The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
RQ92
i think it was similar to an experiment but you can't get cause and effect and also calling it an experiment may get marked down a bit.
in the hypothesis you just had to state there would be a relationship not a difference :smile:

dam i said significant difference, ive just threw 25 marks down the drain :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:
Reply 81
mrk12a
Disaster, did a very good experiment that did not corrolate and a table instead of a graph. and

I did a table!
who did social approach here?? when i was talking about strengths i brought in A2 study examples and some AS examples, was it a good idea to back stuff up with other examples?!
Reply 83
I did the social approach!! And yeah I used studies from A2 and AS, my teacher advised us to, you can get away with just using AS but I think it limits what you can talk about!!
what did you talk about for e where it said about the social approach being used to explain situational- (can't remember the exact question) lol i thought it would be on usefullness :[
Reply 85
mrk12a
dam i said significant difference, ive just threw 25 marks down the drain :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

na not 25 you'll get credit for the rest of your points, just you might get the hypothesis wrong
I did about noise & cognitive performance
What worried me was that mine was quite close to an experiment in its method, however I'm positive it would still be classed as a correlational design
I said I'd increase the noise of some music in increments of 5db from 40db up to 70db
and record how many words people could correctly recall in a minute

On the surface it seems like it's an experiment, but am I right in thinking it's still a correlational design, as it's only really measuring an association between the variables

Overall I found the test really easy... but then again I thought that last time and came out with a D =|
you were manipulating the sound of the decibels each time and correlations don't involve any manipulation of variables, i was going to do that but decided to measure the sound outside the room before the participant entered to avoid it involving manipulation, but i'm sure it doesn't matter too much x
Reply 88
tiggerplease
I did about noise & cognitive performance
What worried me was that mine was quite close to an experiment in its method, however I'm positive it would still be classed as a correlational design
I said I'd increase the noise of some music in increments of 5db from 40db up to 70db
and record how many words people could correctly recall in a minute

On the surface it seems like it's an experiment, but am I right in thinking it's still a correlational design, as it's only really measuring an association between the variables

Overall I found the test really easy... but then again I thought that last time and came out with a D =|

yes mine and most people's studies were like experiments - but weren't.:woo:
RQ92
yes mine and most people's studies were like experiments - but weren't.:woo:

what did you do in yours?
I HAVE SO FAILED!!!

How could i have been so stupid???

I wrote that i'd use statistics obtained from the council to measure the social density, and crime statistics to measure the aggressive behaviours...and then correlate them...
Reply 91
Amywoody2009
what did you do in yours?

I did the question on social crowding and cog ability

I mentioned it was a correlation. I used an opportunity sample from a local sixth form school 20 males and 20 females. told them it was about cog ability. got consent. gave standardised instructions cards and told about right to withdraw and confidentiality etc.
task was to complete an IQ test while in a classroom full of other sixth formers in a lesson. The higher they scored on the IQ test the better the cognitive ability, social crowdin was no. of people in the room. correlated these two variables. debrief.
stated some controls and some materials

thats about it. :yep:
Sayah Shade
I HAVE SO FAILED!!!

I wrote that i'd use statistics obtained from the council to measure the social density, and crime statistics to measure the aggressive behaviours...and then correlate them...

where was yours set, what sample did you use??? doesn't sound too bad
do you think i'd get marked down for using a sample of 10 males and 10 females??? :[ as it may not be representative?? but i did say id use quota and use oppurtunity samples so i'd have some say over them to approach different ethnicities?!
Reply 94
OMG!

I think i did myn all So So WRONG :/

I selected option C..the one about social density(crowding) and helping behaviour.....I thought a correlation couldnt be a experiment so i thort i'd do a self report first...but then i changed it into an observation....:frown:
Reply 95
^ I did mine with an observation too :eek3:
Temperature and aggression. Ackh. I said 2 observers looking at aggressive acts in various places with differing temperatures + another researcher independently checking the temperature in each location to make the other 2 blindish about it.
Failed?

Social was good though, I think.
Reply 96
RQ92
I did the question on social crowding and cog ability

I mentioned it was a correlation. I used an opportunity sample from a local sixth form school 20 males and 20 females. told them it was about cog ability. got consent. gave standardised instructions cards and told about right to withdraw and confidentiality etc.
task was to complete an IQ test while in a classroom full of other sixth formers in a lesson. The higher they scored on the IQ test the better the cognitive ability, social crowdin was no. of people in the room. correlated these two variables. debrief.
stated some controls and some materials

thats about it. :yep:

That sounds good, although people will naturally score differently on an IQ test. I did the cognitive and sound one and got participants to do a simple memory test of everyday objects, with different levels of sound playing in the room.
Reply 97
Sayah Shade
I HAVE SO FAILED!!!

That isn't so wrong. But did you mention a sample that you would be looking at, like the areas, etc? Also did you mention independent and dependent variables?

Don't worry too much, you'll get marks somewhere within it.
for section A there was a page and a bit wasn't there, i went over that amount and did some more on page 19 at the back of the booklet where there was extra space, i am not sure whether i put a direction under my section A to look at the back of the booklet, does that mean they wouldn't mark that with my experiment stuff?
Reply 99
Amywoody2009
for section A there was a page and a bit wasn't there, i went over that amount and did some more on page 19 at the back of the booklet where there was extra space, i am not sure whether i put a direction under my section A to look at the back of the booklet, does that mean they wouldn't mark that with my experiment stuff?

No, all the pages get scanned in, and they should look through all of them. Did you put the question number at the back though?

Latest

Trending

Trending