The Student Room Group

solicitor apprenticeship

Hi there,

I was just wondering what some of the best law firms to apply for a solicitor apprenticeship were? Additionally, would anybody be able to send tips/notes on the whole application process, as I'm aware solicitor apprenticeships are very competitive :smile:

Finally, I was wondering if it would be possible to maintain a good social/night life doing an apprenticeship instead of uni, and if you have the same chance to make new friends.

If anyone is currently doing a solicitor apprenticeship, I would love to get into contact :smile:

Thank you!
Reply 1
I'm sorry no one has answered. I'm looking for similar answers though!
Hi!

This is a bit late but I recently got an offer to do a law apprenticeship at KPMG and it looks really good in terms of the support and experience you get as well as the social activities side of it too! So i would recommend KPMG as a company to look at!

It is really competitive but when i was applying I also looked at other companies such as Weightmanns etc.

I would be happy to answer any of your questions!
Original post by muffin1822
Hi!

This is a bit late but I recently got an offer to do a law apprenticeship at KPMG and it looks really good in terms of the support and experience you get as well as the social activities side of it too! So i would recommend KPMG as a company to look at!

It is really competitive but when i was applying I also looked at other companies such as Weightmanns etc.

Thank you so much! I never knew KPMG did law apprenticeships.

Once you get started, would you please let me know how you're finding it :smile:
Original post by ilovepuppiez
Thank you so much! I never knew KPMG did law apprenticeships.

Once you get started, would you please let me know how you're finding it :smile:

Yep of course!
Yeahh actually I didn't know either, its a pretty recent programme it started in 2021
Original post by ilovepuppiez
Hi there,

I was just wondering what some of the best law firms to apply for a solicitor apprenticeship were? Additionally, would anybody be able to send tips/notes on the whole application process, as I'm aware solicitor apprenticeships are very competitive :smile:

Finally, I was wondering if it would be possible to maintain a good social/night life doing an apprenticeship instead of uni, and if you have the same chance to make new friends.

If anyone is currently doing a solicitor apprenticeship, I would love to get into contact :smile:

Thank you!

I'm also planning on applying for solicitor apprenticeships in year 13 and am starting to research some.
Below is all law apprenticeships listed on prospects but some are paralegal and not solicitor so I need to sort through them.
Addleshaw Goddard
Ashfords
Bevan Brittan LLP
Blacks Solicitors
Browne Jacobson
Burges Salmon
Charles Russell Speechlys
Clyde & Co
CMS
DAC Beachcroft
Dentons
DWF
Eversheds Sutherland
Fladgate
Fletchers Solicitors
Freeths
Gordons
Gowling WLG
Hill Dickinson
Horwich Farrelly
Irwin Mitchell
Kennedys
Keoghs
Mayer Brown
Michelmores
Minster Law
Norton Rose Fulbright
Osborne Clarke
Pinsent Masons
Plexus Law
RPC
SAS Daniels
Stephensons
TLT LLP
WithersWorldwide
Womble Bond Dickinson
Hi!

Hi,

i recently got accepted to start my apprenticeship in Septmeber. If you have any questions or need any advice i'd be more than happy to help :smile:
Original post by l0uisexox
Hi,

i recently got accepted to start my apprenticeship in Septmeber. If you have any questions or need any advice i'd be more than happy to help :smile:

Hi,

How competitive are degree apprenticeships for law really? People always says it depends or try to swerve the question without directly offering any sort of concrete numbers. I hear conflicting things like it's really competitive because it's for law but then I hear that not many people know apprenticeships exist so not many apply so what kind of numbers are we talking for a decent firm.
And my second question would be - surely, if you apply to like 50 apprenticeships you're sure to get into at least one. I have a predicted A*A*A* and a lot of relevant work experience under my belt so I am hoping that an apprenticeship is realistically something I can do. Please help me on this. Thanks.
Reply 8
heyy, thought I'd share my opinion and advice on how competitive degree apprenticeships are. So I applied to around 10 legal apprenticeships last year in year 13, was predicated 3As, had two legal work experiences and didn’t get any offers. Degree apprenticeships are extremely difficult to get. I had to take a gap year to give it another go, I ended up with 2 offers this year, I had to put in so much effort to get my offers. It kinda felt like I worked harder to get an apprenticeship than I did for my a levels. "with almost 550 candidates applying for a limited number of Solicitor Apprenticeship roles. Only 26 candidates made it through to the final assessment day you attended" - this is part of a rejection email i got earlier this year to put it into perspective for you. Mind you that 26 people made it to the last stage and they had to pick 6 people to recruit.

Basically the way I see it is if you put in the right amount of effort you honestly will get the apprenticeship you want in the end.

Hope this helps.
Original post by toxicgamage56
Hi,

How competitive are degree apprenticeships for law really? People always says it depends or try to swerve the question without directly offering any sort of concrete numbers. I hear conflicting things like it's really competitive because it's for law but then I hear that not many people know apprenticeships exist so not many apply so what kind of numbers are we talking for a decent firm.
And my second question would be - surely, if you apply to like 50 apprenticeships you're sure to get into at least one. I have a predicted A*A*A* and a lot of relevant work experience under my belt so I am hoping that an apprenticeship is realistically something I can do. Please help me on this. Thanks.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by BFK
heyy, thought I'd share my opinion and advice on how competitive degree apprenticeships are. So I applied to around 10 legal apprenticeships last year in year 13, was predicated 3As, had two legal work experiences and didn’t get any offers. Degree apprenticeships are extremely difficult to get. I had to take a gap year to give it another go, I ended up with 2 offers this year, I had to put in so much effort to get my offers. It kinda felt like I worked harder to get an apprenticeship than I did for my a levels. "with almost 550 candidates applying for a limited number of Solicitor Apprenticeship roles. Only 26 candidates made it through to the final assessment day you attended" - this is part of a rejection email i got earlier this year to put it into perspective for you. Mind you that 26 people made it to the last stage and they had to pick 6 people to recruit.

Basically the way I see it is if you put in the right amount of effort you honestly will get the apprenticeship you want in the end.

Hope this helps.

Wow, and I thought apprenticeships were relatively obscure. 550 applications for 6 places - I might as well try my luck at Oxbridge. What two offers did you receive if you don't mind me asking? I will be applying to ~15 apprenticeships I think at this stage (DLA Piper, Dentons, Allen & Overy, NRF, CMS, Mayer Brown, Eversheds Sutherland, Ashurst, Clyde & Co, Pinsent Masons, Simmons & Simmons, WBD, KPMG, Deloitte, Osborne Clarke, Mischon De Reya, Addleshaw Goddard, Irwin Mitchell). Obviously, I'll get rejected from many early on allowing me to focus on the ones remaining - I'm hoping I can kind of circumnavigate the huge chance of rejection a little by increasing my opportunities. I might even apply to a few finance degree apprenticeships, because I am wholly invested in commercial/corporate law so finance is my next favourite/available route. Tbh, I don't want to go to university but if I don't get in, I won't be as lucky as you in being able to take a gap year because of the nature of my household so I'll have to settle with university for which I haven't even got a PS yet haha. My relevant legal experiences total to about 4 I'd say - Clifford Chance's ACCESS, Osborne Clarke's insight day, Allen & Overy's smart applications, and QMUL's human rights project, so I'm not exactly enriched in that regard either. In what ways did you conduct research on your firms btw? Did you learn about the respective areas of the law via reading or through alternative means? And if you can, could you tell me about some of the types of questions asked by the firms as you've gone through a heck-load of application processes by the sounds of it. Sorry for the barrage of questions - please do feel free to DM me or tell me your LinkedIn if you feel more comfortable talking that way! :biggrin:
Reply 10
I have pm you :smile:

Original post by toxicgamage56
Wow, and I thought apprenticeships were relatively obscure. 550 applications for 6 places - I might as well try my luck at Oxbridge. What two offers did you receive if you don't mind me asking? I will be applying to ~15 apprenticeships I think at this stage (DLA Piper, Dentons, Allen & Overy, NRF, CMS, Mayer Brown, Eversheds Sutherland, Ashurst, Clyde & Co, Pinsent Masons, Simmons & Simmons, WBD, KPMG, Deloitte, Osborne Clarke, Mischon De Reya, Addleshaw Goddard, Irwin Mitchell). Obviously, I'll get rejected from many early on allowing me to focus on the ones remaining - I'm hoping I can kind of circumnavigate the huge chance of rejection a little by increasing my opportunities. I might even apply to a few finance degree apprenticeships, because I am wholly invested in commercial/corporate law so finance is my next favourite/available route. Tbh, I don't want to go to university but if I don't get in, I won't be as lucky as you in being able to take a gap year because of the nature of my household so I'll have to settle with university for which I haven't even got a PS yet haha. My relevant legal experiences total to about 4 I'd say - Clifford Chance's ACCESS, Osborne Clarke's insight day, Allen & Overy's smart applications, and QMUL's human rights project, so I'm not exactly enriched in that regard either. In what ways did you conduct research on your firms btw? Did you learn about the respective areas of the law via reading or through alternative means? And if you can, could you tell me about some of the types of questions asked by the firms as you've gone through a heck-load of application processes by the sounds of it. Sorry for the barrage of questions - please do feel free to DM me or tell me your LinkedIn if you feel more comfortable talking that way! :biggrin:
Original post by BFK

Hope this helps.

Thank you! Which firms did you get an offer with?
Hi!

I'm applying there at the moment and currently waiting for them to send the assessment to me. Do you have any advice for the application process? It would be massively appreciated. Thank you
Hi, do you have any tips for the assessments area of applying to the apprenticeships?

Original post by l0uisexox
Hi,

Reply 14
Original post by Luqmanakbar
Hi, do you have any tips for the assessments area of applying to the apprenticeships?

I’m in the same boat. I have my first VI coming up, is this something you have completed? :smile:
Reply 15
sorry this is late, i've completed a fair few now and am just waiting for responses.
Reply 16
Original post by BFK

Hope this helps.

hi! was just wondering what things you changed with your applications from before and after your gap year + what you did differently to ensure you received an apprenticeship. i’m applying this year (im in year 12 rn) and im not too keen on the idea of a gap year just in case even after my gap year i don’t get in and i’d hate waiting that long! did you also apply to the same firms again? thank you so much
Original post by BFK

Hope this helps.

hey do you mind helping me with apprenticeship applications as im in the same position as you, took a gap year to reapply. please message me or drop your socials if you don't mind because I really need the help rn

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending