The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
anyone who reckons they are fluent after just doing "gcses and a couple of exchanges" or by the end of A Levels is severely misguided. There is no chance.
The only actual way to be fluent is by living there for a period of time. I got A at A Level, did it at uni for a year then lived in Germany for 4 months and am doing it again at uni next week and i would say i was perhaps bordering on fluency.
Reply 21
yeas, you are absolutely right...
garethDT
My German teacher said that no matter what grade you get, you will be fluent by the time you complete A2, is this true?

Unless you spend all your time reading german books and newspapers, and watching german tv channels you won't be fluent. You may have a really good knowledge of how the language works but fluency comes from having to think in german rather than think in english and then think of how to say it in german and that only really happens after you've lived there for a while
Reply 23
garethDT
My German teacher said that no matter what grade you get, you will be fluent by the time you complete A2, is this true?

nein das ist total falsch!

seriously though, i got a high A at AS, and i am not fluent. most people here will tell you, even the ones who do well, that the only way to become truly fluent, is to live in Germany.
Reply 24
ant87
nein das ist total falsch!

seriously though, i got a *very* high A at AS, and i am not fluent. most people here will tell you, even the ones who do well, that the only way to become truly fluent, is to live in Germany.

Purely out of curiosity, just how high is *very* high ?
Reply 25
Fleece
anyone who reckons they are fluent after just doing "gcses and a couple of exchanges" or by the end of A Levels is severely misguided. There is no chance.
The only actual way to be fluent is by living there for a period of time. I got A at A Level, did it at uni for a year then lived in Germany for 4 months and am doing it again at uni next week and i would say i was perhaps bordering on fluency.

I never said I could speak it like a native... But I can get by in Germany and my German is definitely not bad so I thought I'd offer my help... :biggrin:
Reply 26
Yttrium
Purely out of curiosity, just how high is *very* high ?

lol, yes, i've edited that. it does sound slightly arrogant :redface: . i was just making the point, that with a high A at AS/A2, you are by no means fluent in a language.

Latest

Trending

Trending