The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hello again! Seems like we share a lot of subjects! :smile:

Ugh, the writing is getting me down! Particularly the listening essays - could be on ANYTHING (well, out of the 12 different topics or something). Have your teachers predicted what essay might come up this year? I was thinking either family relationships of some kind, health, or holidays of some kind...

Basically I'm now making essays for every single topic, and I'm gonna try and learn them for Tuesday. I know it's not what you're meant to do, but at this late stage, I'm up for serious cramming... :frown:

Directed Writing... hmm... okay, but sometime you get such a bizarre bullet point you don't even know what to do with it!!

Reading - my favourite part, translation - varies, listening - varies, but not such a huge step up from SG, it just gets a bit pressuring when you fall behind what they're saying because you're trying to scribble down notes!! :biggrin:

:biggrin:
EnsnareTheSenses

Ugh, the writing is getting me down! Particularly the listening essays - could be on ANYTHING (well, out of the 12 different topics or something). Have your teachers predicted what essay might come up this year? I was thinking either family relationships of some kind, health, or holidays of some kind...

:biggrin:

Hello :smile:

My teacher has predicted health and family as well, possibly free time/hobbies as well. Hopefully this will be a good year, especially for the listening. I wish they played it a third time :frown:

How did the speaking go for you both?

Good luck as well :smile:
Reply 3
EnsnareTheSenses

Basically I'm now making essays for every single topic, and I'm gonna try and learn them for Tuesday. I know it's not what you're meant to do, but at this late stage, I'm up for serious cramming... :frown:

Directed Writing... hmm... okay, but sometime you get such a bizarre bullet point you don't even know what to do with it!!

Reading - my favourite part, translation - varies, listening - varies, but not such a huge step up from SG, it just gets a bit pressuring when you fall behind what they're saying because you're trying to scribble down notes!! :biggrin:

Haha i know right, what subjects do you do?

My teacher thinks that it might be health this year, as it hasn't come up in a while. Yeah she also said not to learn essays, but the way it's going i will have to :frown:
Haha completely agree with you about the Listening! I scribble in the margin then miss the next point ahh!
I did Int 2 last year, and only got 10 / 20 :rolleyes: It has always been my weakest area. Still got an A overall :biggrin:

And mellowyellow, i got 20 / 25 for my speaking :smile:

Yourself?
Reply 4
yeah I'm not particularly looking forward to this exam either, not sure what to revise for the directed writing, as someone coming to stay here is a lot harder than us going to france. anyone any ideas on what they think it will be this year? my teacher wouldn't give us any hints cus she's scared she's wrong.....:rolleyes:
I never get any tips from my teachers on topics :frown:
I'm hoping that the listening essay will be similar to something I discussed in my speaking test. Then I could just write that out :smile: I still remember it word for word because I did so much practice before.
I'm comfortable with reading but I am dreading the listening!
I got 25/25 in my speaking. However, I will scream if the Directed Writing has people coming to stay with us instead of us going to France!!
sandracorbett
I got 25/25 in my speaking. However, I will scream if the Directed Writing has people coming to stay with us instead of us going to France!!

25/25! :eek3: Our teacher said he'd never give us that, purely because he'd be worried that the SQA might get suspicious...

He intimated to me that I got somewhere between 20-23, so that's still a good head start! :woo:

Am I right in saying that the 'A' boundary last year was 68? Hmm... with a good speaking grade you could still BOMB the writing, and scrape an A. It would be difficult, and I don't think anyone would get 0 in the Directed Writing - even 'J'ai pris l'avion' would get you some marks for a bullet point!

I'm doing Higher English (which I'm SOOOO glad is over!! :biggrin:), Higher French, Higher Maths, Higher Biology and Higher Computing. Woo... :o:

Has a family relationship listening essay EVER came up?

Here are a recent list:

2001 - Health (hasn't come up since then, a definite possibility)
2002 - Where you would like to live/future plans (comes up quite frequently)
2003 - Freedom vs. Rules (OMG what?!?!?! Thank goodness NOTHING like this has come up since!!)
2004 - Career and importance of foreign languages (again, comes up a lot)
2005 - Sports, and do young people do enough (Meh...)
2006 - Good school, future plans (Could possibly make a return)
2007 - Advantages/Disadvantages of a city, leave town in future (I don't really think town/country will come up this year.)
2008 - Part time job, advantages/disadvantages, spare time (Ugh, I'm glad this was only 2 years ago, unlikely to come up this year)
2009 - Good points/bad points of living in Scotland, importance of visiting other countries (again, town vs country is looking VERY unlikely to come up)

So where is Family Relationships? School Uniform? TV (is that even a full topic?!) Hmmm...
And hobbies/health deserve a good look at too!

If it's not one of these, then I am SCREWED!!! Still, the writing is only 25%, but there's always such a stigma about it... :/

Happy memorising!! :biggrin:
I got 25/25 and quite a few people in my class got the same. Does anyone else use the scholar website for help with revision? I find it quite useful because there are extra reading and listening exercises. I use it for maths too :smile:
frostedcupcakes
I got 25/25 and quite a few people in my class got the same. Does anyone else use the scholar website for help with revision? I find it quite useful because there are extra reading and listening exercises. I use it for maths too :smile:

I don't really use Scholar for French, or rarely Maths. I tend to use it for Biology - it was really helpful.

I have used some of the discussion boards for French and Maths though, which has been quite good.

Just realised that 2003's essay could be vaguely to do with Family Relationships... but it is likely to come up again.

Also, I don't think there's been an essay in a LONG time for Holidays, either with/without family/friends, or Ideal holidays.

Ideal holidays would be a nightmare. The whole thing would basically have to be in the conditional tense!!! 'Je voudrais' would be your saviour though...

Well I have an afternoon full of essay memorising, and Directed Writing phrase memorising ahead of me! :smile:

Woo... :woo:
Reply 10
Oooh Ensnare i do 4/5 subjects that you do, History instead of Computing :wink:
Reply 11
http://www.kingussiehigh.highland.sch.uk/ModernLanguages.htm
Go to this site and then scroll down to the higher bit.
Click on "Higher French Revision Vocabulary" and open the file. It'll ask you for a password to view it. Its hsf56.
Theres loads of great vocab there, hope this helps. :biggrin:

I posted this in a another thread a while back about sharing notes, but this is just incase you didn't see it :smile:

Happy revising :p:
Reply 12
I actually don't do French, but do Spanish. Was wondering what the best way of revising personal responses is? I'm fine with directed writing, have basically made a master copy covering pretty much every bullet point since the start of higher still.
jackwka
I actually don't do French, but do Spanish. Was wondering what the best way of revising personal responses is? I'm fine with directed writing, have basically made a master copy covering pretty much every bullet point since the start of higher still.

My teacher likes her 'sparkly phrases' so just stock up on 'Pienso que' 'Diria que' 'Es decir' 'En mi opinion' and opinion phrases I guess...Well, that's what i'll be doing :P

I'm not certain at all with Directed Writing, could you possibly give me a couple of phrases if Spanish students come to stay with us? I'm scared if that comes up!

Thanks!
matthew93
http://www.kingussiehigh.highland.sch.uk/ModernLanguages.htm
Go to this site and then scroll down to the higher bit.
Click on "Higher French Revision Vocabulary" and open the file. It'll ask you for a password to view it. Its hsf56.
Theres loads of great vocab there, hope this helps. :biggrin:

I posted this in a another thread a while back about sharing notes, but this is just incase you didn't see it :smile:

Happy revising :p:

This is amazing, thanks so much!
Reply 15
sandracorbett
My teacher likes her 'sparkly phrases' so just stock up on 'Pienso que' 'Diria que' 'Es decir' 'En mi opinion' and opinion phrases I guess...Well, that's what i'll be doing :P

I'm not certain at all with Directed Writing, could you possibly give me a couple of phrases if Spanish students come to stay with us? I'm scared if that comes up!

Thanks!

I don't think that has ever happened in an SQA exam(although I do believe there was a P&N paper that had one. Our teacher has pretty much guaranteed this wont happen.
Reply 16
jackwka
I don't think that has ever happened in an SQA exam(although I do believe there was a P&N paper that had one. Our teacher has pretty much guaranteed this wont happen.

really? My teacher and said there is every possibility.

Gahh! Conflicting views!
Future plans, family relationships, advantages of learning foreign languages were my teacher's picks, and she is an SQA marker-type person.
matthew93
Oooh Ensnare i do 4/5 subjects that you do, History instead of Computing :wink:

Wow, that's pretty close! Guess we'll be seeing a lot of each other pondering over these exams over the coming days!! :biggrin:

I really don't think the Directed Writing will be about people coming to stay, especially since last year loads of teachers moaned about the Directed Writing, and how it asked you things like: "Why you applied for the job." Although that may not seem too difficult to answer, in the pressure of an exam, a lot of people freaked out. I just really hope the DW follows a nice little template, e.g. who you went with, how you travelled, where you stayed, what it was like, what you did, what do you think of it now etc. That would be lovely! :smile:

I'm really trying to revise Family Relationships, Holidays and Health, because me and my teacher really get the feeling one of these will pop up. Bear in mind that if it is one of these topics, the listening will be related to this too... hmmm...

You don't suppose an essay on TV could ever come up, do you? :s-smilie:
Reply 18
An essay on TV? I really hope not :smile:

I think (hope) family/health/future plans, and that the directed writing isn't people visiting but ourselves travelling :smile:
Reply 19
An essay on TV? I really hope not :smile:

I think (hope) family/health/future plans, and that the directed writing isn't people visiting but ourselves travelling :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending