why it has a far worse rep than it did 10/20 years ago. I am a current Bristol student and I think my degree is worthless when theres many people on my course with grades far far worse than mine. I chose bristol on perceived academic standards and reputation particularly in my subject (law). I massively regret coming here as a result of this policy and wish i had chosen any of my other choices that value alevel grades.

Do not get me wrong again I am happy with contextual offers when theyre given to those who need them. But when theyre handed out as often as they are at bristol it makes you think whats the point in achieving the standard offer. I would actually recommend people not to attend bristol now if you only get the standard offer. Also why does bristol feel the need to be as generous as they are? there are unis out there like durham that are far far worse in social mobility but they are not half as generous, bristol is not even an elite university to feel the need to be as generous as they are with grades, it doesnt make any sense to me and i hate the fact i chose to come here. Also before someone says oh but they perform just as well as those without. I do not care grades are not just about handling the course, but also to do with academic prestige, most people with AAA at Bristol or UCL etc could probably do fine at oxford.
Reply 1
Touch grass. Someone’s salty that they didn’t get a contextual offer.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Also what do u think the effect of this post will be? That Bristol will suddenly change their contextual policy because Anonymous #1 complained? Get a life my dude.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi all,
essentiallly Bristol is far too generous with contextual offers, nearly every state school is eligible for them and its very easy to get one from bristol. I agree with contextual offers but only when they are handed out to people who actually need them. Bristol is either being too generous or is misrepresenting its academic standards and contextual offers are now a mere recruitment tactic, I believe 40% of the students there got in on one. I doubt the majority of those people actually deserve one. This generous approach undermines the competiveness and reputation of the uni, which explains why it has a far worse rep than it did 10/20 years ago. I am a current Bristol student and I think my degree is worthless when theres many people on my course with grades far far worse than mine. I chose bristol on perceived academic standards and reputation particularly in my subject (law). I massively regret coming here as a result of this policy and wish i had chosen any of my other choices that value alevel grades.
Do not get me wrong again I am happy with contextual offers when theyre given to those who need them. But when theyre handed out as often as they are at bristol it makes you think whats the point in achieving the standard offer. I would actually recommend people not to attend bristol now if you only get the standard offer. Also why does bristol feel the need to be as generous as they are? there are unis out there like durham that are far far worse in social mobility but they are not half as generous, bristol is not even an elite university to feel the need to be as generous as they are with grades, it doesnt make any sense to me and i hate the fact i chose to come here. Also before someone says oh but they perform just as well as those without. I do not care grades are not just about handling the course, but also to do with academic prestige, most people with AAA at Bristol or UCL etc could probably do fine at oxford.
Wow as someone who is a contextual student you have completely put me off applying for Bristol !!! I am a contextual student due to my postcode but have been predicted 3 x A*
1 x A
And have already achieved an A* in my EPQ.
My school makes us all so 4 A levels and the EPQ so I feel I deserve my space at uni as much as non contextual students !!
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 4
No.
ive seen this loser on r/UniUK. totally obsessed with the fact that people apparently look down on his uni and now he thinks it's because of students from more deprived areas. what a clown
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi all,
I failed some of my A Levels and did fine at Oxford.
This has been brought up before and no, I don’t.
Original post by gjd800
I failed some of my A Levels and did fine at Oxford.
did u retake. how is this possible? sorry not trying to be rude just curious
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous #3
did u retake. how is this possible? sorry not trying to be rude just curious
Postgrad

But the point remains. I was a contextual wp kid and now I work with many and do school outreach, often in collaboration with Oxford (particularly Pembroke, of which I am an Old Member).

These results are a snapshot, and contextual offers can work to redress certain imbalances. It does not devalue anything else and these students are not stupid.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Anonymous
ive seen this loser on r/UniUK. totally obsessed with the fact that people apparently look down on his uni and now he thinks it's because of students from more deprived areas. what a clown

Why people look down at Bristol uni?
why do you care about the other students on your course who got 2 grades lower than the standard offer? are they going to stop you from passing your degree, of course not😭
Please do not look down on any Uni for any reason. And you certainly should not be looking down on people who were given contextual offers. Several of my colleagues made it on to my course through their contextual offers and all had to battle through in their own way the same as anyone else. That's not a healthy attitude to harbour really going forward.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending