The Student Room Group

Uni or Job

I put Lancaster as my firm choice and also got a job as a cargo agent - clerical at British Airways, I am stuck on what to choose, anyone can give me an advice? I still can't choose, thinking if I go uni then I will waste few year of my life there, but if I choose the Job then I won't have any studies with me plus I won't have more job opportunities, btw I chose Computer Science, they both start in October. the salary for the job is 25k.
(edited 1 year ago)
I've just graduated uni - honestly I recommend taking the job. I have 4 years of debt and am just starting a 28k job. a 25k job straight out of school with no debt in a respected company is really decent. if you do it for a year or two and regret not going to uni you can always go then, but if you go to uni now you'll commit yourself to that debt. unless you know you really want to study a degree, my advice would be to take the job, though maybe do some more research about what progression opportunities you'll have for promotion and pay increases.
Original post by Esingh-2001
I put Lancaster as my firm choice and also got a job as a cargo agent - clerical at British Airways, I am stuck on what to choose, anyone can give me an advice? I still can't choose, thinking if I go uni then I will waste few year of my life there, but if I choose the Job then I won't have any studies with me plus I won't have more job opportunities, btw I chose Computer Science, they both start in October. the salary for the job is 25k.

Depends what you want to do in the future/after uni. If you choose Comp Sci at uni, you’ll most certainly find a job especially since tech jobs are always available. With a Comp Sci degree, especially if you do well, you can find a job that is remote and work from home which is a luxury not everyone can afford. Plus then you’d be able to live anywhere and certain places other than London, rent is cheaper. Also, with a job in tech you can end up earning a lot of money as you progress up, which may not be possible for your current job offer (I’d check what the salary range is for both).

On the other hand, I know people who have done a Comp Sci degree and now work in tech and have said most of the things they’ve learnt at uni aren’t needed for their jobs but still admit that uni gave them a better chance at getting the jobs. If you’d prefer money, I’d go for the job. Maybe contact the company and ask what the development prospects are, whether you can make your way up to a better position, what training they offer etc.

Seeing as you chose Comp Sci at uni, you must have some interest in it and so I’m assuming you’re interested in a tech job after too. Personally I’d choose uni, but I’m biased as I’ve already gone to uni, but if you view uni as a waste of a few years then maybe you should choose the job. Good luck!
I don't really care about debts because I won't be taking any loans, I am thinking about the future.
Original post by CambPhilosophy
I've just graduated uni - honestly I recommend taking the job. I have 4 years of debt and am just starting a 28k job. a 25k job straight out of school with no debt in a respected company is really decent. if you do it for a year or two and regret not going to uni you can always go then, but if you go to uni now you'll commit yourself to that debt. unless you know you really want to study a degree, my advice would be to take the job, though maybe do some more research about what progression opportunities you'll have for promotion and pay increases.
I am thinking to go uni because loans won't be a problem for me as I won't be getting them, it's just about the future, if I go for the job then there's a little chance of me getting promoted as people that work for the same position been working for a lot of years, or I could work for a year then do an apprenticeship with them? something like that but it is not guaranteed, if I go uni after 4 years with masters (If I do good in those years) I will have more job opportunities, I don't need the money for now just got to think about my future.
Original post by User367139488
Depends what you want to do in the future/after uni. If you choose Comp Sci at uni, you’ll most certainly find a job especially since tech jobs are always available. With a Comp Sci degree, especially if you do well, you can find a job that is remote and work from home which is a luxury not everyone can afford. Plus then you’d be able to live anywhere and certain places other than London, rent is cheaper. Also, with a job in tech you can end up earning a lot of money as you progress up, which may not be possible for your current job offer (I’d check what the salary range is for both).

On the other hand, I know people who have done a Comp Sci degree and now work in tech and have said most of the things they’ve learnt at uni aren’t needed for their jobs but still admit that uni gave them a better chance at getting the jobs. If you’d prefer money, I’d go for the job. Maybe contact the company and ask what the development prospects are, whether you can make your way up to a better position, what training they offer etc.

Seeing as you chose Comp Sci at uni, you must have some interest in it and so I’m assuming you’re interested in a tech job after too. Personally I’d choose uni, but I’m biased as I’ve already gone to uni, but if you view uni as a waste of a few years then maybe you should choose the job. Good luck!
I don't really care about debts because I won't be taking any loans, I am thinking about the future.

lol if you're well off enough not to take any loans out I don't think you're going to need to worry about your future
I mean my parents will help me with the fees but not forever hahaha
Original post by CambPhilosophy
lol if you're well off enough not to take any loans out I don't think you're going to need to worry about your future

Hi @Esingh-2001!

It's great that you've got these options ahead of you, both are exciting and each with their own benefits and negatives. I think really it comes down what you would be happiest doing? One of the other replies mentioned the debt that comes with doing a degree, but you don't start paying that back until you earn above a certain amount after graduating, and after long period of time will be cancelled, so though it's important to note, there are also things in place to make it manageable and less of a short term concern.

Meanwhile, with the job there is obviously some security there in that it's a job right now, there isn't the uncertainty of still not knowing what will be there when you graduate. But at the same time, it may not be a job and industry that is 100% in line with your interests. You mention your degree would be in Computer Science, so I imagine that would be your preferred career path/sector to be working in, in the long term? The tech sector is always looking for new people, so long term a Computer Science degree would have a lot of career prospects with huge transferrable skills that you can apply to other industries as well, such as in Media, Marketing, Education, Civil Service amongst many others.

So with those things in mind, that's why I think it comes down to what would you enjoy doing most - would you enjoy studying a degree in a subject that I presume you enjoy with lots of crossover potential for career prospects, or would you be happier with a job now that may not be what you want to do long term?

I hope this helps, I realise this isn't advice that's particularly specific, but I hope it at least helps you weigh up your options in a way that does make that decision a bit easier.

If you have any other questions feel free to let me know and ask away! :smile:

Tom,
University of Chichester Student Rep and Alumni
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ChichesterStuRep
Hi @Esingh-2001!

It's great that you've got these options ahead of you, both are exciting and each with their own benefits and negatives. I think really it comes down what you would be happiest doing? One of the other replies mentioned the debt that comes with doing a degree, but you don't start paying that back until you earn above a certain amount after graduating, and after long period of time will be cancelled, so though it's important to note, there are also things in place to make it manageable and less of a short term concern.

Meanwhile, with the job there is obviously some security there in that it's a job right now, there isn't the uncertainty of still not knowing what will be there when you graduate. But at the same time, it may not be a job and industry that is 100% in line with your interests. You mention your degree would be in Computer Science, so I imagine that would be your preferred career path/sector to be working in, in the long term? The tech sector is always looking for new people, so long term a Computer Science degree would have a lot of career prospects with huge transferrable skills that you can apply to other industries as well, such as in Media, Marketing, Education, Civil Service amongst many others.

So with those things in mind, that's why I think it comes down to what would you enjoy doing most - would you enjoy studying a degree in a subject that I presume you enjoy with lots of crossover potential for career prospects, or would you be happier with a job now that may not be what you want to do long term?

I hope this helps, I realise this isn't advice that's particularly specific, but I hope it at least helps you weigh up your options in weigh that does make that decision a bit easier in some way.

If you have any other questions feel free to let me know and ask away! :smile:

Tom,
University of Chichester Student Rep and Alumni

Thanks
I am thinking to go uni because loans won't be a problem for me as I won't be getting them, it's just about the future, if I go for the job then there's a little chance of me getting promoted as people that work for the same position been working for a lot of years, or I could work for a year then do an apprenticeship with them? something like that but it is not guaranteed, if I go uni after 4 years with masters (If I do good in those years) I will have more job opportunities, I don't need the money for now just got to think about my future.

If you don’t care about the loans, and there’s little chance for promotion at the job, go for uni. A Comp Sci degree will open many doors. I did a Physics degree at uni and have been applying for tech jobs since I completed my degree, purely because they pay much better. Finally got a job and it pays much much better than what I would have gotten in a Physics job. Plus, if you care about the future, you’d definitely have a lot more job opportunities after uni. Think banking, finance, tech, engineering, even law, all I’ve seen are looking for some computer knowledge let alone a whole degree.
Yes that's what I'm thinking, still got 3 months to think about it, but most likely uni is a better option.
Original post by User367139488
If you don’t care about the loans, and there’s little chance for promotion at the job, go for uni. A Comp Sci degree will open many doors. I did a Physics degree at uni and have been applying for tech jobs since I completed my degree, purely because they pay much better. Finally got a job and it pays much much better than what I would have gotten in a Physics job. Plus, if you care about the future, you’d definitely have a lot more job opportunities after uni. Think banking, finance, tech, engineering, even law, all I’ve seen are looking for some computer knowledge let alone a whole degree.
Yes that's what I'm thinking, still got 3 months to think about it, but most likely uni is a better option.

You have 3 options pretty much.
1 Go to uni
2 Get a job for a couple of years then go to uni
3 Get a job and work your way up.

Option 3 is harder route because you are not always guaranteed promotion, and should for any reason you get made redundant, you have no job and no degree, and you have just your experience to get a job thats the same or similar.

Option 2 is not a bad option, but thats worth it if you want to stay out of student debt as best you can and save up your pennies before starting uni. By doing option 2, yes its nice because you have 'work experience' but its going to mean not very much if its unrelatable to your degree. You would not want to work as a carer, then jump in a physics degree, the carers job does not really add any value, apart from the fact you have been in the working world.

Option 1 - Now option 1 is a good choice and if you can afford your degree and not get into debt thats even better. However when applying for internships having that previous job might help you have the edge on others, especially if its relatable and can go on your CV. If its not relatable, then go for uni, and then bug the **** out of the supervisors re internships. My eldest did that and got an voluntary internship for first year, and thats now helped her get a paid one for second year. (ps shes at Lancaster (physics))
(edited 1 year ago)
yes I wrote that few days ago

I'd go for the job.
If you will take the job then you will gain skills and more importantly experience (which employers value). You can either work your way up, or get other better paid jobs elsewhere with your experience.
If you did want to, you could always go to uni later on down the line. The job won't always be there.

Hi there!

I am not quite sure which I would say you should go for, it is entirely up to you and what is important to you, not just presently but in the future as well. A lot of jobs regardless of the sector do require a degree to work there, it doesn't mean that you wouldn't be able to secure a job but the pool may be a little limited, especially when it comes to higher position roles.

If you were to go to university, the skills and experiences you garner from that are transferable to employment. Computer science is a very interesting degree with a wide range of career prospects even outside of the sector. If the loans aren't an issue for you I would recommend choosing to go to uni.

If computer science is something you are really interested in learning and applying in your future career, it would be a good idea to go to university to get a degree, as it shows to employers you are in a sense certified in the degree and have the skills expected from someone in that field.

I would say to give university a chance, not just for future career prospects but also because of how formative it is to you as an individual.

If you would like to speak to a current computer science student at Lancaster, ask them questions about the degree for example, I will include a link to the Ask a Student page so you can talk to them. I really like Lancaster and think it is a beautiful university, You also have the option to take on part-time work while at uni or do an internship during the summer that will help bolster your employability, so you don't have to feel you are completely missing out on gaining real work experience.

Good luck with your decision.

https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/

Best wishes,
Lancaster University Student Ambassador,
Glory.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending