The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
If you cant hack A levels do you really think you can hack a really hard medicine course which is known for sucking the life out of you?
Reply 381
Annora
Homeopathy work experience? Are you joking? I don't think anyone in admissions will take you seriously!

why is that.. coz the person in charge of UNI's at my college said that it will be quiet good if I get both normal medicine work exp. and homoeopathic work experience because that way I will be able to compare both of them .......
Reply 382
Lolicon
If you cant hack A levels do you really think you can hack a really hard medicine course which is known for sucking the life out of you?

I hope so but then again i have legitimate reasons for not getting the best A-level grades
Reply 383
evilzadi
best to call them up and ask cos you dont want to be wasting a choice in ur ucas 5

yeah i think ill do that next week just to be on the safe side :smile:
Reply 384
Fusilero
It depends, I called up Peninsula and they said they gave +10 UCAS points for actual grades over predicted grades. :s-smilie:

:s-smilie: what exactly does that mean?
YasirE
:s-smilie: what exactly does that mean?
Basically, they call you for interview by ranking everyone by UCAS points and the top 700 get interviewed. If you have cashed in your grades and achieved them you get +10 UCAS points.

For example, someone has predicted AAAb gets 410 UCAS pts (120 for an A at A2, 50 for a b at AS).

If someone has achieved AAAb they will get 410 UCAS pts (120 for an A at A2, 50 for an b at AS) but will get +10 for the merit of having acheived it so they are ranked with 420 points and so be ahead of the predicted person. :yep:

That's just one medical school, so be sure to check the different requirements. :yep:
Reply 386
YasirE
yeah i think ill do that next week just to be on the safe side :smile:

let me know what they say, i dont think i'm gonna be getting AAA, right now medicine seems a little out of reach

what kind of work experience have you got
Reply 387
Fusilero
Basically, they call you for interview by ranking everyone by UCAS points and the top 700 get interviewed. If you have cashed in your grades and achieved them you get +10 UCAS points.

For example, someone has predicted AAAb gets 410 UCAS pts (120 for an A at A2, 50 for a b at AS).

If someone has achieved AAAb they will get 410 UCAS pts (120 for an A at A2, 50 for an b at AS) but will get +10 for the merit of having acheived it so they are ranked with 420 points and so be ahead of the predicted person. :yep:

That's just one medical school, so be sure to check the different requirements. :yep:

Aha, I see, that makes sense, are peninsula still offering AAB offers?
Reply 388
evilzadi
let me know what they say, i dont think i'm gonna be getting AAA, right now medicine seems a little out of reach

what kind of work experience have you got

yeah sure thing, and i get you totally hehe.
Ermm not alot tbh, shadowed my GP for about 1 month, did some work experience at the local Hospital, Been working with oxfam for a year, helped set up a youth group in my local town, going to do some work at an old peoples home over the summer holidays and then got some work lined up with the World Food Programme in Sudan which i will be doing during my gap year.

and yourself?
Reply 389
Glasgow offers at AAB.
YasirE
Aha, I see, that makes sense, are peninsula still offering AAB offers?

It's 420 points, which can be achieved with AS-levels as well so it depends what you got on your three AS-subjects you didn't take forward. Which should be easy, really. I believe you need 360 UCAS points in your A2s which should easily be AAB

EDIT: Just checked, it's changed this year. AAA now. Sorry :frown:
Reply 391
greenford
why is that.. coz the person in charge of UNI's at my college said that it will be quiet good if I get both normal medicine work exp. and homoeopathic work experience because that way I will be able to compare both of them .......

I see. I'm skeptical. But as long as you don't talk to your interviewer about the benefits of homeopathy :teehee:
I'm 21, and I've been considering going into Medicine for a long time. I have no idea when exactly I started, but I've never been one hundred percent sure, and Medicine really seems like the kind of thing you have to KNOW you want, because of all you have to put into it to come out on top.

I have no qualifications since GCSE, I went for a Multimedia BTEC National Diploma right out of school but dropped out in year 2 because of depression (Stupid, I know, but when you're depressed you really don't care. :/ ) and suffering with that, I tried to go back the next year on a music course but I couldn't face going back so I dropped out again and took a year off to deal with the depression (which I have done), I'm now in my 5th year after school and am on a course dealing with 3D design and things along those lines, which is fun and I definitely enjoy it... but literally every time I hear anyone talking about being a Doctor, or basically anything reminds me of it, I feel a horrible sense of regret not going for the A levels then to Uni for Medicine. It also feels like the skills I'm learning on the 3D course would be easy enough to learn at home as a hobby, if I did end up deciding that Medicine is actually not for me after all, and wanting to take that into the professional domain eventually.

My question is, would it harm me too much if I were to drop out of this course now and apply for the appropriate A levels, provided that I explain the circumstances for me having dropped out? It feels like I have a fairly valid reason for dropping out of my first two, and dropping out of this one is purely because I feel like it's the wrong choice and that I'd like to move onto something else... but it still doesn't stop me feeling like the last 5 years have amounted to absolutely nothing in terms of anything that will further my education or career, and a College/University would look at it and go "No. Not a chance."

Would it pay off more to finish this course and then perhaps decide to try for A levels and then University, to show that I'm over the problems that caused me to drop courses in the past and I do have the dedication to stick with something to the end? That's my main concern, being seen as someone who will drop out at the slightest work, which obviously would not look good for an applicant going for Medicine.

Thanks in advance guys.
Reply 393
How far are you from finishing the course?
I've just finished my first year, as of this week. I go back in September and will finish completely in June next year.
Reply 395
YasirE
yeah sure thing, and i get you totally hehe.
Ermm not alot tbh, shadowed my GP for about 1 month, did some work experience at the local Hospital, Been working with oxfam for a year, helped set up a youth group in my local town, going to do some work at an old peoples home over the summer holidays and then got some work lined up with the World Food Programme in Sudan which i will be doing during my gap year.

and yourself?

wow :eek: and you don't think that's a lot. all i have done is volunteering at the hospital for 3 hours on saturdays since sep 09. how did you get WE with your GP
Reply 396
Fusilero
It's 420 points, which can be achieved with AS-levels as well so it depends what you got on your three AS-subjects you didn't take forward. Which should be easy, really. I believe you need 360 UCAS points in your A2s which should easily be AAB

EDIT: Just checked, it's changed this year. AAA now. Sorry :frown:

Ah that sucks, I guess ill have to take up an A2 during my gap year and try to get that up to an A, because my options seem quite limited.
and i got A in economics and B in Physics. I think ill do the A2 for economics and sit the exam in june.
Reply 397
evilzadi
wow :eek: and you don't think that's a lot. all i have done is volunteering at the hospital for 3 hours on saturdays since sep 09. how did you get WE with your GP

Oo sounds good :smile: , ermm just asked them whether they would mind me coming in for a couple of hours per week and observing the work stuff, they agreed.
Annora
Homeopathy work experience? Are you joking? I don't think anyone in admissions will take you seriously!

We should never underestimate the power of the placebo effect.
Reply 399
DoctorWhen
I've just finished my first year, as of this week. I go back in September and will finish completely in June next year.

Seems like it's worth sticking it out then. It's another thing to add on your application at least. There's no rush.

Latest

Trending

Trending