The Student Room Group

Epq - is COVID-19 too overused as an epq topic?

I'm considering a topic to do my epq on and I know I want to do it on the economy/ finance and I was thinking about doing how COVID-19 affected the UK economy. Is this too overused as a topic idea or too hard to do? Or will immigration for example be a better topic. I want an A* in my epq so I want to nail the topic.
Original post by Incrediblezed
I'm considering a topic to do my epq on and I know I want to do it on the economy/ finance and I was thinking about doing how COVID-19 affected the UK economy. Is this too overused as a topic idea or too hard to do? Or will immigration for example be a better topic. I want an A* in my epq so I want to nail the topic.

it doesnt matter what ur topic is you just need to make sure there is enough specific information and resources available to answer your question. it also doesnt matter how popular or over used your topic is because it wont make a difference to ur mark, and also its unlikely that anyone apart from your supervisors/teachers will read it - unis might say if youve done an epq you can get reduced grades but they wont read it. if you mention it in ur personal statement they might ask at an interview but again, they wont read it
Reply 2
Original post by arch17
it doesnt matter what ur topic is you just need to make sure there is enough specific information and resources available to answer your question. it also doesnt matter how popular or over used your topic is because it wont make a difference to ur mark, and also its unlikely that anyone apart from your supervisors/teachers will read it - unis might say if youve done an epq you can get reduced grades but they wont read it. if you mention it in ur personal statement they might ask at an interview but again, they wont read it

Will it not make it more boring for the examiner to read and therefore less likely to get good marks? And would you say the affect of COVID on the economy or immigration would be a better topic?
Will it not make it more boring for the examiner to read and therefore less likely to get good marks?

That's not how examiners mark things...
Will it not make it more boring for the examiner to read and therefore less likely to get good marks? And would you say the affect of COVID on the economy or immigration would be a better topic?

its not an examiner its your supervisor from school who marks and then it is moderated by other teachers. they dont get 'bored' and the final report or artefact is only worth a small portion of marks, the whole research process and planning etc is worth more marks combined. i think they are both interesting so ur title could be 'to what extent has covid negatively influenced the UK economy/ influenced immigration to the UK' but make sure its a complex and specific title
Reply 5
Original post by arch17
its not an examiner its your supervisor from school who marks and then it is moderated by other teachers. they dont get 'bored' and the final report or artefact is only worth a small portion of marks, the whole research process and planning etc is worth more marks combined. i think they are both interesting so ur title could be 'to what extent has covid negatively influenced the UK economy/ influenced immigration to the UK' but make sure its a complex and specific title

Ohhhh okay thank you I thought it was like all other exams and someone external marks it.
Reply 6
Both topics, the impact of COVID-19 on the UK economy and immigration, are relevant and can make for interesting EPQ topics. Ultimately, the topic you choose should align with your interests, capabilities, and available resources. Regardless of the topic, a well-executed and comprehensive research project can earn you an A* grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending