The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

He even sounds like a cardboard cut-out of himself in text. The answers all seem fairly pale for a 'man of substance.'
Bobo1234
Well I don't go to state school, but the rest is correct. No longer live on a council estate though, and the EMA all goes to my grandparents to help with fees.

well i stand corrected :h:
I would ask then, if government financial help has benefited yourself and your family previously, why do you feel it unecessary now as a soon to be university student?
Reply 22
Lord Vader Mandelson was obviously in the room when he wrote the reply to the Digital Economy Act question :rolleyes: It's unbelievable that they're supporting the process with which it's been enacted. It's clear to everyone that's concerned about the implications of this Act, that there's not been transparency in how this bill's gone through parliament and that there's been no discussion with any other party other than the industry lobbyists' chequebooks.

I'm annoyed that he's yet another one that's totally dodged answering question 2, though... :curious:
Reply 23
Bobo1234
Well I don't go to state school, but the rest is correct. No longer live on a council estate though, and the EMA all goes to my grandparents to help with fees.

Wonderful to see someone getting EMA who actually uses it for education. :smile:
DiamondsAreForever
Why Will None Of Them Answer My Question Properly :angry:

I'm sure it's nothing something personal :teehee:
JordanCarroll
trust me, i hate answers that dodge the question,
but read between the lines, if he has to dodge the question, then...

to be honest they could all answer question 2, there was no need for him to dodge it
Reply 26
JordanCarroll
I'm pretty sure there's a response under the question.

The Student Room is great!

Spoiler

Mad Vlad
Lord Vader

you should've seen Lord Vader at the national sci competition,
just a joke tbh
lets_make_some_music
to be honest they could all answer question 2, there was no need for him to dodge it

Solution: get Jeremy paxman to ask question 2. job's a good'un.
Reply 29
Bobo1234
Pretty ****** but I go to a private school on a 75% bursary, the rest of which is paid for by my grandparents...why, what were you expecting?

I see that even private schools can't instill some manners.
Reply 30
Sorry Gord, the students are bumming Clegg now. Shame he's as spineless as you are.
Reply 31
JordanCarroll

Paxman can't get an answer out of some people - he may ask the questions ten times in an interview and still have the question dodged by politicians.
Reply 32
JordanCarroll

This. :biggrin: That'd be funny to see.
Muffinz
Wonderful to see someone getting EMA who actually uses it for education. :smile:

Yeah, it's wonderful that government money is being used to fund someone to attend a private school and fuel the class divide. That's exactly what I want my taxes to pay for.

Not.
Reply 34
silkspectre
Yeah, it's wonderful that government money is being used to fund someone to attend a private school and fuel the class divide. That's exactly what I want my taxes to pay for.

Not.

I'd rather it go on private school fees than cider and cigarettes.
Muffinz
Paxman can't get an answer out of some people - he may ask the questions ten times in an interview and still have the question dodged by politicians.

THEY ARE THE BEST!
in all seriousness, the public would then know not to vote for that individual's party after seeing something as ridiculous as dodging the question as many times as some Youtube videos will reveal :p:
Reply 36
Mad Vlad
Lord Vader Mandelson was obviously in the room when he wrote the reply to the Digital Economy Act question :rolleyes: It's unbelievable that they're supporting the process with which it's been enacted. It's clear to everyone that's concerned about the implications of this Act, that there's not been transparency in how this bill's gone through parliament and that there's been no discussion with any other party other than the industry lobbyists' chequebooks.

I'm annoyed that he's yet another one that's totally dodged answering question 2, though... :curious:

But the thing is that the bill is pretty rubbish, yeah it's a bit dodgy on how it went through but is it really going to make any difference? It might scare some P2P users and I'd be thinking it would be those light users anyway who'd stop using P2P but as far as legislation goes this falls flat on it's face.
Reply 37
DiamondsAreForever
Why Will None Of Them Answer My Question Properly :angry:

I think it's a phrasing problem which allows them to dodge it. If you had said the following, maybe it'd focus more on what you want:

"The dependence on parents income in determining financial aid is fuelling a divide in universities. Those on low incomes can afford to have no outside financial assistance whatsoever due to the generous bursary system, whilst those whose parents are on higher incomes can barely afford to cover their accomodation with their student loan and are forced to take out further loans in order to pay for their living costs. The parents who are on higher incomes are very seldom able to make contributions towards their child's living costs. What can you do to make close this divide between the children of the rich and poor?"

I think that's what you meant to say, right?
He's clearly not in favour of flat rate student loans.
Muffinz
The parents who are on higher incomes are very seldom able to make contributions towards their child's living costs. What can you do to make close this divide between the children of the rich and poor?"

hmm, i'd like to see some sort of nationwide study into this,
as we could argue all day anecdotally and get absolutely nowhere.

you see both, those from middle class families having no problem with their finances, and the opposite, usually those on the cusp of losing benefits or whose family have a lot of debt.

Latest

Trending

Trending