The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Challenging and Long-lasting Experience at Royal Holloway Psychology

If you aspire to build a successful career through this university, it's advisable to reconsider your options. This is not the right university to achieve that. I speak from my own experience.

I had high expectations of these professors, since I had invested a significant amount of time helping them voluntarily in their research, even working extra hours without compensation. I had done so much for them and they made it seem like there were opportunities to collaborate with them academically. They only gave me false hope that they would support me, provide a letter of recommendation for internships, scholarships, and even a PhD position in the Psychology Department. All these made me work too much for them and delay applications to other universities, to other institutions, thinking that this was my place. But, in fact, it was a deception, and they left me suspended without any other opportunities for my career.

I found these professors inhumane, corrupt and ready to protect one another to the detriment of the student whom they exploited intellectually and whom they didn’t provide any chances for her to evolve for herself.

Hence, I had to readjust my academic path, and despite them, I managed to succeed. I navigated through this challenging and protracted experience, achieving first-class honours, successfully concluding my academic situation.

In addition to that, I worked in other places to support myself financially, as the university did not provide any financial support. I managed to sustain myself financially on my own.

I managed on my own to get out of there, moving on to a superior research institute, and today, I work with some of the most globally renowned professors who never exploited me for their benefit. But those RHUL professors also tried to compromise my career after RHUL.

My experience so far has shown me that there are much better places for personal and academic growth than Royal Holloway and their Psychology Department.

That's what they try to do—diminish your ambition, motivation, self-confidence, reputation, and potential in the eyes of others (i.e. prospective supervisors, employers, scientists).

The Psychology professors think that the Psychology students have all kinds of mental health issues and stigmatize them. The truth is that these issues become apparent only after these students have started studying here. And I don't think it's a coincidence.

I firmly believe that I could have had a more fulfilling academic experience at a different university and department than RHUL Psychology. My decision to pursue my degree there is my biggest regret. From my experience, I believe that the competitiveness of RHUL Psychology in terms of academic career prospects and the quality of the degree has declined over the years. To me it came across that there was a lack of effort in keeping the program and research/work options contemporary and competitive for students’ post-graduation endeavours. It also came across that this is partly why some professors seemed more inclined to support graduates from higher-ranking universities and rather minimal in their support to their own students and graduates. I noticed this from more senior professors who were there for a longer time, because the more junior academics seemed friendlier towards students.

Also the university rankings confirm my belief about the decline of this university. The university was ranked around 100 in the world when I started. In the present it revolves around the place 350 which is a significant steep decline.

I have come to the conclusion that RHUL Psychology is not what it once was anymore. Well, neither back then was it what it seemed to be...now it got to the place where it belongs.
(edited 4 months ago)
Omg I really wanted to go here 😕. How long ago was this? I hope those professors have gone. And can you tell me the grades and qualifications you used to get in? I’m so sorry for your experience and this has definitely made me start to rethink my decision.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
Omg I really wanted to go here 😕. How long ago was this? I hope those professors have gone. And can you tell me the grades and qualifications you used to get in? I’m so sorry for your experience and this has definitely made me start to rethink my decision.

My grades were higher than their entry requirements. With them, I also gained acceptance to universities that had higher grade requirements and were ranked higher, both in terms of overall university ranking and the ranking of their psychology department. Also, those universities maintained their high ranking, whereas RH dropped from around 100 to around 350. Two of my grades were in STEM subjects.

Yes, those professors are still there; they have each other's backs, and it seems to work well for them to remain in that environment. It’s a bureaucratic system, and they function like a network. If you're a student there and a professor or staff member targets you, absolutely no one will stand up for you. The unfriendly professors are willing to invest effort and long periods of time to make things difficult for you, while the friendly professors will not get involved.

This didn’t happen long ago. I am talking about it now because I am no longer dependent on them. Although I'm a bit nervous to share my experience, I believe it’s the right thing to do. I hope other (prospective) students will be alert and that they will have a better student experience than mine or others'.
Original post by RHULPsyGrad
My grades were higher than their entry requirements. With them, I also gained acceptance to universities that had higher grade requirements and were ranked higher, both in terms of overall university ranking and the ranking of their psychology department. Also, those universities maintained their high ranking, whereas RH dropped from around 100 to around 350. Two of my grades were in STEM subjects.

Yes, those professors are still there; they have each other's backs, and it seems to work well for them to remain in that environment. It’s a bureaucratic system, and they function like a network. If you're a student there and a professor or staff member targets you, absolutely no one will stand up for you. The unfriendly professors are willing to invest effort and long periods of time to make things difficult for you, while the friendly professors will not get involved.

This didn’t happen long ago. I am talking about it now because I am no longer dependent on them. Although I'm a bit nervous to share my experience, I believe it’s the right thing to do. I hope other (prospective) students will be alert and that they will have a better student experience than mine or others'.

Thank you so much for your response! Yeah, I’ve definitely been going back and forth and I’m glad you’ve spoken up about your experience because this will certainly help others with their decision making and hopefully those professors won’t hold their positions if they are just going to continue targeting students. Like, ugh.

You did really well!! I’m glad it’s worked out for you in the end regardless <333.

How would you say the students and the general activities were? I’ve heard it’s not that fun but I don’t go clubbing much. I would prefer fun outings with friends. Then again, I’m not worried because I have other Uni choices, just taking a peek into Rhul now!
Reply 4
Original post by P.r.i.n.z.y
Thank you so much for your response! Yeah, I’ve definitely been going back and forth and I’m glad you’ve spoken up about your experience because this will certainly help others with their decision making and hopefully those professors won’t hold their positions if they are just going to continue targeting students. Like, ugh.

You did really well!! I’m glad it’s worked out for you in the end regardless <333.

How would you say the students and the general activities were? I’ve heard it’s not that fun but I don’t go clubbing much. I would prefer fun outings with friends. Then again, I’m not worried because I have other Uni choices, just taking a peek into Rhul now!

When it comes to the students and general activities, I believe you'll be fine. Most students will find friends who share their interests. I still keep in touch with some of the friends I made there due to our shared academic interests, even though we've pursued somewhat different career paths.

The campus is pretty green and nice and it’s the pride of RH along with the historical Founder’s building looking like a castle. There’re several places to have food and drinks on campus. RH is based in Egham which has a couple of supermarkets, essential shops and pubs. Overall, Egham is a small quiet town. It’s around a 2.5 hours return commute to London.

After RH, I worked and studied in city based universities, and the environment did feel more vibrant. In my case, during my undergrad, I needed to work to finance my living costs. So I would have benefited to study in a city based university where there were more and a greater variety of work opportunities including related to my career interests. It was often a struggle to find paying work opportunities, let alone those relevant to my degree, within an affordable and less time-consuming commuting distance. So, I often ended up working 80-100 hours a week, which included completing my academic assignments, working jobs that paid the bills, and gaining experience relevant to my degree and career, most of which was done voluntarily. However, if you have financial support, it might be easier for you even if you don’t study in a city.

You can go during an Open Day/Applicant Visit Day to see how you like it.
When it comes to the students and general activities, I believe you'll be fine. Most students will find friends who share their interests. I still keep in touch with some of the friends I made there due to our shared academic interests, even though we've pursued somewhat different career paths.

The campus is pretty green and nice and it’s the pride of RH along with the historical Founder’s building looking like a castle. There’re several places to have food and drinks on campus. RH is based in Egham which has a couple of supermarkets, essential shops and pubs. Overall, Egham is a small quiet town. It’s around a 2.5 hours return commute to London.

After RH, I worked and studied in city based universities, and the environment did feel more vibrant. In my case, during my undergrad, I needed to work to finance my living costs. So I would have benefited to study in a city based university where there were more and a greater variety of work opportunities including related to my career interests. It was often a struggle to find paying work opportunities, let alone those relevant to my degree, within an affordable and less time-consuming commuting distance. So, I often ended up working 80-100 hours a week, which included completing my academic assignments, working jobs that paid the bills, and gaining experience relevant to my degree and career, most of which was done voluntarily. However, if you have financial support, it might be easier for you even if you don’t study in a city.

You can go during an Open Day/Applicant Visit Day to see how you like it.

Thank you so so much! You have been so helpful!

I do intend on working while studying and possibly looking for better opportunities so a city based University might do more good for me. However, I do like RH’s campus a lot and I even like how quiet it may be! I don’t need too much fuss haha.

I am ambiverted and will surely enjoy both types of places.

I really want to start building a good research profile + work experience because the road to becoming a clinical psychologist is quite rocky & competitive☹️. What do you think of that with RH?
Reply 6
Original post by P.r.i.n.z.y
Thank you so so much! You have been so helpful!

I do intend on working while studying and possibly looking for better opportunities so a city based University might do more good for me. However, I do like RH’s campus a lot and I even like how quiet it may be! I don’t need too much fuss haha.

I am ambiverted and will surely enjoy both types of places.

I really want to start building a good research profile + work experience because the road to becoming a clinical psychologist is quite rocky & competitive☹️. What do you think of that with RH?

I don’t have more to add at the moment.

As I explained, there were several changes the last few years; the steep drop in ranking, I think also the entrance requirements used to be higher, some good professors moved to higher ranking universities. If I were to make my university choice now, I wouldn’t consider RH, even if I were confident that I didn’t have that experience, because I would be competitive for universities that align more closely with my academic goals.

You’re assessing them as much as they assess you. So, it would be fair to you to ask them about concrete options to build a good research profile, etc. and how to achieve your career endeavours. Wherever you choose to go, take your studies and career aspirations seriously. Give as much as you want and whatever will come of it will be rewarding. I’m confident in your ability to make informed decisions and succeed in achieving your academic and career goals.
I don’t have more to add at the moment.
As I explained, there were several changes the last few years; the steep drop in ranking, I think also the entrance requirements used to be higher, some good professors moved to higher ranking universities. If I were to make my university choice now, I wouldn’t consider RH, even if I were confident that I didn’t have that experience, because I would be competitive for universities that align more closely with my academic goals.
You’re assessing them as much as they assess you. So, it would be fair to you to ask them about concrete options to build a good research profile, etc. and how to achieve your career endeavours. Wherever you choose to go, take your studies and career aspirations seriously. Give as much as you want and whatever will come of it will be rewarding. I’m confident in your ability to make informed decisions and succeed in achieving your academic and career goals.
Thank you so much, genuinely. I received an offer from them and I love their campus but I am not sure it will be my firm based on everything :smile:. You’ve been very helpful. Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending