The Student Room Group
Original post by BethaneyJ
Southampton for example, don't look at AS grades just predicted so if you can get your predicted grades as AAA then you'll be fine. There are a few uni's' like this. Also there are other courses for example BM6 that if eligible you'll only need BBC at A level (varies between courses).

In short: You're fine. :smile:

Thanks so much for the speedy response, this is probably the first reassuring message I've received amidst the panic :biggrin:
Will I need to show or tell my teacher anything when they predict me, as in some proof that I will work hard, or are they on my side during the University process?
Do the Gap year and look at other degree courses and find ones you'd like to do, although you'll likely be limited to courses which give BBB offers as that's likely the highest you will be predicted.
Southampton for example, don't look at AS grades just predicted so if you can get your predicted grades as AAA then you'll be fine. There are a few uni's' like this. Also there are other courses for example BM6 that if eligible you'll only need BBC at A level (varies between courses).

Could you please tell me which other universities don't look at AS grades? It would help most people in a similar kind of situation...
Original post by Junaid96
You can still go abroad, Romania or somewhere for a medical degree which counts here too. I know someone who went to Prague to do medicine with very low entry requirements, and she's now a GP.

Thanks for the quick response!

I've always secretly wanted to study abroad. There's a Student World Fair I signed up to which gives out information like this (I think). Is the process of signing up to a University abroad very difficult? It seems like there would be a lot involved, and it's quite intimidating
Original post by Avaricious
Thanks for the quick response!

I've always secretly wanted to study abroad. There's a Student World Fair I signed up to which gives out information like this (I think). Is the process of signing up to a University abroad very difficult? It seems like there would be a lot involved, and it's quite intimidating

I doubt it - other than logistics and stuff, it's not hard to get in abroad (as a result there are lots of dropouts, so be sure that you can cope, but I know someone who got something like C/Ds at A-level and is in his 3rd year I believe).
Original post by Helloworld_95
Do the Gap year and look at other degree courses and find ones you'd like to do, although you'll likely be limited to courses which give BBB offers as that's likely the highest you will be predicted.

Thanks for responding! Are there any particular examples of courses I would be able to apply to?

Also if you do manage to get a AAA or A*AA prediction from your teachers is there still hope?, some people say even then, you won't stand a chance against the competition in medicine...

I'm not really trying to discourage anyone either...I'm asking because I can happily be predicted an A*A but I got a C in chemistry at AS but I knew I could have got an A and I think my teacher would be happy to predict an A at A2 however some of my other teachers are saying medicine still won't accept you....
it doesn't matter if med schools look at your as grades or not its what your predicted that matters and if you not predicted AAA then dont bother applying as there will be 100's of other people predicted AAA just wait until you have your A2 results next year and if you get AAA then have a gap year and get some volunteering and work experience in there also (this is NEEDED)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine
Have you considered biomedicine?
Original post by Junaid96
I doubt it - other than logistics and stuff, it's not hard to get in abroad (as a result there are lots of dropouts, so be sure that you can cope, but I know someone who got something like C/Ds at A-level and is in his 3rd year I believe).

Thanks for informing me about this path, it's definitely something I really should consider. Is there a list of any frequent countries that people would usually study Medicine in with such grades?
Original post by madmadmax321
it doesn't matter if med schools look at your as grades or not its what your predicted that matters and if you not predicted AAA then dont bother applying as there will be 100's of other people predicted AAA just wait until you have your A2 results next year and if you get AAA then have a gap year and get some volunteering and work experience in there also (this is NEEDED)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

Thanks, I'm glad the gap year option is somewhat stable in terms of offering me a chance to study Medicine at Uni. In terms of Work Experience and Volunteering, it's definitely a necessity
Reply 9951

is this for all their courses? they dont look at AS grades?
Reply 9952
I hope I am posting this in the right place.

I applied for foundation medicine last year, but didn't get in because I did not get good enough predicted grades.

After resitting a few AS modules in my A2 year, my final grades are:

Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Maths - A*
AS Citizenship - C
AS Physics - E

GCSEs: A*A*A*AAAABBCC (but one of the A*s and one of the As is from ICT)

Can I get in?

Idk which schools to apply to.

I guess Keele would have to be one. I would really like to study in London or Leicester.

HELP ME!
Thanks for responding! Are there any particular examples of courses I would be able to apply to?

Generally people apply to a biology or chemistry related course, you just need to find something that you'd enjoy.

Personally my 5th choice will be Material Sciences with Nuclear Engineering at Sheffield because looking over the subject I find it interesting plus I could choose to go into many areas which are involved in ground breaking research and it has great graduate prospects.
Original post by a10

I only know about Medicine I am afraid :smile:

Original post by Helpfulstudent
Also if you do manage to get a AAA or A*AA prediction from your teachers is there still hope?, some people say even then, you won't stand a chance against the competition in medicine...

I'm not really trying to discourage anyone either...I'm asking because I can happily be predicted an A*A but I got a C in chemistry at AS but I knew I could have got an A and I think my teacher would be happy to predict an A at A2 however some of my other teachers are saying medicine still won't accept you....

Yes of course. If the uni doesn't look at your AS they won't know that you're not the same as the others :P I had BBCC at AS and was on the Southampton waiting list for an offer (AAB at the time).

Your teachers are mistaken.

Original post by Helpfulstudent
Could you please tell me which other universities don't look at AS grades? It would help most people in a similar kind of situation...

I'm not sure, if you look in the giant "Ultimate am I good enough for medicine angst" thread then this is discussed a lot and there should be answers there. Though I imagine this thread will be moved there anyway :smile:

Thanks so much for the speedy response, this is probably the first reassuring message I've received amidst the panic :biggrin:
Will I need to show or tell my teacher anything when they predict me, as in some proof that I will work hard, or are they on my side during the University process?

Depends on the teacher. At my college I just asked for the grades and with a bit of persuasion and some promises they gave them to me. It's up to your teachers! But yes, don't let anyone tell you it's over. It's far from it. You're still in the race!!!!
I only know about Medicine I am afraid :smile:
Depends on the teacher. At my college I just asked for the grades and with a bit of persuasion and some promises they gave them to me. It's up to your teachers! But yes, don't let anyone tell you it's over. It's far from it. You're still in the race!!!!

It's the final sprint for me haha.
Thanks for informing me about this path, it's definitely something I really should consider. Is there a list of any frequent countries that people would usually study Medicine in with such grades?

I don't know anything about it I'm afraid, but I know three people, one who has been to Prague, the other who is at Prague, and the other who is applying there - it seems Prague is okay :smile:
you know when people make threads that should really be put in this thread or other megathreads, do you click the 'report' button to alert a mod to move it?

i saw this somewhere on a thread once, but i dont want to do it in case i get told off :redface:
Reply 9958
Original post by jess_m94
you know when people make threads that should really be put in this thread or other megathreads, do you click the 'report' button to alert a mod to move it?

i saw this somewhere on a thread once, but i dont want to do it in case i get told off :redface:

yep that's the right thing to do so don't worry about being told off.
Original post by a10

Lol no. They definitely look at AS grades for other courses - I'm shocked they don't (according to this thread) look at them for medicine.

Latest

Trending

Trending