The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

is it acceptable to wear a bikini in your local swimming pool?

i'm doing the race for life this year, and as part of my preparation to get fit for it, i'm going to start swimming again after years of not swimming.
wondering how acceptable it was to wear a bikini to the pool, i googled it, couldn't find many results, but did find this:
http://www.shinystyle.tv/2009/11/why_bikinis_in_public_swimming.html

whoever wrote this just sounds like a bitter fatty, in my opinion. i don't think there's anything wrong with wearing a bikini, as i'm going to swim lengths, not "pose and preen". but now i'm not so sure?

and surely, if bikinis are considered too revealing for the pool, why are old men allowed to wear the most repugnant, unflattering speedos that leave nothing to the imagination?

i haven't owned a swimming costume in years, and i have no intention of buying one when i have perfectly good (not ridiculously skimpy) swimwear already.
what d'you think?

Scroll to see replies

Are bikinis for swimming.....?
Reply 2
Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.
Are bikinis for swimming.....?

yes? what else would they be for? parachuting?
saladdodger

omg wow that's hilarious. I just think it's better to swim in a swimming costume, its not that difficult to find or afford one.
Reply 4
What a load of ****...
Reply 5
I think your concern need not be a concern. It is silly, of course you are allowed to wear bikinis to go swimming! Some bitter fatties and some old people may not approve but it is not against the law!! I love wearing bikinis to the pool because I hate swimming costumes! lol now get your bikini on and get swimming! :biggrin:
I always wonder this too... I'm not sure. If you're not self-conscious, go for it! There's no point wasting money on a swimming costume.
Reply 7
Last time I visited a swimming poll, 99% of the girls there had a bikini on!

The one person that didn't could have been mistaken for a whale / sea bear anyway.
I personally wouldn't care what you wore so long as you didn't get in my way, or cause others to get in my way.

if you wanna swim naked I really couldn't give a toss!! :P
Reply 9
I'm a lifeguard at my local leisure centre and although most females trying to tone up wear a full swimming costume, (these are mostly 30+ year old women) there is no doubt that it is perfectly acceptable to wear a bikini.
If you're fit go for it, if you look like this then please do everyone a favour and don't:

The lady i the article comes across as desperate and jealous. She doesn't present a good argument.
Reply 12
Of course you can wear them. I prefer tankini's though :smile:
Reply 13
saladdodger

Lol!

Yes, on the odd occasion I go swimming locally, I wear a bikini. Although be careful if you're going to pull yourself out of the pool without using the steps.. I definitely put my backside on display doing that once.
Reply 14
DannyBoy123
If you're fit go for it, if you look like this then please do everyone a favour and don't:

Phwoar :coma:.
If you're serious about swimming, then a swimming costume improves your hydrodynamic aesthetics. Bikinis are great for the beach, but surely they're going to be a bit impractical for proper swimming?

Remember - you're at the pool to swim your little heart out and get fit for race for life.
Reply 16
From a male perspective, hell yeah!
But seriously, why wouldn't they be? If you ever turn into a serious swimmer then maybe it's time to buy a serious costume. But personally I think your attitude is bang on. Why waste the money?
I wear a tankini, I'm going to have to go back to my bikini though because my tankini bottoms are too big :frown: Trying to do front crawl whilst losing your bottoms in the deep end is so not a good look.
i havent worn a one-piece swimming costume since i was about 5, maybe younger. i really dont see the problem. its much harder to find a swimming costume to fit and would be a waste of money really.
Go for it, as long as it's not like dental floss then it's completely appropriate for a family pool. :biggrin:

Personally I prefer 50s style bandeau swimwear, like this:

:love:

Latest

Trending

Trending