The Student Room Group

how achievable is it to get a law degree in scotland

i have my heart set but at what cost
Original post by Ivy.Anderson
i have my heart set but at what cost

Hey @Ivy.Anderson 🙂 Many students get their Law degrees every year from Scotland, so yes it is achievable 👏 Much like any degree - you'd be challenged and at times it will be hard but if it's what you have your heart set on then don't rule it out.

Is it the financial side of things you're mainly concerned about? Are you already based in Scotland or coming from further afield? What year are you in and when would you be applying to uni? 📚️

Caitlin 🎓️
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by University of Strathclyde

Hey @Ivy.Anderson 🙂 Many students get their Law degrees every year from Scotland, so yes it is achievable 👏 Much like any degree - you'd be challenged and at times it will be hard but if it's what you have your heart set on then don't rule it out.

Is it the financial side of things you're mainly concerned about? Are you already based in Scotland or coming from further afield? What year are you in and when would you be applying to uni? 📚️

Caitlin 🎓️

Hiya, I’m from scotland so the financial side of it i’m not worried about. I’m worried about not having the qualifications to get it and the challenge of doing it with a language. Strathclyde University is on my radar for law but i’m wondering how valuable you find it to have a national 5 art qualification and if you find it valuable to have experience shadowing. Thanks
Original post by Ivy.Anderson
Hiya, I’m from scotland so the financial side of it i’m not worried about. I’m worried about not having the qualifications to get it and the challenge of doing it with a language. Strathclyde University is on my radar for law but i’m wondering how valuable you find it to have a national 5 art qualification and if you find it valuable to have experience shadowing. Thanks

Hey @Ivy.Anderson 🙂 The main thing universities tend to look for at Nat 5 are Maths/English, and depending on the subject area sometimes Sciences (if not taken to Higher). For Law at Strathclyde the main requirement at Nat 5 level would be your Maths - normally we look for this at a B.

We focus on the Highers so the best thing to do is pick subjects at Nat 5 that will let you pick the right range of Highers. The right types of Higher subjects are your Higher English (needed at a B), and a range of others preferably with essay based subjects. Languages could fall under that umbrella, as well as things like History, Modern Studies etc. Law is quite competitive for entry, and at Strathclyde we tend to look for strong qualifications (i.e. AAAAB after S5) but try not to be overwhelmed by this - just do as well as you can in S5 and university staff and your teachers will be able to help you when it comes to applying.

If you get to shadow in a solictors office or similar that's great. Any form of work experience is good because it can also confirm that you definitely want to go down that path for a career. If you do work experience/shadow and you dislike it then that's ok - you know the degree isn't the right fit 🙂

Hope that helps a bit but drop me another message if I can help!

Caitlin 🎓️
Reply 4

Hey @Ivy.Anderson 🙂 The main thing universities tend to look for at Nat 5 are Maths/English, and depending on the subject area sometimes Sciences (if not taken to Higher). For Law at Strathclyde the main requirement at Nat 5 level would be your Maths - normally we look for this at a B.

We focus on the Highers so the best thing to do is pick subjects at Nat 5 that will let you pick the right range of Highers. The right types of Higher subjects are your Higher English (needed at a B), and a range of others preferably with essay based subjects. Languages could fall under that umbrella, as well as things like History, Modern Studies etc. Law is quite competitive for entry, and at Strathclyde we tend to look for strong qualifications (i.e. AAAAB after S5) but try not to be overwhelmed by this - just do as well as you can in S5 and university staff and your teachers will be able to help you when it comes to applying.

If you get to shadow in a solictors office or similar that's great. Any form of work experience is good because it can also confirm that you definitely want to go down that path for a career. If you do work experience/shadow and you dislike it then that's ok - you know the degree isn't the right fit 🙂

Caitlin 🎓️

Thanks so much answering my questions, it’s given me perspective into my future and truly helped me have another outlook on my academic career so far, Thanks.
Reply 5

Caitlin 🎓️

Sorry another wee quick question, How strong is strathclyde University law course and especially with a language like french? Is strathclyde the strongest uni for law and is it easier to get in with a language? Thanks again, Ivy 😊

Caitlin 🎓️

Hi I applied for Law LLB in December and I have heard people get offers but I am yet to hear back ? Do u know why this could be

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending