The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol uni engineering

I applied to Cambridge and Imperial for general/ aerospace engineering. You could call it overconfidence but I thought I would get at least 1 offer from either uni but I got rejected from both, by my own fault (I messed up the admission test/ interview). Now my next choice is Bristol but looking at some posts online is scaring me that I might not enjoy my time there? Specifically in terms of networking opportunities and academic stimulation as well as the reputation Bristol seems to have as a place where private school Oxbridge rejects go. Any response to my concerns especially from current Bristol Engineering students and will be helpful :smile: thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous #1
I applied to Cambridge and Imperial for general/ aerospace engineering. You could call it overconfidence but I thought I would get at least 1 offer from either uni but I got rejected from both, by my own fault (I messed up the admission test/ interview). Now my next choice is Bristol but looking at some posts online is scaring me that I might not enjoy my time there? Specifically in terms of networking opportunities and academic stimulation as well as the reputation Bristol seems to have as a place where private school Oxbridge rejects go. Any response to my concerns especially from current Bristol Engineering students and will be helpful :smile: thanks
Did you mess up the imperial ic aero/eee mat?
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
yep I'm guessing you too?

Hey! I also applied for aero engineering at Imperial and got rejected after the interview stage, now I'm deciding between bristol and soton for my firm (but I'm leaning towards Bristol mainly because of the aero companies close by and I feel like it has a slightly better reputation than southampton).
Reply 4
Original post by short man
Hey! I also applied for aero engineering at Imperial and got rejected after the interview stage, now I'm deciding between bristol and soton for my firm (but I'm leaning towards Bristol mainly because of the aero companies close by and I feel like it has a slightly better reputation than southampton).

Do you think you’ll enjoy yourself at Bristol?
Original post by SP09
Do you think you’ll enjoy yourself at Bristol?

Honestly, no idea, but I hope so! I'm going to their offer holder day on the 24th April so I'll see how I like the vibe then :smile:
Reply 6
Honestly, no idea, but I hope so! I'm going to their offer holder day on the 24th April so I'll see how I like the vibe then :smile:

Oh me too! Might see you there :smile:
Original post by SP09
Oh me too! Might see you there :smile:

Oh nice! Did you book the aerospace academic session? Mines booked for 1pm to 3:45

Hey! Similar position last year. I am also gonna be reading aerospace eng at uni. Messed up the Cam interview and I can’t rlly rmbr but i think I applied to Bristol, bath, soton and Birm. Didn’t apply to imp cuz I live in London and I want to leave. Anyway, initially I had Bristol down as my firm and soton as my insurance BUT upon further discovery, apparently for Bristol you’d have to walk quite a lot to get to different classes and by walking a lot I meant like through the city each time. I like walking but not that much. Changed my offer to Soton but ALSO soton has the biggest on campus wind tunnel and other really cool facilities you would be able to use during your time. You should check it out.

Same but I ended up choosing soton cuz the facilities are better plus the walking through the city to get to classes in Bristol rlly threw me off.
Original post by Anonymous #3
Same but I ended up choosing soton cuz the facilities are better plus the walking through the city to get to classes in Bristol rlly threw me off.

Hahah I see! I’ve heard about the facilities at Southampton being really good
I haven’t been to either uni yet but I’m visiting both in April so I guess I’ll make my decision after that :smile:
Hahah I see! I’ve heard about the facilities at Southampton being really good
I haven’t been to either uni yet but I’m visiting both in April so I guess I’ll make my decision after that :smile:

Tried liking your reply but student room won’t let me. That’s a problem for another day. Anyway, do let me know once you’ve viewed both of the unis please!! I haven’t seen them irl so I’m mostly going into this partially blind (partially cuz 360° tours on their website lol) and also id rlly like to know what you think as well from one future aerospace engineer to the other 😉
Reply 12
Hey! Similar position last year. I am also gonna be reading aerospace eng at uni. Messed up the Cam interview and I can’t rlly rmbr but i think I applied to Bristol, bath, soton and Birm. Didn’t apply to imp cuz I live in London and I want to leave. Anyway, initially I had Bristol down as my firm and soton as my insurance BUT upon further discovery, apparently for Bristol you’d have to walk quite a lot to get to different classes and by walking a lot I meant like through the city each time. I like walking but not that much. Changed my offer to Soton but ALSO soton has the biggest on campus wind tunnel and other really cool facilities you would be able to use during your time. You should check it out.

Thanks for this insight, I’m considering a gap year anyway but I had no idea about the Bristol walking as I have never visited. I’ll keep that in mind and maybe apply Southampton next year 🙂
Reply 13
Oh nice! Did you book the aerospace academic session? Mines booked for 1pm to 3:45

No idea I can’t seem to find my booking email 😬
Anyway, initially I had Bristol down as my firm and soton as my insurance BUT upon further discovery, apparently for Bristol you’d have to walk quite a lot to get to different classes and by walking a lot I meant like through the city each time. I like walking but not that much.

You'll obviously need to get from where you live to Bristol's main campus, but the main engineering buildings (Queen's Building and Merchant Venturers' Building) at Bristol are literally across the road from each other.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 15
Original post by SP09
Thanks for this insight, I’m considering a gap year anyway but I had no idea about the Bristol walking as I have never visited. I’ll keep that in mind and maybe apply Southampton next year 🙂

Hey, I'm on a gap year, and I'm going the the Bristol offer holder day on the 24th aswell😁
Tried liking your reply but student room won’t let me. That’s a problem for another day. Anyway, do let me know once you’ve viewed both of the unis please!! I haven’t seen them irl so I’m mostly going into this partially blind (partially cuz 360° tours on their website lol) and also id rlly like to know what you think as well from one future aerospace engineer to the other 😉

Haha no worries! I dont think TSR lets you give reps to the same person twice consecutively.
I'm visiting southampton on the 13th and bristol on the 24th, I'll reply on this thread with my thoughts after visiting each one! I'm sure other fellow aero engineers will do the same :smile:
Original post by SP09
No idea I can’t seem to find my booking email 😬

Hahah no worries!
Original post by Ajdj12
Hey, I'm on a gap year, and I'm going the the Bristol offer holder day on the 24th aswell😁

I think quite a few aero engineers are coming to the 24th offer holder day! Maybe we'll see each other :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Ajdj12

Ooh how was ur gap year? Would you mind telling me why u took it or what u did?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending