The Student Room Group

Physics Degree and Then Job - Any Advice?

Hi guys,

I'm seriously considering doing a Physics degree next summer, and understand that there is obviously a large step (mathematically) from A2 -> Degree level,

Does anyone have any advice on how to find (potential) jobs for after Uni and what sort of jobs can I go into with a Physics degree? And how high is the ceiling pay wise with a Physics degree?

Finally does anyone know of where I can find bursaries for a Physics course?

All advice greatly appreciated,

James
Reply 1
If you have done further maths the step isn't too bad, and it does depend where you do it, some courses are more mathematically rigorous than others but don't worry you are taught all the maths you will need, most of the A-level course is recapped in the 1st term.

As for job prospects physics is pretty highly valued as it gives you good problem solving skills etc etc, its a good degree to have if you are looking at jobs without a specific degree requirement. As for pay it will of course depend where you end up, research, teaching or something more general, i wouldn't worry about it too much.

I don't know of any organisations offering bursaries other than the RAF (but you do have to join so thats a slight downside) but talk to the individual unis as they will very often have them.
Re: what jobs you could get.. I mean, do you want to work in Physics, or do you just enjoy it academically? My other half took a Physics degree because he found it really interesting, but is going on to post-grad Medicine next year. There are plenty of other science-orientated postgrad courses you could take in order to get a job if you figured that things were too tough/you were no longer interested in working in Physics after your degree.

Re: bursaries - all universities are required by law to give bursaries to the poorest students, just so you know. I think the minimum they're obliged to give you is £300 (that's if you qualify for the maximum maintenance loan) but many universities give a lot more - for example, by the time I graduate, my uni will have given me over £10,000 in bursaries. Have a look at the websites of universities you're interested in; there will be information on income-based bursaries (like mine) and subject-specific ones there.

Latest

Trending

Trending