The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

How about UCL electronic and electrical engineering?

Hi, i am applying EEE (Beng)in UK, but unfortunately I received a rejection from IC EIE three days ago, imperial college london previously was my dream university, I was definitely crazy about it. Now I don’t know which university I need to choose next, how about UCL EEE, I don’t know whether its courses are good or not. Could anyone give me a response?
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I've moved your thread to the UCL forum (and left a link in the engineering forum) for you :smile:

UCL tends to have a somewhat mixed reputation for engineering - it's definitely not one of its flagship departments and seems to be plagued with student satisfaction issues (although equall, this is not uncommon for any large department at any large, highly ranked university).

Southampton is probably better for EE specifically and engineering generally, for example though. It's not the worst choice however. But consider whether you are elevating it in your estimation just because it's a London uni and the perceived prestige that goes with those, or if it's based on the actual course and its content.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Ange_lina
Hi, i am applying EEE (Beng)in UK, but unfortunately I received a rejection from IC EIE three days ago, imperial college london previously was my dream university, I was definitely crazy about it. Now I don’t now which university I need to choose next, how about UCL EEE, I don’t know whether its courses are good or not. Could anyone give me a response?

Hey if you mind what is your predicted grades?
Reply 3
Original post by MSTSR
Hey if you mind what is your predicted grades?

4A*,further math , AL math, physics and chemistry. I finished my AL math in my AS year but I only got an A, so I resat ALmath in 2021 winter.
4A*,further math , AL math, physics and chemistry. I finished my AL math in my AS year but I only got an A, so I resat ALmath in 2021 winter.

Hey, Did you get rejection after or before interview? Are you a home or international student? Thanks
UCL EEE allows you to take IEP Minor if you are interested in both EEE and computer science.
Reply 5
Original post by U87213201ser1
Hey, Did you get rejection after or before interview? Are you a home or international student? Thanks
UCL EEE allows you to take IEP Minor if you are interested in both EEE and computer science.

I am an international student, I got the rejection from IC before interviewing, very very upset.
I don’t know whether the courses and teachers in UCL EEE is good or not, and how about students satisfaction for it. I want to go to a school that has high ranking but at the same time I still need to consider the quality about courses.
Hi, i am applying EEE (Beng)in UK, but unfortunately I received a rejection from IC EIE three days ago, imperial college london previously was my dream university, I was definitely crazy about it. Now I don’t now which university I need to choose next, how about UCL EEE, I don’t know whether its courses are good or not. Could anyone give me a response?

Did you apply anywhere else apart from Imperial and UCL?
Reply 7
Original post by AstroDelta
Did you apply anywhere else apart from Imperial and UCL?

Yeah,I also applied university of Manchester, Bristol and Southampton.
Yeah,I also applied university of Manchester, Bristol and Southampton.

have you got offers from Manchester, Bristol and Southampton?
Yeah,I also applied university of Manchester, Bristol and Southampton

So in the UK, you will be well set if you went to either of the other 3 (as well as UCL) in terms of getting employment in industry, all are high reputation for engineering.

However, you mentioned you were an international applicant, so in that case I'd think the international reputation matters far more for you then it would generally for home students - probably why you were hoping to go to Imperial (honestly quite surprised your application got rejected before interview with 4A*). I'm not sure which country you're resident in, but I think I can safely assume that UCL degree will mean far more than one from Manchester/Bristol/Southampton. That being said, if you do get rejected, you shouldn't discount the other 3 since they are still very good unis for EEE, the student satisfaction especially at Bristol is better than UCL's. Hope this helps
Reply 10
Original post by U87213201ser1
have you got offers from Manchester, Bristol and Southampton?

Yes
Reply 11
So in the UK, you will be well set if you went to either of the other 3 (as well as UCL) in terms of getting employment in industry, all are high reputation for engineering.

