The Student Room Group

Midwifery Interview

Hiya! I’ve got an interview for Robert Gordon for midwifery (my top choice!!) and was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice on how I should prepare myself? It’s also a SAMMI interview meaning it’s online and the questions are prerecorded, does anyone have any experience with this?
Reply 1
Original post by mya6
Hiya! I’ve got an interview for Robert Gordon for midwifery (my top choice!!) and was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice on how I should prepare myself? It’s also a SAMMI interview meaning it’s online and the questions are prerecorded, does anyone have any experience with this?

Hi Mya 😊😊

NHS Scotland registered midwife here....

Although nobody else can give you exact question and answers for your upcoming midwifery interview they can't give you example of what maybe asked.

I know that some universities were giving potential students pre interview information so that they can research and study this prior to doing the interview...... If you were sent this information then I would suggest that you research and study this as you'll be interviewed based on this information you were given.

So best thing to prepare yourself is to start researching the NMC code of practice,
The 6 C's of nursing
Why you want to be a midwife rather than one of the other nursing fields.
Why did you choose Robert Gordon for your midwifery degree .
How will you cope with stress while on shift
How will you cope with a bereavement while on shift and stay professional as a midwife as you will come over this at some point during your degree and also as a qualified midwife.
What if any nursing experience have you got ( not necessary but useful if you have).

Be calmed during your interview, try to answer all the questions within a certain time and if you don't understand what was asked your can ask them to repeat it but avoid that if possible.
You'll get a individual question and answers session with interviewers and then you'll do a group chat with everyone else doing the interview at the same time as yourself.

I don't know if this might be useful for you below if you can access the link....

rgu.ac.uk
https://www.rgu.ac.uk ... Apply
Selection Visits & Interviews | Apply - Robert Gordon University

When I did my midwife degree interview it was Face to face which was better as had more time to answer things.
I did mine at Edinburgh Napier although I'm from Glasgow.
I'm currently band 6 charge nurse midwife which involves lots and lots of extra responsibilities.
Reply 2
Original post by Tracey_W
Hi Mya 😊😊

NHS Scotland registered midwife here....

Although nobody else can give you exact question and answers for your upcoming midwifery interview they can't give you example of what maybe asked.

I know that some universities were giving potential students pre interview information so that they can research and study this prior to doing the interview...... If you were sent this information then I would suggest that you research and study this as you'll be interviewed based on this information you were given.

So best thing to prepare yourself is to start researching the NMC code of practice,
The 6 C's of nursing
Why you want to be a midwife rather than one of the other nursing fields.
Why did you choose Robert Gordon for your midwifery degree .
How will you cope with stress while on shift
How will you cope with a bereavement while on shift and stay professional as a midwife as you will come over this at some point during your degree and also as a qualified midwife.
What if any nursing experience have you got ( not necessary but useful if you have).

Be calmed during your interview, try to answer all the questions within a certain time and if you don't understand what was asked your can ask them to repeat it but avoid that if possible.
You'll get a individual question and answers session with interviewers and then you'll do a group chat with everyone else doing the interview at the same time as yourself.

I don't know if this might be useful for you below if you can access the link....

rgu.ac.uk
https://www.rgu.ac.uk ... Apply
Selection Visits & Interviews | Apply - Robert Gordon University

When I did my midwife degree interview it was Face to face which was better as had more time to answer things.
I did mine at Edinburgh Napier although I'm from Glasgow.
I'm currently band 6 charge nurse midwife which involves lots and lots of extra responsibilities.

thank you so so much!! this is incredibly helpful <3
Reply 3
Original post by mya6
thank you so so much!! this is incredibly helpful <3

You are so welcome 🤗🤗

Hopefully everything goes well with your interview 😊😊

Do your most upbeat best on the day and then wait and see how you get on with a potential offer.
Original post by mya6

Hi! I also have just been given an interview for Robert Gordons midwifery. Have you had your interview yet? If so do you have any tips? (I am very nervous!)
Original post by ChloeMo4
Hi! I also have just been given an interview for Robert Gordons midwifery. Have you had your interview yet? If so do you have any tips? (I am very nervous!)

Congratulations on your interview for midwifery.

I would suggest that you perhaps read over the information that @Tracey_W provided in her reply 1 to mya6.
Nobody is allowed to give you interview questions that they were asked due to fairness for the other candidates.

Try not to be too nervous when you do your interview.
The interviewers knows that potential students can be nervous during a nursing interview and they will do there best to assure you throughout the interview. If you completely fluff ( absolutely nervous throughout your interview) then there's a change you might not be offered a place.

Be prepared with any questions you want to ask at the end, make sure you do your research and study about midwifery.

Best thing to do is to make sure you put as much info over when asked your questions and don't hesitate to much ☺️. If you put enough over then hopefully you'll be given a chance to go to university. Remembering that there's limited numbers each year for intakes of students.

The 3 universities in Scotland only take in around 250 potential students between them each year as reason why the midwifery course is very highly competitive.

Best wishes
NHS Scotland dual adult nurse and midwife.
Reply 6
Original post by ChloeMo4

Hi Chloe
Hope you are doing ok.

Just go over what I previously written to mya6 in my reply to her.
Nobody can understand can give you any exact questions etc for your interview just because of giving fairness to the other candidates who'll be doing the same interview as yourself.

Do your up most best on the day of your interview and then await the outcome.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending