The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

is it acceptable to wear a bikini in your local swimming pool?

Scroll to see replies

I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing one at all. I haven't worn a one-piece for years because I'm quite tall and slim so it's hard to find one that fits properly. The small sizes don't stretch enough length-ways and the bigger sizes are baggy D: If you're just going swimming to get fit then I'd say save your money and wear what you already have :smile:
Reply 41
I wear a bikini when I go swimming (not that it's that often anymore though). I don't see a problem with it, unless you jump in and the top decides to move to the side :o:
No one really cares at my local pool, as long as you're covered up to some extent, obviously
Reply 43
NO!

How dare you wear a piece of clothing whilst doing something it was designed for!
Reply 44
taperjeangirl!
I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing one at all. I haven't worn a one-piece for years because I'm quite tall and slim so it's hard to find one that fits properly. The small sizes don't stretch enough length-ways and the bigger sizes are baggy D: If you're just going swimming to get fit then I'd say save your money and wear what you already have :smile:

yeah, i'm the same. clothes aren't often made for people my shape and size. sometimes it feels like just because you're slim you should be really short aswell.
i don't trust short people anyway ¬__¬
anyway, thanks to everyone for confirming what i already thought. sorry if this was a bit of a pointless thread.

also, not relevant but: i stuck a 50p to the pavement outside my house the other day, and in the last five minutes, i've just seen two confused old people try and pick it up :biggrin:
Reply 45
Bikinis are absolutely fine, though not so good if you're doing anything more than a light little swim.. I was doing a few laps the other day and my (not even very flimsy) bikini was feeling a little.. insecure. Also no good for diving, nuh uh. A one piece may be more practical really, it doesn't have to be some smart semi-professional jobby though, there's plenty of pretty ones about. They're just more inclined to stay in place where necessary than a bikini.
:lolwut: I've never heard of bikinis not being acceptable. The only additional things they reveal more than a one piece, is your tummy and back, but apart from that they're fine.
Go for the bikini, it's grand!
yeah don't see why not as long as your comfortable wearing a bikini, however wouldn't a swimsuit be better as it'll be better for doing swimming lengths than a bikini? there is the possibility that either the bikini top will come loose/ come off or the bottoms will drop down if it isn't the right fit but you wouldn't have that problem if you were wearing a swimsui
I'm fat and want to know what I can wear to cover my body up. Even my arms? I only want to go on the shallow part with my 20 month old daughter. So only be getting my legs wet. She has never been swimming before. Any suggestions?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 50
Of course it's acceptable.
What the ****, no bikinis are fine for swimming, I bought one specifically for swimming in the pool because It's hard to find larger cup size swimming costumes that fit everywhere else properly too, plus I don't like the knicker look of one pieces and prefer shorts but don't want to unnecessarily one piece plus shorts.

The woman who write that article is idiotic at best, what women aren't allowed to wear bikinis in the pool because men may look an become distracted? Piss off.
Original post by Hannahclaireb
I'm fat and want to know what I can wear to cover my body up. Even my arms? I only want to go on the shallow part with my 20 month old daughter. So only be getting my legs wet. She has never been swimming before. Any suggestions?

Probably a wet suit, but a one piece swim suit and swim shorts would probably be better as you'd only be drawing attention to yourself if you were something like a wet suit in a public swimming pool. I know you'll feel uncomfortable at first but you'll get used to it
Original post by saladdodger
x

Ahaha sorry but what you said about revealing speedos was amazing.

I honestly think there is nothing wrong with wearing a bikini to swim in. Why not? You'll be in the pool most of the time and anyone with an ounce of savvy knows you're there to swim :s. Seriously if you wanted to flaunt your body half naked there are far more obvious and fun ways! Haha!

However I must admit that I have thought to myself before that male lifeguards must have a nice time of it from their highchairs... Lol.

Good luck in the race! XD
Probably better to get a proper swimming costume if you are going to be swimming properly....
Nothing quite like reviving a four and a half year old thread rather than just creating a new one.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by thunder_chunky
Nothing quite like reviving a four and a half year okd thread rather than just creating a new one.

That's what I was just thinking

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah you can but if you are swimming for fitness why not get a one piece? They are cheap now and you don't have to worry if you are powering through the water that the bottoms are going to have fallen down a bit or the top straps are coming loose (believe me this is an issue when swimming fast!) I also feel uncomfortable in a bikini just because i tend to go to the really early sessions and am the youngest one there, had a few slightly creepy comments before so i just feel more comfortable in a swimsuit. In conclusion wear whatever you like.
Reply 58
Original post by cuckoo99
Probably better to get a proper swimming costume if you are going to be swimming properly....

This.
Original post by thunder_chunky
Nothing quite like reviving a four and a half year old thread rather than just creating a new one.

Almost as strange as why this should even be a question other than a matter of personal choice for a woman, just as the type of swimwear is for a man.

Having been to German spas, there is a third way which is more comfortable, though not an option in the UK, and that is swimming with no costume.

Latest

Trending

Trending