However, you mentioned you were an international applicant, so in that case I'd think the international reputation matters far more for you then it would generally for home students - probably why you were hoping to go to Imperial (honestly quite surprised your application got rejected before interview with 4A*). I'm not sure which country you're resident in, but I think I can safely assume that UCL degree will mean far more than one from Manchester/Bristol/Southampton. That being said, if you do get rejected, you shouldn't discount the other 3 since they are still very good unis for EEE, the student satisfaction especially at Bristol is better than UCL's. Hope this helps

Hi,Really thank you for your suggestion at first. I’m an international student from China. You have mentioned an important issue is the international reputation of the school. My current plan now is to go to US to study for a doctor's degree after finishing my undergraduate and master's degree in UK. Finally, I want to go back to China to work.I think a school that has a higher ranking is good for me to apply a better university to finish my Master degree and PHD.This is why I would like to choose to study in UCL. The most significant thing that makes me struggle now is how about the UCL EEE ? Is this major in UCL suitable for me to finish my undergraduate degree based on several situations i mentioned above? I want to know more information about whether its course has a high quality? Is the teacher responsible? Is the academic atmosphere good? ( Honestly, Anyway, my grades are not bad and I don't want to go to a place that is not suitable for studying)In addition, why I consider to study in UCL bcuz I am thinking that I cannot learn much in-depth knowledge during the undergraduate period. Although this major in UCL has not an extremely high ranking the world, it may be enough for undergraduates.

If you think there is something wrong with my idea, I welcome you to help me point it out, because I am only a high school student, and it is inevitable that some ideas will be not mature. Thanks!
Reply 12
Hi,Really thank you for your suggestion at first. I’m an international student from China. You have mentioned an important issue is the international reputation of the school. My current plan now is to go to US to study for a doctor's degree after finishing my undergraduate and master's degree in UK. Finally, I want to go back to China to work.I think a school that has a higher ranking is good for me to apply a better university to finish my Master degree and PHD.This is why I would like to choose to study in UCL. The most significant thing that makes me struggle now is how about the UCL EEE ? Is this major in UCL suitable for me to finish my undergraduate degree based on several situations i mentioned above? I want to know more information about whether its course has a high quality? Is the teacher responsible? Is the academic atmosphere good? ( Honestly, Anyway, my grades are not bad and I don't want to go to a place that is not suitable for studying)In addition, why I consider to study in UCL bcuz I am thinking that I cannot learn much in-depth knowledge during the undergraduate period. Although this major in UCL has not an extremely high ranking the world, it may be enough for undergraduates.

If you think there is something wrong with my idea, I welcome you to help me point it out, because I am only a high school student, and it is inevitable that some ideas will be not mature. Thanks!

To be perfectly honest, I still do not know why imperial rejected me before interviewing, my personal statement is not so bad, I did a project about deep learning when I was in AS year and made a electromagnetic damper in science fair when I was an IGCSE student.
To be perfectly honest, I still do not know why imperial rejected me before interviewing, my personal statement is not so bad, I did a project about deep learning when I was in AS year and made a electromagnetic damper in science fair when I was an IGCSE student.

What were your predicted grades and which subjects are you taking for A Level? It might also have been English Language requirements they'd have required before hand. Either way contact them and ask for feedback for your application.

Edit: I just scrolled up - I honestly can't figure out why other than your personal statement not being good enough, since you had the correct A Levels to meet the criteria
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 14
What were your predicted grades and which subjects are you taking for A Level? It might also have been English Language requirements they'd have required before hand. Either way contact them and ask for feedback for your application.

Edit: I just scrolled up - I honestly can't figure out why other than your personal statement not being good enough, since you had the correct A Levels to meet the criteria

My predicted grade is 4A* in math, further math , physics and chemistry. When I was in AS year CAIE test, I got 90 percent in physics, 87 percent in chemistry the whole AL math( including A2), I don’t have exact percentage in Further math because I start to learn it completely in this year.
Imperial told me because this year EEE is too competitive so they rejected me 🥲🥲
(edited 2 years ago)
What does IEP minor mean? Does it mean you get a degree in EEE and CS?
My predicted grade is 4A* in math, further math , physics and chemistry. When I was in AS year CAIE test, I got 90 percent in physics, 87 percent in chemistry the whole AL math( including A2), I don’t have exact percentage in Further math because I start to learn it completely in this year.
Imperial told me because this year EEE is too competitive so they rejected me 🥲🥲

Did you have to sit an entry test for EEE at Imperial?
Original post by Anonymous
Did you have to sit an entry test for EEE at Imperial?

No. They only interview, then decide. For 2020/21 entry, they interviewed around 800 of the applicants, about 50% of the total applications. I suspect that due to grade inflation last year, EEE has also been affected by a surge of applications, so they've probably gone off more on personal statement/references.
I suspect however that they might implement an entrance test for next year.
Reply 19
I suspect however that they might implement an entrance test for next year.

Hi,do you know some comments about UCL EEE? Could you tell me ? Thanks so much!
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending