The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Cardiff University Accommodation

Hi everyone!
So I've firmed Cardiff and now I'm looking at accommodation but am unsure which ones will suit me more. I've heard that many students in Cardiff halls are into partying and as I'm not into partying or drinking I was wondering would it be better if I go for private accommodation? If so, any recommendations? Are there any university accommodations that don't have as much of a 'party' reputation?
Hey there, in most residences there is a fairly even mix of people who go out and people who don't like to. Also a lot of residences have specific "quiet living" areas which just means you'd probably be living with people similar to you, who would prefer not to go out all the time. If it helps, I stayed in Senghennydd Hall, not in quiet living, I only went out twice all year and I still made good friends that I will be moving in with next year! If you have any other questions feel free to ask me and I'll try and help :smile:
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Original post by tylerp14
Hey there, in most residences there is a fairly even mix of people who go out and people who don't like to. Also a lot of residences have specific "quiet living" areas which just means you'd probably be living with people similar to you, who would prefer not to go out all the time. If it helps, I stayed in Senghennydd Hall, not in quiet living, I only went out twice all year and I still made good friends that I will be moving in with next year! If you have any other questions feel free to ask me and I'll try and help :smile:

Ah ok thanks. I read somewhere that you can hear parties going on in most halls and that its hard to concentrate when studying. Is this true? Also are most accommodations near or far from the actual uni? As quite a few people recommend going for private accommodations as its closer to the uni. And lastly, I know Aberdare hall is an all-girls hall but I'm curious about the arrangement in the other halls. As in, is it like one floor will be all girls and the other floor will be all boys or is it just mixed?
Original post by ThePsychKid
Ah ok thanks. I read somewhere that you can hear parties going on in most halls and that its hard to concentrate when studying. Is this true? Also are most accommodations near or far from the actual uni? As quite a few people recommend going for private accommodations as its closer to the uni. And lastly, I know Aberdare hall is an all-girls hall but I'm curious about the arrangement in the other halls. As in, is it like one floor will be all girls and the other floor will be all boys or is it just mixed?

I wouldn’t say it’s hard to study, it can sometimes be fairly loud but usually around exam periods most people will be studying instead of going out anyway! As far as I’m aware, the Talybont residences are quite far from the city centre and the Uni buildings, depending which course you’re studying. The Senghennydd Hall and Court residences are about 10 minutes or less away from most buildings and the city centre, and they’re less popular so easier to get into. As for girls/boys, you can request a flat (so the people you share a kitchen and/or bathroom with) of all the same gender or you can say you have no preference, personally I said no preference and stayed in a flat of 3 girls and 5 boys so it’s up to you really :smile:
I wouldn’t say it’s hard to study, it can sometimes be fairly loud but usually around exam periods most people will be studying instead of going out anyway! As far as I’m aware, the Talybont residences are quite far from the city centre and the Uni buildings, depending which course you’re studying. The Senghennydd Hall and Court residences are about 10 minutes or less away from most buildings and the city centre, and they’re less popular so easier to get into. As for girls/boys, you can request a flat (so the people you share a kitchen and/or bathroom with) of all the same gender or you can say you have no preference, personally I said no preference and stayed in a flat of 3 girls and 5 boys so it’s up to you really :smile:

Ah I see. Do you know which accommodations would be closer to the psychology building? (I'm planning on doing psychology :smile:)
Ah I see. Do you know which accommodations would be closer to the psychology building? (I'm planning on doing psychology :smile:)

I think the Senghennydd buildings and Talybont Court would be about a 10-15 minute walk from your building, but the closest would probably be Colum Hall, I don’t know anyone who stayed there so I can’t comment on the quality of it as a residence!
I think the Senghennydd buildings and Talybont Court would be about a 10-15 minute walk from your building, but the closest would probably be Colum Hall, I don’t know anyone who stayed there so I can’t comment on the quality of it as a residence!

Ok thank you! You were really helpful!! :heart:
Ok thank you! You were really helpful!! :heart:

no worries! good luck with choosing :smile:
Original post by her0ndales
no worries! good luck with choosing :smile:

Which one is more social? Senghennydd hall or Gordon hall? I would like to choose a quieter hall if possible. :smile:
Reply 9
Hey Guys

So just to give you guys who are in Uni halls a chance to meet your future flatmates, and become part of your uni residence group, head to Facebook to find your respective accommodation page, it should be under your halls name + Freshers 20/21.

See ya soon
Original post by her0ndales

Hi, can you give your opinion please? Is there a real difference between the quiet living flats vs. the normal flats in places like Senghennydd Court and Talybont North? I mean if I selected quiet living because I want to be in those areas and it gives me another option in the list of 10, will I be having a way different experience to everyone in standard rooms or do you think a lot of people do that, choose the standard and then the quiet living option - just so they have two choices higher up the list on the accommodation selections? If you know what I mean?
Hi everyone!
So I've firmed Cardiff and now I'm looking at accommodation but am unsure which ones will suit me more. I've heard that many students in Cardiff halls are into partying and as I'm not into partying or drinking I was wondering would it be better if I go for private accommodation? If so, any recommendations? Are there any university accommodations that don't have as much of a 'party' reputation?

Hi there,

Current Cardiff Uni student here:smile:

There are "quite hall" options which have previously been mentioned. I personally don't really know anyone who lived in a quiet hall but I'm sure that the people who chose it would expect something more quiet. Deciding to come to Cardiff for me was a very last-minute decision so I was allocated to the student houses (village) and was in a shared house in Cathays with 9 other people. It was definitely more quite than that talybont but it really depends on your housemates, some of us drank and some of us didn't. Though, it was super affordable and really close to the city centre.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Jaz - Cardiff Uni Ref
Reply 12
Hi Jaz, what is Gordon Hall like, what if my daughter doesn't get on with the halls allocated and wants to move is that possible? also do you know of glendower private halls?
Reply 13
Original post by CardiffUni Rep
Hi there,

Current Cardiff Uni student here:smile:

There are "quite hall" options which have previously been mentioned. I personally don't really know anyone who lived in a quiet hall but I'm sure that the people who chose it would expect something more quiet. Deciding to come to Cardiff for me was a very last-minute decision so I was allocated to the student houses (village) and was in a shared house in Cathays with 9 other people. It was definitely more quite than that talybont but it really depends on your housemates, some of us drank and some of us didn't. Though, it was super affordable and really close to the city centre.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Jaz - Cardiff Uni Ref

I was assigned to the student houses (village) too. What was it like, and is there anything specific I should keep in mind? Though I'm worried about how those houses can comfortably accommodate 9 people, the rooms aren't shared, are they?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending