The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Waiting2smile...

Hi! Ive read on here that you were a clearing applicant in your first year and i was wondering if you could give me some advice?

Basically i applied for psychology at RHUL and accepted it as my first choice but did not get the required grades but i have decided to switch to geography through clearing. However this means that i will be but through the clearing process for accommodation.

This scares me! RHUL already have my accomm form but i am worried about bring put on the Brunel campus! Should i be worried? What is it like there, do you feel separated from the main campus? What about if i wanted to go out at the union at night? is there a bus service? Is the accomodation catered? What are the rooms like?

Sorry about all the questions but i am really nervous!

Scroll to see replies

Hey Claire,

Believe me; I was just as terrified as you. But can I assure you that you have absolutely no reason to worry at all! I wish there had been someone to reassure me in the first place because when I arrived I was literally tied in knots with anxiety only to find all that worry was completely unnecessary.

I doubt you’ll be put on the Brunel campus because RHUL was your first choice and you simply switched courses. But should you find you’ve been put on the Brunel Runneymede campus - don’t panic! RHUL is (if all goes to plan) hoping to purchase some of the Brunel Runneymede campus, as Brunel is selling it off as it aims to centralise all its students on their Uxbridge campus, so in no way are you forgotten by the university. Add to that Brunel housed 250+ excess RHUL students last year for the first time and there’s no doubt this number will increase this year. You will also have RHUL representatives at the campus and many 2nd year RHUL students floating about too. There is indeed a free bus service that runs regularly every 15-20 minutes and takes less than five minutes to take you to and from the RHUL campus. You’re given a bus timetable when you arrive.
The improved bus service (due to incessant campaigning) picks up Kingswood (RHUL halls of residence) students too as they’re your neighbours being a minute away from where you live. There is no evening service; the last bus was at half eight I think. Most people shared a cab to get to the SU in the evening (something like 80p if four of you share a cab)! You could get a cab back if you wanted to but most students Kingswood/Brunel preferred getting the RHUL night bus - £1.00 each to take them directly back to their halls of residence. Walking (though obviously not at night) takes about 15-20 minutes. So in terms of travelling to and from the RHUL everything is relatively easy.

You won’t feel separated from the main campus you’ll end up spending virtually all your time there! As for the Brunel campus - it is really pretty. If you explore around you’ll be amazed at how beautiful it is - you have lots of green areas, and gardens and it looks gorgeous during spring/ summer time. You might however, be a little taken back by the flourishing rabbit population. There is a real community spirit that everyone absolutely loved. I made friends with virtually everyone and am now sharing a house with my five amazing best friends who co-incidently also lived on the campus. The Brunel students (mainly 3rd/4th year male design students) are very welcoming. They invited us to several barbecues and parties at the end of the year. The rooms in most halls are standard and all are self catered. However, there is also a refectory, and several vending machines on site. There is also a Brunel SU on site but it’s really small and much more like a bar, however everyone agrees it has a lot of potential.

I think you’re tremendously brave in the way you’ve accepted you’ll have to change courses to stay at RHUL. That must be really difficult having to change to a completely different course from the course you set your heart on doing. I remember I was absolutely devastated I didn’t get into my first choice university, and couldn’t imagine how things could get any better but later found everything happens for a reason. The fact is I realise I’m really happy at RHUL, mostly because everything was put into a sharper perspective for me when I entered clearing. And if you realise it’s not the end of the world then you’ll be more than okay. :smile:
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
Thank you for helping! Its made me feel much better and a bit less scared about what lies ahead! I was originally given a place in Wedderburn which i was thrilled about but because i wasnt accepted that place was lost! So it is a bit daunting that i could be put anywhere now lol! At first i was worried about changing courses but as you say everything happens for a reason and i believe i wasnt meant to do psychology! Although i think its right for me to go to royal holloway because i am in love with the place and i think i will be happy on my new course anyway! Thank you again for your advice i'm going to have to wait and see what happens to me hehe!

One more question (sorry).. Do the Brunel halls have internet access?
Clare1986

One more question (sorry).. Do the Brunel halls have internet access?

Glad to help. Yes you have internet connection, you just buy a cable from the RHUL computer centre, it costs £1.50 and you connect it to your lap-top and the little port in your room and you instantly have internet connection. So easy.
Reply 4
Yeah! Geography! Which degree are you doing?
Reply 5
Hayley Kim
Yeah! Geography! Which degree are you doing?

Just straight Bsc Geography! I am actually really looking forward to it! Which one are you doing?
Reply 6
I'm doing Bsc Physical Geography with Science Communication
Reply 7
Looks like if i want accommodation then i'm definetly going to have to apply for the Brunel accommodation as there is apparently NOTHING left on campus!

So.. i have more questions for you! Sorry!
1. How many people do you share a kitchen with and are the kicthens big enough/nice enough? lol
2. Is everyone from royal holloway grouped together in the halls?
3. What are the bathrooms like? Are there enough because i'd hate to be waiting for hours to use them!
4. Are they mixed gender floors or single sex?
5. Are you allowed a car?
6. What was your hall called?
7. Anything else you want to warn me about?

Im really sorry about all the questions I am just one of those people who like to know exactly what they are letting themselves in for, im not too keen on the unknown! lol!
Clare1986
Looks like if i want accommodation then i'm definetly going to have to apply for the Brunel accommodation as there is apparently NOTHING left on campus!

So.. i have more questions for you! Sorry!
1. How many people do you share a kitchen with and are the kicthens big enough/nice enough? lol
2. Is everyone from royal holloway grouped together in the halls?
3. What are the bathrooms like? Are there enough because i'd hate to be waiting for hours to use them!
4. Are they mixed gender floors or single sex?
5. Are you allowed a car?
6. What was your hall called?
7. Anything else you want to warn me about?

Im really sorry about all the questions I am just one of those people who like to know exactly what they are letting themselves in for, im not too keen on the unknown! lol!

1: In Rowan Hall/& Reid (and most probably all the other halls) up to nine students shared a kitchen, and they're big + reasonable enough. We decorated ours with random posters and postcards.
2. Yes.
3. The bathroom is compromised of about four showers + one bath, three wc cubicles and one big mirror overlooking three sinks. The bathroom is a fairly ordinary white and stone blue colour.
4. Single sex floors.
5. Yes. There's a massive car park.
6. Rowan Hall.
7. The showers are quite small and the heating took ages to come on during winter, so make sure you take lots of warm blankets. The cleaners who come in everyday are rather annoying - if you're in your room when they're here they'll make you hoover the room yourself. They also bang their buckets about loudly and shrilly scream at each other waking you up from your deep sleep at 10.am in the morning. The walls are a sickly yellow colour but they can always be disguised successfully with cool posters. :smile:
Reply 9
waiting2smile
They also bang their buckets about loudly and shrilly scream at each other waking you up from your deep sleep at 10.am in the morning.

You can be in bed at 10:00am in the morning? Absolute bargain. My former 'institution' (don't worry, not prison) meant 7:30am wake-ups.

And shrill screams are all part of the charm of cleaners :wink:.
Trust me you haven't seen and heard anything like the cleaners on the Brunel campus! My god. It was quite an experience.
Reply 11
I went to look round one of the halls today (bradley?) on the clearing open day and at first was NOT impressed lol! As the strange woman showed us a shared room first but didnt actually explain it was a shared room so everyone there was a bit shocked at first. Then she showed us the single rooms and the corridors reminded me of a prison lol! The kitchen was quite big (however i didnt notice a microwave) and the bathrooms didnt look too bad! I thought the single rooms were quite a good size actually and a nice surprise after seeing the shared room! The lady that showed us round actually said people prefer the shared rooms but i dont see how as it was like a box! Its going to be weird living there but i suppose i dont really have any other choice lol!
Reply 12
Clare1986
I went to look round one of the halls today (bradley?) on the clearing open day and at first was NOT impressed lol! As the strange woman showed us a shared room first but didnt actually explain it was a shared room so everyone there was a bit shocked at first. Then she showed us the single rooms and the corridors reminded me of a prison lol! The kitchen was quite big (however i didnt notice a microwave) and the bathrooms didnt look too bad! I thought the single rooms were quite a good size actually and a nice surprise after seeing the shared room! The lady that showed us round actually said people prefer the shared rooms but i dont see how as it was like a box! Its going to be weird living there but i suppose i dont really have any other choice lol!

And in the end it will only be a year that you are there then you can move into a house with your new friends
It’s not any different to most university halls of residence. Haven’t been in Bradley (as it catered for Brunel students) though I agree with the hallways being a little scary. However, once everyone has moved in it’s much more livelier. About the microwave issue - unless you live in Mews Cottage you don't have one!

Also as Hayley mentions it's only for a year - less than that at that too. You will get used to it. There is a great atmosphere in some of the halls and it's no surprise many RHUL students have decided to continue living there for their second year. Though for me sharing a beautiful house with five amazing friends was much more enticing then staying on.
Reply 14
Hayley Kim
And in the end it will only be a year that you are there then you can move into a house with your new friends

Yeah i'm sure it will be fine when i get there! :dontknow:
Reply 15
The tour lady said that there will only be about 50 Brunel students on the site this year and about 300 Royal Holloway students!
Reply 16
Clare1986
The tour lady said that there will only be about 50 Brunel students on the site this year and about 300 Royal Holloway students!

I think I'm going to be another one of them. There were pricings for single rooms, studio flats and shared rooms on the info document but no way of saying which you wanted on the form?

Do they just plonk us in one of them or is there a stage where we can choose?
Reply 17
Sgt.Fox
I think I'm going to be another one of them. There were pricings for single rooms, studio flats and shared rooms on the info document but no way of saying which you wanted on the form?

Do they just plonk us in one of them or is there a stage where we can choose?

I think the majority will just be given single rooms and those people who apply last get put in the shared rooms :eek:
I loved the Brunel students. They were absolute gems, so welcoming + friendly (well the boys anyway). Most of them graduated in the summer, but I'm still in touch with a few of them! :smile:

I didn't get to choose last year so I doubt you will.
Reply 19
Well, I sent my accomodation form off to Brunel yesterday, so hopefully I should be staying in runnymede too. They said on the form that you're likely to get a place if you send it off before the end of august, and yesterday was the 25th. :smile:

I'm studying BSc Computer Science btw, so an Internet Connection is a bonus really (late-night emailing of work. :smile:)

Latest

Trending

Trending