The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Really hope token economies come up, it's the only treatment that I know well. :frown:
hoping electroconvulsive therapy doesnt come up, as it came up in the spec, so did nature/nurture debate.

also what i really want to come is contributions to scoiety, primary/secondary data and key studies
skotch
But Goldstein found the DSM to be reliable, when comparing diagnoses from the DSM-III and DSM-II. 169 people were diagnosed with schiz according to DSM-III out of 190 originally diagnosed using DSM-II, there was a high correlation (0.80) between Goldstein's diagnoses and that of the 2 expert interviewers.

Rosenhan definitely shows the unreliability of the DSM.

This is something I wrote up last night.. Hope it helps, and mind the mistakes lol =]

In relation to reliability, this is where the symptoms of a particular individual would lead to a common diagnosis from various different doctors/psychiatrist; this is known as inter rater-reliabilty. Though if this is not the case and the same diagnosis is not consistent within the doctors then this would be regarded as unreliable, and could be detrimental to the patient as it could lead to giving the wrong treatment to the patient. Test-rater reliabilty refers to doctor diagnosing a patient 2 or more times over a period of time, to see whther the same diagnosis is given. cooper et al showed that new york psychiatrists were more likely to diagnose patients as schizo than psychiatrists from london who were twice as like to diagnose with anxiety/depression, when shown the same filmed tape of clinicians interviewing real patients. Potential critisizms of this thought could be subjectivity from the reasearchers and the DSm at tht time may have been outdated.This therefore also shows a lack of population validity as DSM's meaning varies from culture to culture, which also represents a flaw in reliability. Reasons as to why psychiatrists may arrive at different diagnosis' could be due to the fact that some may look at the situation differently taking into account individual differences which may result to biasness. Also due to the nature of teh illness, the patient may visit one doctor in a particular state and another with different feelings.

Rosenhan showed the lack of validity within DSM
why might psychodynamic therapies pose ethical issues, regarding social control.
Reply 204
not a clue :frown:
good luck peoples
Da_hopeful_1
afternoon loz =]

what time will you be closing this thread tomorrow Loz ?

I'll close it at about 1pm. Or get someone else to do it if I'm out.
Reply 206
Da_hopeful_1
why might psychodynamic therapies pose ethical issues, regarding social control.

In psychodynamic therapies the patient is required to release unconscious wishes/desires that may be distressing (they were held in the unconscious for a reason, surely!). Erm... also, as psychodynamic therapies involve interpretation by the therapist, the therapist is therefore in total control of the the patient's analysis including the methods used and the outcome.

Sorry, that's all I can think of!
Thank ******* god exams are over
how did you lot find it
Better than the rest of my exams...
though that plan experiment question was a bitch :s-smilie: how about you?
Reply 210
i didnt know the last question was 18 marks so didnt leave myself enough time for it. ****** it up big time! 18 marks ffs! :frown: but never mind just dreading resuts now :frown:
nk124
i didnt know the last question was 18 marks so didnt leave myself enough time for it. ****** it up big time! 18 marks ffs! :frown: but never mind just dreading resuts now :frown:

Almost ran out of time for that one aswell :s-smilie: :s-smilie:
theres not an awful lot of discussion about this exam :frown:
Da_hopeful_1
theres not an awful lot of discussion about this exam :frown:

its cus I've been on summer so have had less interest in sitting on TSR discussing exams :p: But yeah it went pretty well I thought, I'm not sure I got 12 marks for the question about planning your own experiment and I'm not sure I got 18 marks for the last question, but overall I got in a bit of a panic over this exam over something which wasn't too bad at all

Latest

Trending

Trending