The Student Room Group

Some vector questions

Hi,

I have here 3 vector questions for which I don't seem to be getting the right answers - either that or the answers in the back of the book are wrong! (*) But lots of you guys are way ahead of me, so I thought I'd unload them here:

1. If p = 2i + 3j, q = 4i - 5j and r = i - 4j, find a set of numbers f,g, and h such that fp + gr + hr = 0. Illustrate your answers geometrically. Give a reason why there is more than one possible answer to this question.

2. Four points A, B, C, and D with position vectors a, b, c, and d are vertices of a tetrahedron. The mid-points of BC, CA, AB, AD, BD, CD are denoted by P, Q, R, U, V, W. Fnid the position vector of the mid-points of PU, QV and RW. State your conclusion as a geometrical theorem.

3. Give the point of intersection of AB and CD. [ A(3,2,4), B(-3,-7,-8), C(0,1,3), D(-2,5,9) ]. (The book has it as (-7, -5, -4) - I just don't seem to get these coodinates.)

If anyone would like the mental exercise, I would appreciate a look at your solution to one or two of the above.

Cheers!

(*) Incidentally, does anyone know of a good P1 - 3 or higher workbook/textbook that does give some hints in the answers section, instead of a final figure answer?
Reply 1
I'll assume you mean fp+gq+hr=0.
f(2i+3j)+g(4i-5j)+h(i-4j)=0
i(2f+4g+h)+j(3f-5g-4h)=0
Thus (1)2f+4g+h=0 and (2)3f-5g-4h=0
That is, 8f+16g+4h=0 and 3f-5g-4h=0
Adding we get: 11f+11g=0 > g=-f.
Putting this into equation 1 we get: 2f-4f+h=0 > h=2f and putting this into equation 2 we get 3f-5(-f)-4h=0 > 8f=4h > h=2f
Thus we know that h=2f=-2g.
Thus the set of numbers (f,g,h) belong to the set fR,(f,g,h)=(f,f,2f)f \in R, (f,g,h)=(f,-f,2f)
As for the geometric meaning, possibly: if you move along scalar multiplies f,g,h of the vectors p,q,r respectively then the total displacement is zero.
Clearly there will be more than one answer because you could move along each vector twice (giving the scalar multiple double to what it was before) and you'd still arrive back where you started.

2. Four points A, B, C, and D with position vectors a, b, c, and d are vertices of a tetrahedron. The mid-points of BC, CA, AB, AD, BD, CD are denoted by P, Q, R, U, V, W. Fnid the position vector of the mid-points of PU, QV and RW. State your conclusion as a geometrical theorem.
Clearly the midpoints of BC, CA, AB, AD, BD, CD are P=0.5(b+c), Q=0.5(a+c), R=0.5(a+b), U=0.5(a+d), V=0.5(b+d) and W=0.5(c+d) respectively.
Its then easy to find the mid points of PU, QV and RW respectively; for example, the midpoint of PU is 0.5[0.5(b+c)+0.5(a+d)].
I expect that the position vectors of the mid points of PU, QV and RW will satisfy some relation which is where you can get your geometrical meaning from.

A(3,2,4), B(-3,-7,-8), C(0,1,3), D(-2,5,9)
The line AB has equation r=3i+2j+4k+s(2i+3j+4k)=i(3+2s)+j(2+3s)+k(4+4s)
The line CD has equation r=0i+j+3k+t(-i+2j+3k)=i(0-t)+j(1+2t)+k(3+3t)
Hence when they intersect we have:
-t=3+2s > t=-3-2s
2+3s=1+2t > 1+3s=2(-3-2s) > 1+3s=-6-4s > 7s=-7 > s=-1 > t=-1
Checking the k coefficients we see 4+4s=3+3t is satisfied.
Hence the lines intersect at s=-1, t=-1 and the point of intersection is (1,-1,0)
Reply 2
Gaz031
i(2f+4g+h)+j(3f-5g-4h)=0
Putting this into equation 1 we get: 2f-4f+h=0 > h=2f and putting this into equation 2 we get 3f-5(-f)-4h=0 > 8f=4h > h=2f
Thus the set of numbers (f,g,h) belong to the set fR,(f,g,h)=(f,f,2f)f \in R, (f,g,h)=(f,-f,2f)
As for the geometric meaning, possibly: if you move along scalar multiplies f,g,h of the vectors p,q,r respectively then the total displacement is zero.
Clearly there will be more than one answer because you could move along each vector twice (giving the scalar multiple double to what it was before) and you'd still arrive back where you started.

Clearly the midpoints of BC, CA, AB, AD, BD, CD are P=0.5(b+c), Q=0.5(a+c), R=0.5(a+b), U=0.5(a+d), V=0.5(b+d) and W=0.5(c+d) respectively.
Its then easy to find the mid points of PU, QV and RW respectively; for example, the midpoint of PU is 0.5[0.5(b+c)+0.5(a+d)].
I expect that the position vectors of the mid points of PU, QV and RW will satisfy some relation which is where you can get your geometrical meaning from.

-t=3+2s > t=-3-2s
Hence the lines intersect at s=-1, t=-1 and the point of intersection is (1,-1,0)

Damn, you always get there first! :p:
Reply 3
Damn, you always get there first!

Sorry - after 16 hours I thought it was fair game though :cool:
If you had a solution half typed then still post it - sometimes people find it useful to see two slightly different points of view on something.
Reply 4
Gaz031
Sorry - after 16 hours I thought it was fair game though :cool:
If you had a solution half typed then still post it - sometimes people find it useful to see two slightly different points of view on something.

No, I cant pick fault with your answer anyway, and my answer would have been exactly the same. No worries, us mathematicians are here for the greater good of the world :biggrin:
Reply 5
Gaz031
i(2f+4g+h)+j(3f-5g-4h)=0

-t=3+2s > t=-3-2s

Thank you, Gaz031.

Regarding question 3, the answer I came up with (again and again) was the same as yours - but the book has (-7,-5,-4). Hmmm.

Latest