The Student Room Group

Immigration- Your Views

Immigration seems an important yet sensitive issue in both political and media circles. I am writing here to attain a better understanding of it. What I have so far:

Immigration is the movement of peoples between states. It becomes illegal when this conflicts with international law. It can confer benefits through the mixing of cultures and diversity and can fill important gaps in the labor market.

However, excess supply of labor can push real wages down and overpopulation can put a strain upon public services.

This is an issue relevant to my course and Brown's recent confrontation with the "bigoted woman" who claimed Eastern Europeans were "flocking" to the UK got me thinking.

I want to know your opinions on its effects, our UK point system and the racist tendencies it can bring.

Also, what is the link between refugees?

Thanks and any help is most appreciated
Reply 1
The question's fairly open ended. Without wanting to go into too much detail, I believe that immigration is largely a positive thing.

Economically, I think that it's almost undoubtedly beneficial. It may push wages down in some fields - but that's not always a bad thing. Immigrants tend to do the jobs that many citizens would refuse to do anyhow.

Rather the problem lies in integration. There's isn't enough of an effort on both the part of the immigrants, society and the government to encourage immigrants to integrate into our society. If a large cultural gap didn't exist then I don't think that there would be such an attitude toward immigration.

Latest

Trending

Trending