The Student Room Group

M.Sc Imperial vs UCL in A.I/machine learning + general info about these schools

Hi all,

Here's the dilemna: I just finished an undergrad in Canada in math and cs.
I decided to go in the machine learning field for my masters and i found these two schools. Here are my questions i would be oh so grateful if someone could answer these. Even better if someone already completed or is completing any of these masters i would love to get in touch with them.

1. I see that UCL and Imperial are ranked about the same on the general THE scale but UCL is not even ranked in the top 50 in the technology specific. I have heard biases saying Imperial is best but what are the general reputations of those two schools. I mean for example in america yale and U of chicago are ranked closely but anyone who got into both would choose yale because of prestige i guess. What is the feel for the two unis?

2. i'm interested in machine learning (ML) UCL has a specific ML program which is rare where as Imperial has A.I only so it's more focused on logic and such which i haven't studied here. Is it worth doing something a bit further from my interests if Imperial is better.

3. How comparatively hard are these unis, can i expect to have a life at any of them or just slave off for 3 months a time. could someone please give me an example week spent of a cs masters student in both unis?

4. Imperial's site claims that all course examinations occur after the two teaching semesters isn't that slightly problematic if one hasn't studied the course in 4 months?

5. I saw that UCL has much better housing than Imperial, what's the general cost of living in both areas would i fail to get into student housing?

I know this is a lot but thanks for answering.

J.
Reply 1
1. Imperial is better rated and has better reputation in every sense. Imperial has better prestige overall, but especially in sciences and math.
2. Thats a choice only you can make really. Personally I would be inclined to go for the course I preferred most. The difference between Imperial and UCL is rather minor, it's not like the difference between Imperial and Bolton for example.
3. UCL is quite laid back in my experience, the staff especially so in the maths department.
4. That is the case at any university in the UK, you just have to re-revise stuff.
5. Imperial is in a very very expensive area, and as far as I know, most students don't live that close.
Reply 2
Hey Chocozor,

I have got an admit for MSc Machine Learning from UCL. I am an international applicant from India. What have you finally decided? Are you joining UCL? I would be glad if you can elucidate the rationale behind your decision, as I am in a huge dillemma whether to take up the course or not.

My priority is to find employment right after I graduate in order to repay a huge education loan that I am planning to take.

I would appreciate if anybody else can also spare some time to share their opinion on this course.

Looking forward to some insightful replies..

Best Regards,
Deepak
Reply 3
The course and it's sister (machine learning and computational statistics) are EXCELLENT courses.

Not only does the course teach some of the latest developments in the field, it does it from a hard science perspective, unlike some other supposed machine learning courses.

Add to this the fact that UCL is the scientific co-ordinator of the PASCAL (pattern analysis, statistical modelling and computational learning) EU network - co-ordinating research efforts and conventions in this field - meaning that UCL is really the european hub of research in this field right now.
Ewan
1. Imperial is better rated and has better reputation in every sense. Imperial has better prestige overall, but especially in sciences and math.
2. Thats a choice only you can make really. Personally I would be inclined to go for the course I preferred most. The difference between Imperial and UCL is rather minor, it's not like the difference between Imperial and Bolton for example.
3. UCL is quite laid back in my experience, the staff especially so in the maths department.
4. That is the case at any university in the UK, you just have to re-revise stuff.
5. Imperial is in a very very expensive area, and as far as I know, most students don't live that close.

Agree with the above points.
Reply 5
Original post by jacetrader
The course and it's sister (machine learning and computational statistics) are EXCELLENT courses.

Not only does the course teach some of the latest developments in the field, it does it from a hard science perspective, unlike some other supposed machine learning courses.

Add to this the fact that UCL is the scientific co-ordinator of the PASCAL (pattern analysis, statistical modelling and computational learning) EU network - co-ordinating research efforts and conventions in this field - meaning that UCL is really the european hub of research in this field right now.

Hi, what is the ratio of applicant per place for the course Msc Machine Learning at UCL. Also, what are the job prospects after doing this course from UCL in UK?
Reply 6
Hi 1A*

Where did you joinded finally..and how is the enviornment like
I have offers from UCL and Edinburgh in msc computer science and i am confused ...how is the job prospectus ..i am from india and taking loan to pay my fee(20000 pounds :frown:)...Please share your experience ,,sum times i am doubt ful to go for UK or not ..please advice
Hi! I am in the very same situation, I got accepted into both Cambridge ML and Imperial AI. Have you decided between the two?

I'd go for Cambridge for the name + the experience of living in a city like Cambridge
Reply 8
Hands down, MSc Machine Learning (& definitely CSML) is the better course!!

My application to UCL got rejected a few years ago, so I ended up going to another university for MSc Data Science. It is a very competitive course to get into.

Latest

Trending

Trending