The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
jemrock
Did you guys use the conditional tense for the second essay?

Yeah I did, lots of je voudrais! I didn't think you could use future tbh, since it was an ideal holiday
Reply 81
reading, translation & directed writing were pretty good i thought. listening & writing were a bit iffy..

i'm worried now, did we need to use conditional? i used present tense for the most part! oh dear, how many marks off for the wrong tense? :\
Reply 82
anna0ox
reading, translation & directed writing were pretty good i thought. listening & writing were a bit iffy..

i'm worried now, did we need to use conditional? i used present tense for the most part! oh dear, how many marks off for the wrong tense? :\

I don't think there's like a 'set' tense you need to use, as long as what you used made sense in the context :smile:
Reply 83
Reading & Translation was alright
Directed Writing was okay but i ran out of time :|
Listening the invigilator & the person in front of me kept coughing, i'm absolute fuming, cause i couldn't hear loads of it :frown: :angry:
Short Writing bloody holidays, i was so hoping it would be health or school.

Pfft. Will probably scrape a C. Cheerio law at edinburgh
Reply 84
Polpettina
I don't think there's like a 'set' tense you need to use, as long as what you used made sense in the context :smile:

Thanks! i think i made sense.. mostly anyway. oh well, if not then speaking & paper 1 will hopefully get me a pass :smile:
Reply 85
Lol, well I'd never done the conditional...so not a lot of choice really!
Reply 86
Is there any people that sat Higher French in previous years that though it went terrible / bad. and came out with an A or B?
I got a B in the prelim, but thought today was a mess.

I'm hoping for some optomistic answers to boost my low spirits at the moment. :/
Reply 87
I thought it went quite well. The listening there were a couple of questions that I didn't make out the answers for, particularly the first answer about why she doesn't like going on holiday with her dad but the CD jammed right at the last question on the second playing. The directed writing seemed really general which was pretty good, and the reading and translation seemed to go well. I'm not sure how good my personal response was though, I was hoping for a question on holidays, but I didn't particularly like the one we were given! One of the people in my class started crying because they thought they'd done it in the wrong tense for it,but really it doesn't matter which tense you use as long as you answer the question, does it? I hope you all get the marks you want/ need! Good Luck! :smile:
Reply 88
Does anyone know if it's possible to pass the directed writing if you have covered all the bullet points quite well but have under 150 words? I ran out of time and could only manage to put a couple of good answers for each point. Thanks :smile:
Reply 89
I did the entire short essay in the conditional tense with a few bits in present...not sure how you could use the future tense for it? =\

Translation seemed really easy, which was weird!
Reply 90
I thought it was pretty fair today! I was not expecting that response to listening! But once i got into it all the stuff from the speaking came back to me! The translation was fab and the directed writing and the reading were both pretty good. Thought the listening was really good aswell! So overall pretty happy and im crashing French this year so im pleased!
tm93
Does anyone know if it's possible to pass the directed writing if you have covered all the bullet points quite well but have under 150 words? I ran out of time and could only manage to put a couple of good answers for each point. Thanks :smile:

Of course, quality over quantity! If your tenses are correct, you'll pass :smile:

*What did you guys get for the question in the Listening about why she doesn't like her dad going with her? My answers seemed really weird and/or made up:
He always wants to get up early, he hates going to the beach, he always wants to take photos (???) I'm not expecting anything for that!!
Reply 92
sandracorbett
Of course, quality over quantity! If your tenses are correct, you'll pass :smile:

*What did you guys get for the question in the Listening about why she doesn't like her dad going with her? My answers seemed really weird and/or made up:
He always wants to get up early, he hates going to the beach, he always wants to take photos (???) I'm not expecting anything for that!!

Same really -

- He always gets up early.
- He finds it fun to take lots of photos.
- He hates going to the beach.

Wasn't sure about the beach one though!
eilidhx
Same really -

- He always gets up early.
- He finds it fun to take lots of photos.
- He hates going to the beach.

Wasn't sure about the beach one though!

:woo: thanks very much!
Reply 94
Yeh i got he likes to get up early every day, likes taking pictures, likes going to visit sites and attractions and hates going to the beach i think!
Reply 95
sandracorbett

I didn't use the future/conditional tense for the short essay!
I just wrote in the present tense e.g J'aime aller à des grandes villes...
I thought that everything was fair, and I loved the DW :smile:
Reply 97
I found the exam really good - The Reading was average with a very fair translation, the directed writing was great because as someone else said, it was kind of generic. The listening seemed certainly easier than usual and the short essay was perfect for me as our class specifically revised a "mes vacances idéales" essay! I used mostly conditional tense.
I think the DW was the best one they've ever given out!
Reply 99
Did any one else find the Translation scarily easy?

Ohhh I made such a stupid mistake. I wrote my answers to the Listening on the lined paper booklet instead of the pink question paper.
:eek3:
I guess that's 0/20 for that Listening. What a blonde moment!
:stupid:

Latest

Trending

Trending