The Student Room Group

What jobs prefer A-Level Maths,FM and Physics?

I have A-Level Maths, Further Maths and Physics and I'm going to look for a job. Since I expect I will struggle to find one given the recession I want to apply for something where my A-Levels will give me an advantage.

I have heard that accountancy or game design would be a good bet but just about every job out there needs 'experience' which I only have in oven cleaning, working in a craft shop as work experience at school and helping teaching very very basic maths to adults.

Basically any ideas on what jobs I would have greater chances given I have good A-Level results in these subjects. Thanks
I think in general the easiest way by far to get work is to work in hospitality - places are usually always looking for bar staff and kitchen staff. I always found it incredibly difficult getting something relevant to what I was doing. Maybe someone else has had better luck than me!
Is it not a bit too early to be looking for jobs like game design and accountancy? What's wrong with going to Uni?
More or less, your A-levels are about the minimum -- even some people with degrees don't have an "advantage".
Reply 3
Original post by jack.hadamard
Is it not a bit too early to be looking for jobs like game design and accountancy? What's wrong with going to Uni?
More or less, your A-levels are about the minimum -- even some people with degrees don't have an "advantage".

I am going to university next year.
Original post by oh_1993

The best advice I can give is to find an agency that offers such jobs, and to make some agent's life a bit more difficult.
Game jobs seem to require a lot of experience, but if you are lucky (and insistent) enough you may find something suitable. :smile:

In my opinion, most agents like well written CVs, and confident people that know exactly what they want. :tongue:
Original post by oh_1993
I have A-Level Maths, Further Maths and Physics and I'm going to look for a job. Since I expect I will struggle to find one given the recession I want to apply for something where my A-Levels will give me an advantage.

I have heard that accountancy or game design would be a good bet but just about every job out there needs 'experience' which I only have in oven cleaning, working in a craft shop as work experience at school and helping teaching very very basic maths to adults.

Basically any ideas on what jobs I would have greater chances given I have good A-Level results in these subjects. Thanks

An apprenticeship might be a good idea, you can earn decent pay in radiation. Thing is, most degrees in physics and maths require you to go the full distance, getting at least a bachelor's or a master's. This opens doors to extremely well paying stuff like AI and lecturing jobs. If you want to stick to this level, I have heard of people selling physics as a problem solving degree, and going to work in cs
Original post by oh_1993

Oh, is this for funding? Then the game design route would work, though I think tutoring would pay more
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by NoRJoke112233
Oh, is this for funding? Then the game design route would work, though I think tutoring would pay more

They were asking 11 years ago :smile:
Original post by chavvo
They were asking 11 years ago :smile:

Christ. I should've checked

Quick Reply

Latest